Old 08-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #21
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
CeeBee, i agree with you in regards to the red lights. I find them too bright on our trawler also. I usually turn them off for my watch.

We have a rule during overnights that no one goes outside at night without a second person awake and watching them.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #22
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post

We have a rule during overnights that no one goes outside at night without a second person awake and watching them.
I have a rule that anyone going on deck alone during the day has to tell the helmsman.

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #23
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
As you know the fuel burn is really dependent on the sea state.
And a clean bottom!
Old 08-11-2015, 04:25 PM   #24

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Emily B
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44'
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
There are many beautiful moments on SF Bay.

AHH Yes right off Sausalito, that it one of our favorite places to drop the hook on a lunch or dinner cruise!
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
And a clean bottom!
HAHA Matt, Clean Bottoms (especially with 50mm anodes) are the best!

Update on the Anodes. We scored the zincs in MDR from Dennis (who said to tell you hey) and got a referral from harbor patrol for a diver here in Avalon. So hopefully we'll be sporting some more silver bling soon!
Old 08-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
That was an awesome description of your trip. Looking forward to more.

Loved your safety planning.

I'd also like to know more about the FLIR system you're using.

OD
Hi,

Thanks for reading. We're sitting in Avalon Harbor getting ready to continue South tomorrow to San Diego.

At the time we got the Flir night vision it was the "middle" level. It is fixed and does not rotate which added cost. Honestly haven't needed it but this model was an upgrade on Image quality (which is the point of it after all) from the entry level unit. The zoom works great and I wouldn't travel without it

Raymarine E70120 T253 Thermal Fixed Mount Camera ( 640 X 480,
30 Hz ) NTSC

Mast Mount SeaView SM-14-F for FLIR M and Raymarine T series
Old 08-13-2015, 01:18 AM   #27

City: Seal Beach, California
Vessel Name: Snooker (for now.....)
Vessel Model: 1981 34 Californian LRC
You meet the nicest people on boats! Just had the opportunity to meet Chris and Emily in Avalon Harbor. Good people. Wish I was headed south with them.

Gotta love the friends you meet on Trawler Forum!

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Bustlebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustlebomb View Post
You meet the nicest people on boats! Just had the opportunity to meet Chris and Emily in Avalon Harbor. Good people. Wish I was headed south with them.

Gotta love the friends you meet on Trawler Forum!
Hey Matt you DO meet the nicest people on boats! Great spending time with you and Shannon in Avalon! Look forward to seeing you guys again and keeping in touch. Safe Travels and adventures.

Southbound was a Nice run to San Diego (although with all of the war ships and helicopters you feel a bit like you are entering a war zone Great people (and FOOD) at the San Diego Yacht Club. Our generator sea water impeller bit the dust and Peter one of the members who owns Explorer Marine Service had one of his guys over to fix it within an hour.

Talk soon!
Old 08-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #29

Trip Update

Hi All

Update on our trip.

After spending a couple of days in Marina Del Rey we made the quick uneventful trip to Catalina and were lucky enough to snag a ball in Avalon. The original plan was two nights but we always extend our stay because it is such a magical place, so we added a third.. Met awesome peeps, Matt and Shannon (Bustlebomb) and Jerry and Joyce from Long Beach.

Made the trip over to Avalon and down to San Diego on ½ a tank of fuel. Forgot to put the drain stopper in the dingy so that made for an exciting launch in Avalon J I quickly jumped in and plugged it.

Starting a list of needed “spares” , Bay Marine in SF “forgot” to put on the prop zincs after doing the bottom,. Matt Peterson (fstbttms) caught it, but it was the day before we pulled out and he didn’t have the Beneteau 50mm’s in stock. Thus have been chasing zincs and divers down the coast. Got turned on to BoatZincs.com and the drop shipped them to Marina Del Rey.

The Raw Water impeller on the Gen Set bit the dust and thanks to Peter at Explorer Marine Services in San Diego got a quick fix and an extra two as “insurance”.

The 60+ mile run from Avalon to San Diego is a beautiful open water trip. Swells were advertised as 3-4’ but definitely had about an hour of 4-6 but the wave period made the ride comfortable although the boats going uphill were getting a little “wet”. When making the trip, keep a look out for “kelp islands” floating around well offshore. We passed almost a dozen 25- 30 miles off. You can see some of them because birds are on them but others you need to keep a good eye out for.

You will cross the shipping lane a couple of hours out of Catalina, there was quite a bit of traffic we navigated around. Fortunately their course and speed are easy to calculate as they are using AIS but very few of the recreational boaters have AIS on. We take that for granted in the SF Bay Area due to all of the Fog as it adds an extra layer of safety.

San Diego is beautiful , staying at San Diego Yacht Club. Great people and the food is worth the visit!.

If coming to San Diego from the North stay at least 3 miless off as the kelp beds extend out up to two miles. You’re good heading to Buoy SD then following the channel in. Also keep an ear out on 16 as there were several warships transiting in and out and some exercises offshore. They will hail you if they don’t like your course and ask you to chat with them on 10 or 12.

Hanging here for another day or two then heading uphill to Marina Del Rey.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #30

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post

Made the trip over to Avalon and down to San Diego on ½ a tank of fuel. Forgot to put the drain stopper in the dingy so that made for an exciting launch in Avalon
Easy to forget the dink plug! I twist-tie mine to the corded boom control so I'm reminded of it every time I go to lower the dinghy.

I need "foolproof" techniques like this for reasons that are becoming all too obvious!

Please feel free to share yours, ASAP.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #31
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
awesome. Pics for us old guys?
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
awesome. Pics for us old guys?

Here ya go! Old is only a state of mind 😀Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439751801.044865.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	43217Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439751827.669374.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	43218Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439751863.122249.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	43219Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439751884.898478.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	43220Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439752003.849161.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	43221Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439752097.917420.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	43222
Old 08-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #33

The 100 miles of San Diego to Marina Del Rey

We left San Diego at 7 am for the uphill 100 mile trip puling into Marina Del Rey at 430.
First couple of hours seas were 4-6 at 8-9 seconds which led to a classic comment from my wife “ I like going downhill better”. I said we could continue to Mexico …… “ Comfortable ride in the small seas but the wave period provided for some steep sets. Boat was extremely stable as we took them about 45 degrees of f the bow. Smoothed out until the afternoon winds kicked up to 17-20 knots and the wind waves against the current required we slow to 6-8 knots to keep from getting beat up to bad. Those are conditions we encounter all of the time in the bay so we felt home.

The trip up the coast was flawless, lots of heavy traffic where the shipping lanes merge outside of Long Beach, we cut through just inside the three oil platforms.
We secured a new slip for the Emily B in Marina Del Rey where we’re going to keep her for a couple of months to explore the Southern coast and Channel Islands. Almost everyone in the Marina we’re at are liveaboards including a couple who have circumnavigated and have some great stories we’ll be hearing.

This was our second trip in two years down the coast and we’re happy to be putting some miles under the keel of the Emily B. Macerator pump bit the dust on the trip up from San Diego and is added to the list of “spares” to have on board. Starboard Raw water filter picked up quite a bit of seaweed but other than that another great adventure.

If you’re thinking about taking your own ……. Just do it.

Tags
beneteau, california, coastal, emily b, swift trawler 44