Old 10-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
From Anacortes, just to knock around for a few days and not go so far afield (Sucia, Stuart, Pender) from your ultimate route, to keep you nearer to the Straits in case a weather break makes it a good time to start scooting on down south you can make a short jag to Cypress Island, catch a mooring at Cypress head or better yet anchor in the aforementioned Eagle Harbor, where there are great wilderness trails and a nice beach. Then over to the moorings on the east side of Jones Island, ditto. From there tour around a bit on the boat, then over to Turn Island, another little wilderness retreat with moorings and a good beach. You are now positioned to make a very short hop over to Friday Harbor or on out to Port Angeles or Victoria for that last bit of civilization on your way out. I think we already established Neah Bay as a top up spot for fuel.

PS: The weather along the entire Northern California and southern Oregon coast has been absolutely perfect this past week, including today.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
We actually liked Cypress Head better, as it has fewer mooring buoys but the same access to the best hiking in the San Juans.
The mooring buoys at Cypress Head are just about gone. When we were there late last fall there were three, and one of them was so close to shore we would have been hesitant to use it. Last I heard there was only one (or possibly two) left. And according to the person telling use this, one of them (or the only one) is the one too close to the beach.

The current swirls through the little cove pretty strong and we would be hesitant to anchor there.

Hopefully the DNR will replace the missing buoys because it is a very nice spot. But they seem to have a pretty hands-off policy on their properties so I suspect the replacement buoys will be a long time coming. :-(

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post

PS: The weather along the entire Northern California and southern Oregon coast has been absolutely perfect this past week, including today.
Wifey B: Calm seas (relatively) and bikini weather. Looked at Accuweather and San Fran talking about 79 and 80 degrees as a "heat wave." Now that made me laugh. That's winter time for us.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #24

City: Oakland,Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Calm seas (relatively) and bikini weather. Looked at Accuweather and San Fran talking about 79 and 80 degrees as a "heat wave." Now that made me laugh. That's winter time for us.
It's been amazing. I took a charter out yesterday on the bay. Flew a big Asymetric spinnaker with nine peoe sitting on deck watching
Me do it alone. Today I'm on Amtrak headed to San Diego to pick up a delivery back to SF. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, cause it looks like I'm going to
Motor North in a sail boat, then turn around and head South in a motorboat. Hoping this amazing weather holds. I'm loving every minute of it, and my girlfriend real deserves a blissful carriage southbound. So stoked to try the trawler cruising in what looks like a pretty amazing part of the world.
Lutarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #25
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The mooring buoys at Cypress Head are just about gone. When we were there late last fall there were three, and one of them was so close to shore we would have been hesitant to use it. Last I heard there was only one (or possibly two) left. And according to the person telling use this, one of them (or the only one) is the one too close to the beach.

The current swirls through the little cove pretty strong and we would be hesitant to anchor there.

Hopefully the DNR will replace the missing buoys because it is a very nice spot. But they seem to have a pretty hands-off policy on their properties so I suspect the replacement buoys will be a long time coming. :-(
We were just there last month and there were four buoys. Two were open upon our arrival. We weren't so sure about the innermost buoy either, so we opted for an outer mooring. A C&C 38 came in late in the evening and took the one closest to shore. The next day we went by and asked what the depth was. They said at zero tide it was 12.5 feet deep. I'd estimate that buoy to be 150-175' from shore.

Yes, the current can run pretty strong, especially on the outer buoys. Next time, if either one of the two inner buoys are open, we'll grab it. And I agree, I would not be comfortable anchoring there!

Good to know that DNR is at least trying to maintain their buoys. It sure is a wonderful spot for being so close to Anacortes.
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
Darren--- Thanks a lot for bringing us up to date on the buoy status. We go to Eagle Harbor quite often during the winter (weather permitting) so it's good to know there are also new buoy opportunities down at Cypress Head.

