Old 10-31-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Richmond to Vallejo on Halloween

Here are some photos, in random order, taken on our Richmond to Vallejo run.* Winds were nearly still, and the water smooth.* Upon returning to the Vallejo Marina, a liveaboard couple took our lines, having recognized the sound of the Kahlenberg horns.* It's good to be "home."
Attached Thumbnails
bow wave.jpg   dredger.jpg   iowa.jpg   fishing.jpg   little tug.jpg  

what kinda boat.jpg   whata wake.jpg   zooming ferry.jpg  
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

Welcome home! I've never seen San Pablo Bay that calm. Usually it's five feet at three seconds...or so it seems!

ps. Too bad about the Iowa. I wanted Vallejo to win and keep her in Mare Island Strait.

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Monday 31st of October 2011 09:40:34 PM
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
Master and Commander

RE: Richmond to Vallejo on Halloween

Quote:
Giggitoni wrote:*I've never seen San Pablo Bay that calm. Usually it's five feet at three seconds...or so it seems! ps.
*Know what you mean.* When going in the opposition direction in July, the water spray came over the pilothouse roof.* The Bay, sans storm, is most calm in fall and winter, but I know you know that, Ray.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
a liveaboard couple took our lines, having recognized the sound of the Kahlenberg horns.
*Do that in the marinas up here and you will most likely be met with liveaboards toting shotguns :-)* Or maybe big underwater drills.......
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
Master and Commander

Quote:
Marin wrote:
*Do that in the marinas up here and you will most likely be met with liveaboards toting shotguns :-)* Or maybe big underwater drills.......
*I know you.* You just don't want my type (native Californian) in your neighborhood.*
Attached Thumbnails
alaskan clouds.jpg  
Old 11-01-2011, 04:30 AM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
markpierce wrote:I know you.* You just don't want my type (native Californian) in your neighborhood.**
*As a long time PNW live-aboard I can say that we don't tend to stereotype people but we really don't like rude and inconsiderate people who think because they have a horn they need to blow it.

We don't need to attract attention to ourselves by annoying others with pointless noise and really wonder about those who need to beat their own drum in any event.

If you want to sterotype yourself, that's fine I guess but don't stereotype others by saying they don't want "your type" in the neighborhood. If that is a recurring issue, maybe it is just you.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
Scraping Paint

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
*I know you.* You just don't want my type (native Californian) in your neighborhood.*

No, it's not that, although you are correct, the fewer boaters who move here the better in my opinion :-)

But as I think I related in another discussions somewhere, people up here don't use their horns except in fog or in an emergency.* Even the Washington State ferries, which blow their horns when they depart a ferry slip, stop blowing them after sunset even though some runs continue to operate until midnight or 1:00 am.

In fact even the BNSF railroad has quieter horns or horn settings that they are supposed to use at night when approaching grade crossings in cities or residential areas.* Most of the locomotive drivers seem to comply.

In the 13 years we've been in Squalicum Marina I'm only aware of one boater who blew his horn prior to entering the marina and the port got so many complaints from other boaters in the marina--- "regular" boaters as well as liveaboards--- that they suggested the fellow stop the practice if he wanted to retain his slip in the marina.* He did.

There is no need in our marina and every other marina I've been in to use the horn to announce anything.* Even though we have a breakwater that's very high at low tide, seeing other boats approaching the entrances from inside or outside is easy if one sticks to the correct side of the channels and idles slowly, which is required anyway, coming and going.* We've encountered plenty of boats at the entrances and have never been in, or seen, a close call between boats.

The dual air horns on our boat are extremely loud and we use them in the fog although the only people that probalby hear us are sailboaters.* But other than this and a couple of tests during the year to make sure they're working correctly, we have no reason to use them.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 1st of November 2011 12:20:18 PM
Old 11-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Along with gratuitous use of the horn there is the same with the radio.

As when people broadcast. "Negative contact with rubber duck"

No one cares. If you couldn't make contact or not. It just clogs up the air when not needed.

What if a MayDay was being called*while you were saying. I wasn't able to contact so and so.

It may have been drowned out and life's lost.

So call make contact and get off 16.

Or use the DSC

SD

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:
Along with gratuitous use of the horn there is the same with the radio.

As when people broadcast. "Negative contact with rubber duck"
*Yes, I've always thought that was a sort of useless thing to say.* As you state, nobody monitoring the channel cares if you didn't make contact.

The other one that is funny to hear are people--- and there are a lot of them---*who say "Over and out" when they terminate a transmission.* I can only assume this originated in Hollyweird where some advisor on a movie way back when said it was the proper wording.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

How about "Did you copy my last transmission?"

How does he know which transmission was your last transmission?

Glad to see the Ol' Coot is floating again...and so is Carquinez Coot!! Now you can continue to break in that JD. How are the repairs doing?

I guess it's nice to have help with lines when the situation calls for it, but as has been discussed on other threads, I prefer to handle the lines with onboard crew unless help is requested by us. I had to politely fend a well-intended guy off from grabbing my lines last week as I approached the dock at Delta Marina.

Same goes for leaving...PLEASE don't free my lines unless I specifically ask for your help. I can't tell you how many times folks have loosened my lines without my permission while trying to help. One guy shoved my bow away from the dock just as I was preparing to back out stern first in a tight area. Arrrgh! Another fuel dock hand had all the lines off and in the boat before I even had the engines started! I was in the ER checking things out before departure. Fortunately it was calm winds and slack tide.

Now I make it a point to communicate directly with folks on the dock about my plan when departing. I invite them to watch the show, but please don't participate in the circus without a request from the ring leader.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
Scraping Paint

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:

Now I make it a point to communicate directly with folks on the dock about my plan
The worst thing in floatplane flying is a "helpful" person on a dock.* To a much greater degree than a boat, grabbing one of the permanent lines on a floatplane and using it incorrectly can cause many thousands of dollars of damage or even--- potentially--- sink the plane.* So I've had years of being very wary of people on docks who look like they might want to "help."

Since I know what I want in a dock helper when I'm coming in, I try to be the same kind of person if it looks like an approaching boat might need a hand.* I'll walk over to their intended landing spot and stand there.* When the boat is close enough to be able to talk to the helmsman I'll ask if they want a hand and if so, what they'd like me to do.* Much of the time they don't need one--- most boaters up here with any experience at all have learned to deal with currents and bullrails and such.* So I'll just stand by.

If they do want me to take a line they'll tell me which one and what they want me to do with it.* If they don't volunteer this information I'll ask.* Soemtimes--- very rarely-- we'll encounter a relatively clueless boater so we end up suggesting what he might want to do with the boat and the lines.

Same thing with departing boats.* If it's* tight situation or there's a contrary wind or current, we'll ask the skipper if he wants a hand.* Most of the time they don't, but occasionally they'ill ask us to push the bow or stern off or make sure part of the boat doesn't hit the dock or whatever.

We've observed numerous instances of dock "helpers" making situations worse by hollering advice to do such and such with the rudder and power and use such-and-such line.* Some of them get very aggressive with this advice, even when it's fairly obvious that the boater has a pretty good idea of what they want to be doing.* Competent drivers generally simply ignore them, but if the helmsman and crew are inexperienced all this hollering of commands from the dock can make for a very confusing situation that often ends badly.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
Master and Commander

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:

Glad to see the Ol' Coot is floating again...and so is Carquinez Coot!! Now you can continue to break in that JD. How are the repairs doing?

*The repairs are done, but haven't recovered from "invoice shock" yet.* Just started polishing up*C. Coot today, but soon had to stop due to the rain.* More berths are vacant.* Told many went south for the winter.