Old 04-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #21
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Craig, that trip through the condo canyons of South Florida is only relaxing for the passengers. What with many, many timed bridge openings, no wake, minimum wake, 15" wake zones, crazy boaters all over the place the captain has his hands full.

I would say that applies to many, many stretches of the waterway.

I was at a bridge in West Palm Beach. Called for an opening on next scheduled opening 10 minutes ahead. The bridge tender said that I called too early. So, at the Commercial Blvd. Bridge near Ft. Lauderdale I was waiting and called 5 minutes ahead of bridge opening schedule. The bridge tender said I called too late for an opening. I asked for his name to
report him. The bridge opened with no further conversation. Not a fun day

We got held up at the Venetian West bridge. The gal refused to open it for three boats that were waiting to pass through. She said she couldn’t see us. We were right there. She made us all wait a half hour. When she did finally open she told the boat behind me that if he didn’t speed up she was going to close the bridge and he would have to wait another half hour. I guess she was having a bad day.

Needless to say, with any kind of good weather we run outside.

I would love have made the run outside on any of the segments. We checked every day and it sounded like the boats that were out there were getting bashed up pretty good. Strong N and NE winds along the whole southern coast.

Sounds like a great trip KJ. Only two nights at a marina so far sounds like my kind of cruise. The relaxation must be horrible

Bahamas still the eventual destination?

We were making some pretty good runs on the inside with a couple of 80- 85 mile days and even a 90 mile day. We anchored out more for economics than for adventurism. After running every day and anchoring every night, tying up in a marina with all its amenities certainly is appealing. We will probably tie up tomorrow at Dinner Key Marina and check out Coconut Grove for a day.
The Bahamas are starting to look like a no go. There are 8-10 foot waves out in the Gulf Stream right now and the north wind is not supposed to change for a while. We will start making our way south slowly and make a decision by the weekend.

Kj
I see your boat is a chung wha, mine also is a chung wha only a 44' I missed you yesterday as you must have went right by me in hollywood What is the name of your boat?

With all the crazies we had to deal with in Delray Beach and Jupiter over the weekend, we wanted to get an early start, expecting a difficult run through the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area. We left Lake Boca Raton in a driving rain around 7am and by the time we got to Hollywood, the rain had stopped and was a quite pleasant passage through the “condo canyons” as Don calls them. There wasn’t any boating traffic at all, and we made it down to Miami without any problems (except the Ven. West bridge).

My boat’s name is Avalon.

KJ, Welcome to Miami! If you need any local knowledge, just ask and I'll make something up. Seriously Healhustler and I live in Miami. If you have any questions we would be glad to help

Thanks.

We woke up this morning to see this sailboat up on the beach. He wasn’t there last night. It took two powerboats to pull him off. KJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HOLLYWOOD.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	18521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5178.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	18522  

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #22
Guru

I am. leaving Hollywood Thursday heading for the keys maybe I'll catch up to you in Key West

motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #23
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
"We woke up this morning to see this sailboat up on the beach. He wasn’t there last night. It took two powerboats to pull him off. KJ "

I wonder what kind of anchor he had?
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #24
Guru

Kj. are you staying in boot key today Tuesday or are you heading for Key West ?

I will try to give you a call on channel 16 when I get closer
Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #25
KJ
El Capitan

“Avalon” and “Bay Shack” (aka Motion30) at rest

In Key West

865 miles from home port. KJ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AVALON and BAY SHACK.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	19174   Click image for larger version

Name:	AVALON and BAY SHACK.2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	19175  
Old 05-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #26
Guru

Cool pics. almost feel like I am there
Old 05-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #27
FF
Guru

Cool pics. almost feel like I am there

Put your feet in a pail of cold water , have someone pour a pitcher of cold water over your head , and start tearing up packs of $100 bills ,

For the real boating experience!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #28
Guru

Ff. I was being a bit of a wise ass , as one of those boats in the picture is mine . but of course you are right abou t $100 bills. but the really nice part is the water temperature here is 83 degrees
Old 05-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #29
Guru

Btw. KJ and David aboard Avalon
have left Key West for their trip north . it was a pleasure meeting them . they both were two very nice guys , and true gentleman have a safe journey north men
Old 05-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #30
KJ
El Capitan

Adios Fla Keys.

We start our northbound trek back to S Carolina tomorrow. I can’t believe we’ve been here for a month already. Time does fly. We’ve had such a great time here; it’s going to be hard to leave.

We hope to spend more time visiting places that we passed by on the way down like St. Augustine, Fernandina Beach, Cumberland Island, Savannah, Beaufort, and Charleston.

I would like to mention that along with a cruising guide, we used Active Captain quite often on our journey down the ICW. It proved to be a valuable resource for locating safe anchorages and we plan on using it again on our way back. I highly recommend it.

I would like to thank Michael (aka motion30) of “Bay Shack” for his assistance with our dinghy/outboard problems which have been nicely resolved. It was a pleasure getting to know him and I hope our paths will cross again on future excursions.

It looks like we are going to have some stormy weather for the rest of the week so we will spend the rest of today securing the boat. We will try Hawk Channel back to Virginia Key; if it gets too crazy we will go inside.

