Provisioning in the Exumas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nimble1

Vessel Name
Sweet Pea
Vessel Make
Nimble Nomad 25' Trawler
Are there any stores similar to Maxwell's (Marsh Harbor) in the Exumas? Or a better question would be, where does one restock in the Exumas?

Georgetown probably has the largest selection (fresh or frozen) and consistent quality for provisioning. You'll know what day is the best by listening to the morning VHF net.

Last edited:
Half decent store in Black Point for the basics. No Doubt, GT is the best place.

We ran from the top of the Exumas (North of Allen Cay) down to Warderick Wells and there was pretty much zero the whole way. There was a tiny store with very basics at Highborne Cay, but I'd suggest gogin into it assuming you are completely on your own until Georgetown. But, I expect there is life in Staniel Cay? I haven't been, but perhaps others can comment?

...I expect there is life in Staniel Cay? I haven't been, but perhaps others can comment?

Staniel Cay is actually pretty good to provision based on the delivery schedule. There were 2 stores that were open last May and a third that we couldn't time the opening when we were in town. Good produce to yogurt was available at both but it went fast.

Black Point Settlement, south of Staniel Cay, also had fresh produce at 2 different stores plus it's a good anchorage if the winds are blowing out of the east.

Things were more expensive than Georgetown, but hey, it's the Bahamas. :)

Depending on your route to the Exumas, you might be able to shop in Eleuthera before hitting the top of the Exuma chain.
Spanish Wells shopping is OK. Better still is Governor's Harbor. At GH we found good supplies and cheap booze. I suspect prices are a lot better than at Staniel.

Thanks for all the responses. We have not sat down to completely plan our trip yet so I am not entirely sure of how far down the chain we will go. We did the Abacos last year and looking forward to this trip.
And NO, I am not doing the trip in a 25' Nimble Nomad..LOL

Like someone said, Staniel Cay has a couple of stores with pretty good supply. But, you have to check the coconut telegraph and monitor when the Captain C is due to arrive. You want to be there about the time they are unloading the boat. Also, if you need propane you can get it there but you have to wait a day for a fill. It's gravity feed and takes a long time.

Back
Top Bottom