Cheers,
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #27
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutarious View Post
It's been amazing. I took a charter out yesterday on the bay. Flew a big Asymetric spinnaker with nine peoe sitting on deck watching
Me do it alone. Today I'm on Amtrak headed to San Diego to pick up a delivery back to SF. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, cause it looks like I'm going to
Motor North in a sail boat, then turn around and head South in a motorboat. Hoping this amazing weather holds. I'm loving every minute of it, and my girlfriend real deserves a blissful carriage southbound. So stoked to try the trawler cruising in what looks like a pretty amazing part of the world.
Is your southbound trip in progress ?
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #28

[QUOTE=bligh;277285]Is your southbound trip in progress ?[/

That depends on what you mean by "under way." We had a really good trip up from Olympia to Seattle and then Anacortes. The boat has been flawless, and my learning curve on the handling/docking stuff is better than predicted. We spent two nights in the Islands and came back to Anacortes so that the guests could head south in the car, and I went and got the delivery guys from Seattle on Sunday.
Since then its been really windy in Anacortes and even worse outside the sound. Not a chance of getting South right now, so we have been making ourselves busy with boat chores like packing the dinghy in the cockpit and keeping water out of the forward hatch. Looks like a few more days at least before we can head out of the sound and turn left. So it goes. Anacortes is great.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #29
Guru

Thanks for the update! Keep us posted. Hopefully a weather window will open up for you. Looks like some strong southerlies are going to be blowing off the coast for a while.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #30
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
[QUOTE=Lutarious;277506]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Is your southbound trip in progress ?[/

That depends on what you mean by "under way." We had a really good trip up from Olympia to Seattle and then Anacortes. The boat has been flawless, and my learning curve on the handling/docking stuff is better than predicted. We spent two nights in the Islands and came back to Anacortes so that the guests could head south in the car, and I went and got the delivery guys from Seattle on Sunday.
Since then its been really windy in Anacortes and even worse outside the sound. Not a chance of getting South right now, so we have been making ourselves busy with boat chores like packing the dinghy in the cockpit and keeping water out of the forward hatch. Looks like a few more days at least before we can head out of the sound and turn left. So it goes. Anacortes is great.
I posted this useful link over in the Seattle to San Francisco thread, in case you haven't got it. You're doing the right thing!

U.S. Coast Guard Bar Observations

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #31
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
The weather windows are few and far between this time of year. You may need to look at staying put until spring. You might get lucky.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Laguna beach
Vessel Name: Stormy
Vessel Model: Grandbanks 46 europa
We are from calif and thought we would bring boat home soon after we bought her in May. After a couple of cruises, we decided to live her in the pnw. We save on slip fees and taxes plus get great cruising in exchange for the inconvenience of not having immediate access to our floating home. You may re consider
Gbonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbonas View Post
We are from calif and thought we would bring boat home soon after we bought her in May. After a couple of cruises, we decided to live her in the pnw. We save on slip fees and taxes plus get great cruising in exchange for the inconvenience of not having immediate access to our floating home. You may re consider
IIRC, this fellow made it to Alameda with no issues. I think he stayed way offshore for the majority of the trip.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
IIRC, this fellow made it to Alameda with no issues. I think he stayed way offshore for the majority of the trip.
I did make it home. We actually bought the boat as a live-aboard, and since we don't have another place to live, we didn't really have a choice to leave it up in Anacortes, as nice as that would be.

The trip down was a mix of off shore and coastal, with the first run from Neah Bay to Grays Harbor being the shortest and closest to the land. That really sucked. Bad wind and seas at the cape, followed by a long day of headwinds and current, and a rather "exciting" entry to Grays very late at night.

We went out about 60 miles for the trip from Grays to Crescent City, and had a lovely smooth trip while we watched thunderstorms to our left almost the entire trip. We made such good time in the smooth water that we kept going and made Eureka Ca. as out next stop. From there it was an easy coastal chug down to the SF Bay and home to Alameda.

Im normally a sailor, and have done many deliveries along the coast from Mexico to Canada. This is the first time I have done it in a power boat, and although some of the variables change, the process is the same. Knowing the speed, range and your particular boats ability to handle wind and waves is a necessary part of any trip planning. (Example: Im delivering a 42 foot Catalina this week from Southern California. I know it can motor pretty fast in smooth water, and I also know that I don't trust the in-mast furling on a light cruising boat like this, so Im not going to sail out past the weather system that is coming down the coast. instead, I'm going to sail up to Point Conception, and hide out in Cojo until it goes past, then motor the rest of the trip to the Bay... Not as good as sailing the coast, but it beats breaking a clients boat and or something much worse.)