We caught a real nice King Mackerel on the trip back to Marathon. Grilled it for dinner. Can’t beat what Mother Ocean provides. KJ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SOUTHERNMOST MOONRISE.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	19425  
Old 05-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #31
KJ
El Capitan

110 miles today. Marathon (Boot Key) to Virginia Key (Miami). Whew!

12 hours non-stop. Totally exhausted, but the forecast is for more of the same all week, so we wanted to get to Miami ASAP.

We hauled butt up Hawk Channel playing dodge’em with the storms all day.

We had to drive through a pretty nasty cell off Islamorada, but we did manage to catch a couple of nice Mackerel and a Tuny for dinner. Not too sure how smart hanging a couple of fishing poles off the transom with lightning bouncing around is though.

Red Sky in the Morning. Should ‘a known better. KJ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RED SKY IN THE MORNING.2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	19474  
Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #32
Guru

Welcome to Miami!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #33
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
KJ, are you still at Key Biscayne? We are on the boat at Ft. Pierce, are you coming this way?
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #34
KJ
El Capitan

We are just south of Ft. Pierce, hanging off the hook at Jensen Beach. We just pulled in a couple of hours ago. Kinda bouncy with the east wind, but not too bad. We made the run up from Boca Raton this morning. Lovely weather, lightning and thunder all morning, but when it cleared we had a very nice ride up through the Palm Beaches.

We are trying to get to St. Augustine by Sat. so we will be moving out at 0 dark thirty tomorrow. Where are you located? We’ll give you a blast on the horn if we pass by you (just kidding).

Do you know if it’s worth hanging a line off the stern going up the Indian River?

Saw this boat in B Raton. Any relation? KJ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MOONSTRUCK.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	19564  
Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #35
Guru

KJ, we are the Fort Pierce City Marina. That's just before the first bridge. The Indian River is really a lagoon. There is an amazing assortment of fish living in it. It wouldn't hurt to hang a line over the side.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #36
Guru

KJ on Avalon blew by Fort Pierce about 8:30 am. I think I saw him going under the first bridge. He was anchored at Jenson Beach a few miles south of here last night. Possibly where Daddyo anchored on the way up. Exchanged greetings on VHF. He is making good time.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #37
KJ
El Capitan

Another 100+ mile day yesterday. Pulled into Titusville Marina just minutes before the sky opened up. They had to shut the fuel dock down because of the lightning. I can see why they call Florida the lightning capital of the US.

We got fuel this morning and spent the rest of day provisioning and cleaning.
We were treated to a rocket launch at Cape Canaveral this evening. We walked to the top of the Max Brewer Bridge and got to watch the whole show. Very cool.

We’ll make a stop at Flagler Beach tomorrow, and then on to St. Augustine on Sunday and Cumberland Island on Tues.

I think I’m enjoying scenery more going back, than I did coming down, even though we are covering more miles each day. Quite often I find myself saying “I don’t remember seeing that”, and my nephew says "that’s because we were going in the other direction”. Duh! KJ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SUNSET ON THE INDIAN RIVER.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	19644   Click image for larger version

Name:	RAINBOW.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	19645   Click image for larger version

Name:	LAUNCH.2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	19646   Click image for larger version

Name:	SALOON le TUB.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	19647  
Old 05-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #38
Guru

I see you past Le Tub. I've been wanting to go there ever since I saw it on the TV show "Glades". They are supposed to have great burgers and what a great place to boat watch.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #39
KJ
El Capitan

Northbound

The dark side of cruising. This happened right across from the mooring field we are staying at. KJ

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- Rescue crews say two people are dead and another is in serious condition after their boat crashed into a dock in St. Augustine.

It happened just after 10 p.m. Sunday at a dock in the Pelican Reef neighborhood.

Investigators aren't releasing a cause of the accident or if alcohol was related.

Officers say the three were returning to the Vilano Boat Ramp after a day of boating and that they were all ejected into the water after the collision.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #40
KJ
El Capitan

We spent a couple of busy days in St. Augustine playing tourist. It’s a very old city with lots of interesting places to visit. We did the old Spanish fort; Castillo de San Marcos, St. Georges St. and a bunch of other places.

Our next stop was Cumberland Island Nat’l Seashore where we spent a couple of days exploring and relaxing. I can’t say enough about how beautiful this island is. It’s accessible only by boat and has miles and miles of deserted beaches, a really cool forest of old oaks draped with Spanish moss, and of course the wild (kinda) horses. The anchorage was quiet and peaceful, shared with only one other boat. I highly recommend this stop for ICW travelers.

I can’t believe we’re almost home. We’re currently anchored in a quiet marshland creek about 30 miles north of Charleston.
We’re probably going to try a long run tomorrow to make to home port, N. Myrtle Beach. It would be an 80+ mile run, and the weather is supposed to be crappy, but at this point, it’s like the old horse can smell the barn. KJ

PS Hell Gate is still scary at high water.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CASTILLO de SAN MARCOS.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	19997   Click image for larger version

Name:	ST. AUGUSTINE.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	19998   Click image for larger version

Name:	CUMBERLAND ISLAND BEACH.2.jpg
Views:	83