PNW Vacation Cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So my first time out in the area with the cable ferry was not a good one. Forest fire smoke (last summer) was thick and I didn't know diddle squat about the red and green light, and for that matter in the thick smoke, not so visible.

So as I'm getting closer I think, you know, he's going to pull away just as I am on top of him, he could blow one long horn to announce his crossing. And sure enough, he starts up. And I slow down but get a hailed on Channel 16 from the ferry officer to go to another channel which I say I will do after I have turned my boat around away from the cable. When I went to the channel after the turn, the officer never returned my call.

So I wasn't sure of protocol and when I returned home and looked up the proper procedure. It is simple, green light on you can proceed, red light on, you can't. And the red light stays on during the entire crossing. And the ferry is doing about 5 knots, not really breaking any speed records.

I think in calm weather (wind), if it got about 2/3rds across you could probably cross over safely as the cable will be drooping down. But in a wind that pushes the ferry to one side the cable will raise up.

This is one of those times your forward looking sonar earns its money.

Hornby Island Marina

Dinghy trip this morning. It looked pretty full, some rafted 3-deep.

Attachments

• 20190719_110813.jpg
    20190719_110813.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 80

Attachments

• 20190719_214153.jpg
    20190719_214153.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 69
Almost done...

Entering the Strait of Juan de Fuca at Discovery Island. Wind 4 knots. We had a nice shove down Haro Strait, will remove the burn marks later today.

Attachments

• 53EEEFFB-25D4-4E89-9779-FF4D833F99AC.jpg
    53EEEFFB-25D4-4E89-9779-FF4D833F99AC.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 57
Trip Summary

Trip Summary

Days away - 17
Animals observed - Orca, Humpbacks, baby seals, baby mergansers, Dalls Porpoises, brown bear cubs, eagles
Farthest away from home port - Port McNeill, BC
Engine hours - 90
Best dinghy mission - circumnavigation of Stuart Island
Nights plugged in to power - 5
Generator hours - 50
Most useful boat features - pilothouse, radar, Phantom screens
Least useful boat feature - “Bob” the anchor buoy
Worst weather - rain squall, 28kts wind, Tribune Bay; several very foggy morning departures
Best restaurant food - Blackfish Pub in Comox
Worst mechanical problem - dead stern light lamp, replaced with spare
Best meal aboard - S/V KISMET quiche

Thanks for tagging along - hope you enjoyed it.

Dont ya wish it could of lasted another couple months!
Great trip Jeff, glad ya got to use your pride and joy.
Cheers

Dont ya wish it could of lasted another couple months!

Yes. We intend for it to last about 11 months per year in the not too distant future. We are fortunate to have a land home with minimal contents, yet none of that is missed while traveling on an of the boats we have owned.

Yes. We intend for it to last about 11 months per year in the not too distant future. We are fortunate to have a land home with minimal contents, yet none of that is missed while traveling on an of the boats we have owned.

Well with any luck, we may find each other in the years to come. However, you are now a sea dweller and that home is now a dirt dweller....:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom