Plans for 2011 - PNW and SE Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old_Salt

Veteran Member
Plans for 2011- PNW and SE Alaska
Pacific Daylight Saving time kicks in this weekend, so it must be time for PNW boaters to start thinking about where youre gonna go on your boat this spring/summer/fall.
We are waiting to move into our new home in Sechelt, and since we are retired, our summer plans are simplified down to answering the questions, When can we start? and When do we have to be back?
If the total time between the two dates is 2 weeks, then its Blind Channel and back home.* Seymour Narrows on the way out and the Yucultas on the way back.
If we get 4 weeks time, we can make Port Hardy and back (as we did in 3 weeks during* the summer of 2009 in the company of Ria Sea to Port McNeill and back).
6 weeks gets us to New Bella Bella/Shearwater and back (as it did last summer in the company of Ria Sea).
8 weeks gets us to Hartley Bay and back; 10 weeks to Prince Rupert and back; and 12 weeks to Ketchikan and back.* Im going to set Sept.30 as the get home deadline, so if we can get away by July 1, we could make it to SE Alaska this summer, or alternately head up Portland Inlet to Observatory Inlet.
Anything more than 12 weeks allows us a real decent tour of SE Alaska (like our 2008 trip around POWI), or some extended side trips up and down the beautiful inlets on the B.C. North and Central Coasts (like our 2007 trip along the North and Central B.C. Mainland Coast).
All of the above is determined at a very leisurely pace of about 12 nmpd.* We will make certain that we start heading back at the half-way mark in time so as not to run into a time pressure on the return trip that forces us into traveling in bad weather.* We have come home from Port Hardy in 1 day on 2 different occasions and from Port McNeill in 1 day one time. We just dont want to be in the position of being forced into this kind of sprint to get home at the appointed time.* We take the Inside Passage northbound.* What invariably happens is that the outbound trip goes more quickly and allows us to bank some days for some side trips from our furthermost destination.*
The return trip is almost always by a route to the west of the Inside Passage, except for ducking back in to Hartley Bay, Klemtu, New Bella Bella/Shearwater for fuel and water, or to Dawsons or Duncanby for fuel to get us back around Cape Caution.
This summer the Admiral is committed to helping out with a big quilting get-together on the Sunshine Coast, so I may be going north solo.
Does anyone have any plans to share for the extended cruises in the PNW you are taking this summer?
OS

We launch from Seattle. Should start June 28th or so.

8 weeks this summer. Broughtons-4 weeks, Desolation-1.5 weeks, back and forth 1.5 weeks.

Should be fun.

You guys heading north out of Puget Sound have to go right by us so remember to at least wave as you go by.* We're at Sidney*for a couple more weeks and then we'll be in Cow Bay.* I bagged 5 gallons of wine today and started two more batches so we can organize cocktail hour if you have time.

Our plans are to ease into the more northerly waters.* First on the agenda for next week is to make an Anacortes run to fill the fuel tanks with some of your less expensive (none of it's cheap) fuel.* From there we'll head up to Desolation Sound for as long as that takes.* We have the advantage of living and working from the boat so our plans can stay pretty flexible.* We'll make sure we're back from that trip in time to go to Trawlerfest in Anacortes and then we'll likely go up to the Broughtons.* Beyond that who knows - that's pretty long range planning for the way we live.

I'll be thinking about you, jealous. We are sticking around Howe Sound a lot and may head for Forward Hbr. as our quit point.
Maybe we will actually spend some time around Desolation Snd.which we have skipped for the last 10-12 yrs.

Have a good trip and may the seas be with you,
Clark

bshanafelt:

Have you made this trip previously?**8 weeks should give you lots of time to poke around in the Broughton's (where ever that is
no.gif
*) and cover most of the good anchorages from the Broken Islands to Blunden Harbour.

Good water for the tank is available at Campbell River, Port McNeill, and Port Hardy on Vancouver Island, and Blind Channel, Lagoon Cove in the islands.

Hope you get some nice weather while you're there, and it will be fun.

OS

Bob:

Where do you stay when you're at Cow* (...ichan ?) Bay?* Is Pier 66 still open for fuel?

When you head north will you post your whereabouts here, or should we check the blog to keep track of you?

Have a great summer on the water.

OS

Clark:

Forward Harbour is not a bad "quit point".** A guy can really practice his "running the rapids" techniques getting to Forward Harbour and back to Gibsons.*

If you should get away for a couple of days to Secret Cove, Buccaneer Bay, or Pender Harbour, please let us know.* We are still living in Halfmoon Bay and can pick you up and bring you home for a couple of cool ones while we sit on the deck, and watch all the guys from Puget Sound and Vancouver Harbour beat their way north, and tell lies about what great Skippies we are.

Enjoy your summer on the water.

OS

This year will be our first run north of the Octopus Islands.

I agree 8 weeks is perfect for the trip. I am sure I will wish it were 12. I think 4 weeks will allow us to do a pretty good survey around the Broughtons. I expect Sullivan Bay will be the furthest north we will venture this year.

