So, You Think You Want To Go To Sea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KMA

Maybe these will change your mind:

Attachments

• cruise-1.jpg
    cruise-1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 116
  • getting wet.jpg
    getting wet.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 142
  • holy $h!t.jpg
    holy $h!t.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 124
  • not fun.jpg
    not fun.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 141
  • ouch.jpg
    ouch.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 114
  • overbeam-1.jpg
    overbeam-1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 140
  • port bow-1.jpg
    port bow-1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 112
  • port bow-2.jpg
    port bow-2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 152
  • stbd bow.jpg
    stbd bow.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 112
  • wet deck.jpg
    wet deck.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 146
  • where am i.jpg
    where am i.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 125
YIKES. I flew with a guy that used to be a Merchant Marine. He used to work on an 800ft boat(iron ore I think) and he said the boat, down in the cargo hold, had a center aisle with those industrial "caged" lights overhead. In heavy seas he said you could watch that row of lights "wiggle" in a vertical motion. He said you could see the end of the "hallway" disappear as the boat flexed.....freaky.

I spent 4 yrs in uncle sams canoe club (US NAVY) from 6/68 to 6/72 stationed on a ship out of Naples Itlay. I wish I had kept some of the pictures I had from the 3 crossing we did. North Atlantic underway replenishment of the carrier JFK when she was new. One moment you're looking at the bottom of the flight deck elevator, which is at it lowered position, the next moment you're looking down on the flight deck. Both ends of an 800' ship out of the water at the sametime, huge prop slapping the water as it goes back in, seems like it was shaking the whole ship. Waves that you could see from the bridge that were taller than the ship. Man I've seen and been in the big water when it was nasty. It's what gives me a great respect for Mother Nature and what she can deal out.

Been there done that too. Around 1970 or it might have been in 1971 I was on a 327' Coast Guard Weather Cutter in the North Atlantic during a storm the Quartermaters were logging 70'+ in the ship's log as that was as high as they could accurately estimate the seas. The wind speed indicator in Combat, where I worked, read up to 100kts and it was pinging the needle to the stop. You said it right LarryW it gives you a large shot of respect for what Mother Nature can do when she ain't happy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom