Old 06-06-2017, 08:49 PM   #1
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Rock Hall, MD, to Ottawa, ON, CA, and back

With any kind of luck and several months' preparatory work, we're planning to depart Rock Hall, MD, for points north and west, early next week. Chesapeake Bay, Delaware River and Bay, the Atlantic coast of NJ, Hudson River, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Rideau Canal, Ottawa River, St Lawrence River, Richelieu River & Chamby Canal, Lake Champlain, NY State Canal, and home.

I'll post a little something here as things happen.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
Guru

City: Trenton
You are in for the trip of a lifetime. Bon Voyage!
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vermont
Awesome trip. We did all the same, except in Sorrell we kept going out the St Lawrence and came around New Brunswick, PEI, and Nova Scotia.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. DH. We've done portions of that trip as well and can echo the above sentiments.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #5

City: North Port, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
We did that route in 2015 and most of that route in 2016. It is a great trip.
The Canadian canals are going to be busy this year, with the 150 yr celebration in Canada and the lock passes are free. The Rideau Canal is still one of my favorite cruising grounds.

Enjoy
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Note NY canals are also free this yr.
Be sure to sign up for NY Canals Notice to Mariners. Can be Txt or email your choice. There have been a number of lo & hi water warnings as well as lock closures this yr already.
Also be sure to check ahead of looking for marinas on Lk Ont & St Lawrence...emergency hi water conditions creating havoc in many towns and marinas.
Good luck...that is a wonderful itinerary.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Note NY canals are also free this yr.
Be sure to sign up for NY Canals Notice to Mariners. Can be Txt or email your choice. There have been a number of lo & hi water warnings as well as lock closures this yr already.
Also be sure to check ahead of looking for marinas on Lk Ont & St Lawrence...emergency hi water conditions creating havoc in many towns and marinas.
Good luck...that is a wonderful itinerary.
Same thing on Ottawa river, at least one marina has been totally destroyed and won't open this year, another one will have only half capacity as they lost half of their docks.
On our side we aim to depart next Monday if our familly issues are resolved since then.
Hope to cross your path on Ottawa river!

Enjoy!

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:23 AM   #8
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeckrotte View Post
With any kind of luck and several months' preparatory work, we're planning to depart Rock Hall, MD, for points north and west, early next week. Chesapeake Bay, Delaware River and Bay, the Atlantic coast of NJ, Hudson River, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Rideau Canal, Ottawa River, St Lawrence River, Richelieu River & Chamby Canal, Lake Champlain, NY State Canal, and home.

I'll post a little something here as things happen.
That sounds like an incredible voyage! Do you have any rough schedule or estimate of how long you'll be out? I have considered doing part of that trip and wondered about that.
BD
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:46 AM   #9
Guru

BD, I made a spreadsheet and estimated daily passages for the whole route w/o estimates for the few (but important) tide-affected portions. Turned out to be 45 days in which we'd be moving the boat. We simply doubled that for an estimated duration of the adventure. I then made a calendar on the spreadsheet and transferred the passages to it but we are careful to not call this a schedule.

The spreadsheet is an Excell and I'll send it to those interested (or post it here if I knew how).
Old 06-09-2017, 06:54 AM   #10
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
PM sent. Thanks!
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #11

City: Toronto ON
The record setting heights of Lake Ontario must not be ignored.

Give or take 3 feet higher at the moment, depending on what benchmark the foaming alarmists are using.

Just take care, discount your depth readings, and watch, the breakwaters are hiding under water all over the place.

RB
Roamer Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:52 PM   #12
Guru

First day. A little short of intentions; we stopped in the basin at Chesapeake City on the C&D canal, rather than run through to Delaware City.

Who knew? Apparently the Norcold Fridge does not run unless the engines or the genset are/is running. Should have known; the sailboat's Grunnert icebox was the same.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3120.jpg  
Old 06-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
First day. A little short of intentions; we stopped in the basin at Chesapeake City on the C&D canal, rather than run through to Delaware City.

Who knew? Apparently the Norcold Fridge does not run unless the engines or the genset are/is running. Should have known; the sailboat's Grunnert icebox was the same.
Which you a nice peaceful trip! Enjoy the journey!

Be safe.

L.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:29 AM   #14

City: Albany, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Tranquility
Vessel Model: Trojan F32
We did the same trip last year, it was great. I didn't see any mention of the 1000 Islands.
I hope your planning on seeing this also. We worked our way as far as Brockville, than back to Kingston and the Rideau.
kenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #15
Guru

Day two finds us 'back on schedule'. Cape May NJ after a fairly rough but uneventful trip down Delaware Bay. Blowing 15-20 kts from the east with a fetch of as much as 10 miles made for a bumpy ride for about the last 15 miles.

A pod (of about 5) of dolphins greeted us at the entrance of the Cape May Canal, Delaware end.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3121.jpg   Dolphins.jpg  
Old 06-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #16
Guru

We are really liking your boat and the way you store your kayak gave me a very good idea!!!
Happy cruising Doug.

Regards,

L.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #17
Guru

16 June, Friday AM. Continued to blow 15+kts from the east yesterday, so we traveled from Cape May to Atlantic City via the ICW. We draw 3'-6" and touched down several times. Atlantic City is perfectly ghastly, colored lights, graphics on the buildings (Harrah's is particularly awful!).

Looks MUCH nicer in the AM: Atlantic City to the left, the causeway to Brigantine (with the houses) on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3122.jpg   IMG_3123.jpg  
Old 06-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
16 June, Friday AM. Continued to blow 15+kts from the east yesterday, so we traveled from Cape May to Atlantic City via the ICW. We draw 3'-6" and touched down several times. Atlantic City is perfectly ghastly, colored lights, graphics on the buildings (Harrah's is particularly awful!).

Looks MUCH nicer in the AM: Atlantic City to the left, the causeway to Brigantine (with the houses) on the right.
I was looking at Waterway Guide alerts earlier and noticed the NJ ICW area. I reported shoaling at mile 5, 17, 29.5, 31, 46, 53, 57 and 60. So basically the entire section. Not surprised you touched. Would definitely not encourage someone with a large draft through there. We always go outside from Cape May to Atlantic City.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #19
Guru

We continued up the ICW from Atlantic City to Barnegate Light. I stuck the boat but good on a mis-charted sandbar; the Garmin Blue Chart graphics were wrong while their plotted marks were right! Two hours of tugging by TowBoatUS got us off. I think you could do the whole passage with 5' draft but you'd need to be clairvoyant.

Hanging on a BLYC mooring in total protection We'll be here for the upcoming days; weather on the Atlantic will be unsuitable. 35 nm in rough seas? We think not!

Harrah's looked better totally fog-shrouded. Keen eyes, and with the help of good imagination, might see the Barnegate Light.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3124.jpg   IMG_3125.jpg  
Old 06-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #20
Guru

Be careful when you will go through Rideau canal, some areas are shallow

L.