We do like to find a great spot and spend 2-3 days.

We are able to stay at anchor up to 5 days without recharging, but find that the constraint is the holding tank.

Should be fun.

Hey there Willy,

Long time no post.

How are things on the Fraser? Maybe we will see you this summer?

@Old Salt

Sorry I dunno all the details yet.* We have moorage at Cow Bay Marina starting April fools day.* Gary's a little hard to track down so he has our money and we know where our slip is but we don't know much beyond that.* I think there still is a fuel dock up there but I don't know the name.* I'll probably forget to post our travel details*here (or won't think it is worthy of anybody's attention so won't bother).*

Well since you'all are so so far away we'll just have to stay closer to home but we'll be away from home cruising SE most of the summer. Mid summer will find us most likely to be home. Two trips. 1st will be around Baranof Is w some harbor time (at least a week) in Sitka. Want to spend some time there. 2nd trip is to Juneau. Want to spend some time there too. Then west out Icy Strait to Pelican and down the outside to Sitka. In the end we'll go around Admiralty and Chichagof Islands as one. Personal plans or needs may get in the way of some of this but we need to make up for lost cruising time since we moved here.*Old Salt wrote:
"The return trip is almost always by a route to the west of the Inside Passage," seems strange OS as I've always thought that fog most often makes it hard to travel on the west side (or outside) of the IP. My dad told me this decades ago but I've not experienced this to any significant degree myself but that may be (of course) as I've avoided the west in the fall. We may have a problem w that going fron Lisianski Inlet to Sitka. Hey what's w these big letters? Hope we find each other some day.

bobofthenorth wrote:
...* I'll probably forget to post our travel details*here (or won't think it is worthy of anybody's attention so won't bother).*

I'm*interested, even if you don't think it is interesting!*
smile.gif

I'm interested too!

Old_Salt wrote:

All of the above is determined at a very leisurely pace of about 12 nmpd.

Gosh, is there an anchorage every 12 miles?* Nothing like taking your time though, but I can't imagine taking that long.* We once took a month to travel from Juneau to Seattle in winter time, and I thought that was pretty slow, but I guess not.* Perhaps it would be nice to slow down and smell the sea weed a bit.* Then again, we only travel at 6 to 7 kts so I guess we are pretty slow already................Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller:
I am pleased to have you participate in this thread.* I have a great deal of respect for your knowledge and experience in boating in the Pacific Northwest.* I didnt start boating until I retired in 1995, and moved from the Big City to Boating Country on the Sunshine Coast of B.C., and although my learning curve sometimes seems incredibly steep, to me, you are way ahead of me, and I have learned a great deal from reading your posts on this forum.* (Im the guy over in the corner, reading your post on my laptop, and vigorously nodding my head up and down at the end of every sentence.)* It is great that you possess the desire to share what you know.
I have lived on the north shore of Halfmoon Bay for the last 16 years,
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forum.spark?aBID=115492&topicID=40222635&p=3
and had the opportunity to watch the Friday-Saturday morning summertime procession of grim-faced Skippies out of Puget Sound and Vancouver Harbour battle their way northward up Welcome Passage against a 30 knot NW wind, on a rising spring tide, with the current opposing the wind By God, Martha, we owe it to ourselves to get out boating on the weekends.* We ARE going to have a GREAT time, arent we?
It is remarkable that we observe the same boats returning on Sunday-Monday afternoon running into a SE gale, on an ebb current, trying to get back to work on Monday morning.
By God, Martha, we may have to anchor out in the harbour/harbor tonight and I can take the dinghy into the office in the morning.* Through our 200 mm telescope, Martha can be seen mouthing the words, THE LAST TIME in a very animated fashion.
What I learned from these observations was, Im retired.* I dont have to leave the dock in Secret Cove today in this crap.* I dont have to be back at work on Monday, or ever.* I can go when I want to go.* I can stop where I want to stop, and for as long as I want to stop.* I would rather make the attempt to enjoy my boating to the n th degree, and have those that travel with me enjoy it, too.
My considerations for boating include no commercial or financial considerations, or time constraints, that would create the need to go more quickly than say, 12 nmpd averaged over the time allotted for an extended cruise of 2 26 weeks.
I sat down with all my charts one winter and decided that my boating season, as far as extended cruises in the PNW were concerned, could start on April 2 (nobody wants to be seen pulling away from the dock on April 1, do they?* I dont!* Look at that Old_Fool)
And run to September 30, giving me a maximum of 6 months or 26 weeks.* I decided to slow my overall progresss MINIMUM REQUIREMENT down to about 12 nmpd straight line between Major Boating Centers on the IP.* That gave me the schedule initially posted above in the opening post.* I allowed 6 weeks to get to Ketchikan and 6 weeks return.* Any time I had left over from those 6 weeks/1 1/2 months of the outbound journey could be spent at the destination end of my trip.* On the first day of the 7th week, allotted to the out and back trips, I would start for home.
We tried this out for the first time on a 148 day trip to SEA and return.* We decided it was a reasonable, workable plan.* We actually recorded 25 nmpd, and 40 nm per traveling day, and saw a lot more than was included in our basic out and back trip.
In 2008, I had 14 weeks to spend on a trip to Southeast.* I planned to go as quickly as was comfortable, and use the banked time on arrival at Ketchikan, plus the 2 weeks that were not required for the out and back trips, to see as much of Prince of Wales Island as was possible in that time frame. I was to go North and around POWI solo, and meet my wife in Prince Rupert on August 1, for the return trip together.******
I left Secret Cove on June 2, and made it, solo, to Ketchikan in 14 days on June 15 (and banked 4 weeks to increase the time allotment for POWI to 6 weeks).* I traveled about 95% of the shoreline of POWI and was back in Ketchikan on July 23, on schedule.* The forecast for July 24 was good, but the extended forecast indicated some crappy stuff coming up.* I traveled 82 nm to Fairview, in Rupert, in 7.8 hours (8:27 am to 4:13 pm) and reported to Canada Customs.* I would have been there sooner, but I stopped to watch the orcas at Lord Rock.* Next day, I moved to Port Edward, and waited out the bad weather until my wife arrived on August 1.* Took 30 days to get home, using a different route southbound, and arrived a week earlier than planned.* We traveled on 25 days and did not lose a single day of traveling to fog or bad weather, stopping over 5 days at places of our choosing, just because we wanted to stay over.
I have a boat with WOT speed of better than 30 knots.* I air it out every once in a while.* The 2008 POWI trip took 90 days and recorded 2700 nm on the GPS, on 428 engine hours, averaging 6.4 knots.* Nice trip.* Just the way I planned it.* 2700 nm at 30 nmpd average, with lots more side trips than a straight line 98 day trip.* Repeated successes breed confidence.
Planning our trips at 12 nmpd works for us on the IP.* We can accomplish this goal in only a few hours travel per day, on the average.* So many side trip possibilities exist to use up the banked days, when we reach our destination earlier than scheduled, that we dont wonder about how to spend the time we bank.* The important thing, for me, is that I never ask the boat to do something that is going to result in a bad boating experience for me or those traveling with me.* The easiest way to accomplish that, IMO, is to plan your trip at a rate that accounts for possible delays, and to give yourself the same time allotted to reach the furthest destination of the trip, for the return trip home, and to use any extra time and banked time for side trips at the destination or along the route.
OS

