Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #21
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
RE: Rio Dulce, Guatemala

Bill,

I'm assuming that you made the trip to Guatemala for your boat work because the cost*was substantially less than a local yard. I would think they would have a good yard in Placencia.* What kind of rates did the Guatemala yard charge you (if you don't mind me asking)?**

In 2014 I will probably be heading down your way. I will be doing some reef research with the folks from Project Aware. They are assembling an expedition to your part of the Caribbean.*I want to do some whale shark diving at Gladden Spit while I'm there.

If the Guatemala yard work rates are reasonable enough to make the trip, I would consider making*it a destination.

Your boat looks great. Are you still diving?

I like my Belikin real cold.************** KJ*
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #22

City: Caye Caulker
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: 36' Marine Trader, D C

I dont know of a yard in Placencia.The price for a good yard hand in Gautemala is about a hundred Q a day,or about US $15.00, I estimate the complete job I got would have been$15000.00 in the States, it was around $6K there. What kind of research will you be doing on our little reef ? Bring Lion fish spears, bastards are everywhere. BB
belizebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #23
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Rio Dulce, Guatemala

Quote:
belizebill wrote:
What kind of research will you be doing on our little reef ? Bring Lion fish spears, bastards are everywhere. BB

BB,

Yes, we will be researching the Lionfish "problem".

The Lionfish infestation in the Caribbean and the East Coast has become significantly dangerous as they are already*threatening several native species, and could easily wipe out many more. That's why many countries now offer a bounty on these non-indigenous predators. These voracious fish did not migrate to this part of the world, they were illegally transported here.

The problem is that in the Caribbean, the Lionfish have no natural predators themselves, so they can breed unchecked. All the hunting and disposing of Lionfish by divers will not make a serious dent in their population. When I was diving in Honduras, we would bag every one that we saw, and the next day there would be another one right in the same spot. They were all over the place.

In the Bahamas we were starting to do research on getting some of the local species to regard Lionfish as prey food. We were having some success getting Sea Anemones to capture them and digest them, but it's a long and tedious process.* Most predators take one look at the impressive array of spines that a Lionfish displays and leave them alone. *

There are many organizations that are trying to find a solution to the Lionfish invasion in several different ways.

We will also be doing a census the various local shark populations.

Hope to see you when I get down there.******************** KJ *****

-- Edited by KJ on Friday 2nd of March 2012 03:14:17 PM
Attached Thumbnails
lionfish.b.jpg   lionfish.jpg   sea anemone.a.jpg   bahamian sunset.jpg  
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #24
Guru

Rio Dulce, Guatemala

Bruno's?? What is this you speak of??? *LOL *The Admiral and I and a Dr. friend of mine and his wife (Local from just down the road from Bruno's!) were there for a week fall of 2010. *We rented rooms at Bruno's and used it as a base to go tourista. *Great trip.

<a target="_self"></a>

Here is a sunrise view from the top of the Rio Dulce bridge our last day down there. *I can't imagine how people get sucked in to the beauty!

<a></a>

-- Edited by twiisted71 on Friday 2nd of March 2012 09:38:55 PM

-- Edited by twiisted71 on Friday 2nd of March 2012 09:40:12 PM
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #25

Nice,huh,BB
Old 03-06-2012, 05:07 AM   #26
Guru

definitely had its charms. Does the bar/nightclub next door still keep everyone awake? Being the early riser of the group and from out in the La sticks I'd go sit on the dock early in the morning and chat with the night watchman while he fished. The others thought it was a little creepy having this guy toting a gun roaming around the property at all hours of the night! LOL

Is that big a$$ed Catamaran still wasting away there?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #27
Doc
Guru

Moonstruck wrote: Otis, I am going down to Palmetto Wednesday. A great friend and cruising buddy passed away. He lived in Riviera Dunes.

Don, I just saw this. Who was he? We spent a lot of time at Riveria Dunes about 6-7 years ago.

Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Thanks for the great photos,I have nevr been there and sure I never will get there so nice to arm chair travel!!Thanks,Bill Smith
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #29
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Doc wrote:
Moonstruck wrote: Otis, I am going down to Palmetto Wednesday. A great friend and cruising buddy passed away. He lived in Riviera Dunes.

Don, I just saw this. Who was he? We spent a lot of time at Riveria Dunes about 6-7 years ago.

Doc
*It was Bill Evans. *He had a Carver, Jan E XXVII, in a slip he owned on the community dock. *They had lived in Riviera Dunes for several years

That's right. *This was his 27th boat. *He had it worse than I do. *We had cruised all over, and traveled the world together. *He was just a really good guy.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #30

Yea that giant cat next door is still there wasting away. I like the fack that the little guy with the big roams around all night. On wweek ends you can hear that disco across across the street. Most annoying is the jake breaks on the semi trucks coming down the bridge. BB
Old 03-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #31
Doc
Guru

Thanks. I didn't know him. Please ignore the PM.

Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:04 AM   #32
Guru

Rio Dulce, Guatemala

BB have you had the opportunity to do any touristy stuff? If you are into historical things (I mean REALLY old) you might enjoy a trip up to Tikal. We even saw lots of neat wildlife that we don't have here in the USofA. Like irridessant (sp) Turkeys, Coatis, wild monkeys, etc. *The scale of the ruins is hard to convey but there are people on the upper sections of the one in the picture as well as on the ground.

<a target="_self"></a>

<a target="_self"></a>

-- Edited by twiisted71 on Saturday 10th of March 2012 07:06:38 AM
Old 03-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #33

Yes I have , travelled Guat quite a bit, Theres nothing like Tikal, its truly awsome. Ive camped there and you would not believe the wild life that comes out at night, You cant tell if its a howler monky or a big cat two feet away in the jungle. Antigua is another place not to be missed, burned the soles of my boots off on top of the volcano ( got a little to close to the lava) BB
Old 03-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
belizebill wrote:
*Antigua is another place not to be missed, burned the soles of my boots off on top of the volcano ( got a little to close to the lava) BB
*We didn't have time to go up to the volcano when we were in Antigua. *I would really like to go back and do an immersion Spanish language class there though. *The fort that is a little farther up river from where you are now was neat as well I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but I do remember laughing at the lack of any type of railings or safety hoopla and you could clamber all over the place! *No way that would fly back here.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #35

We took horses up as far as they could go and hoofed the last couple miles, It erupted 2 weeks later and killed folks. The fort is El Castile,the old locals thought it looked like a castle. Im back home in Belize now. BB
Old 03-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #36
Guru

Bill are you living in Belize? If so where. A few yrs ago when the housing market seemed to be rocketing away from my wife and I too fast for us to buy anywhere in the US that we wanted to live we had done a ton of research on moving down and had pretty much zeroed in on Placentia but were going to give as much of the country a looks-see as a couple of months would have allowed. we had bought a Jeep, clothes, passports, and were checking out what shots were recommended when I had a shoulder injury that put our plans on hold and in the interim the market crashed and we were able to take advantage and bought a place in SW Fl. But we still haven't completely written it or Panama off later in life.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #37

Yes, I live on Caye Caulker,second island south of the border to Mexico. They have paved the entire road on the Placencia peninsula and condos and resorts have gone up most of the length, making land prices go way up. Same for the North of Ambergris( San Pedro) North of us. They have just run electricity to the North of Caye Caulker, (above the split) and its going to happen there too.* My Wife bought this property on the beach in 1981,She paid the outlandish price of $5K US. I'm from Sarasota, you near there? BB
Old 03-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #38
Guru

yep Cape Coral