Arctic Traveller wrote:Gosh, is there an anchorage every 12 miles?* Nothing like taking your time though, but I can't imagine taking that long.
Neither can I ... Seth Adam's wagon train moved faster than that.

SeaHorseII:

I am retired from the work force.* Boating is what I do in the summer months.* I am blessed by living in a great pleasure boating area.* The Inside Passage connects this boating area from Olympia, WA to Halfmoon Bay, B.C., where I live, to Prince Rupert, the Canadian Port of Entry for vessels heading south into Canada from Southeast Alaska, and all the way to Skagway, AK.
I have a fast boat, capable of running at 24 knots all day long.* My aim is to travel all the waterways of B.C. and SE Alaska, and to enjoy them.* I have no desire to spend my summers roaring up and down the IP, just because I can, or because I have to do that as part of a commercial venture that I am engaged in.
I use the planning tool of timing my trips at 12 nmpd, to allow me to take a really nice 90 day trip to Ketchikan, around POWI, and back home without the stress of having to travel under conditions that would detract from the pleasure I get from exploring and learning about the waterways of my familys two home countries.*
I can travel from Port Hardy, or Port McNeill, to Secret Cove in 1 day, and I have done that on 3 different occasions, but, I know I CANNOT COUNT on doing that at any given time, and I dont want to put myself, my boat, and my traveling companions in the position of being forced to do that when Queen Charlotte Strait, Johnstone Strait, as many as 5 sets of rapids, and the Strait of Georgia are on my IP route home.* Today, for example, we have Storm Warnings and Gale Warnings all the way from Hardy to Nanaimo, and the 5 day extended forecast has that in effect until Wednesday.
My 12 nmpd overall schedule, gives me 2 weeks to get home from Port Hardy.* Whaddya know?* I have left myself 13 days to mosey down the waterways and poke around in beautiful anchorages on the way home.* Up above, bshanafelt indicated he was planning to spend 4 weeks in the vicinity of Port McNeill this summer, and allow himself 10-11 days to get back home.* My kinda guy!
In another thread, you commented favourably on a photo I posted, showing our traveling companion at anchor in Beales Bay, off Gunboat Passage, East of Shearwater. *That was part of our 14 days of side trips in that area, which we banked on our trip north.* We allowed 3 weeks to get to Shearwater, and made the trip in 8 days under favourable conditions.* The photo was taken on Day 22, and we started home the next day, allowing 3 weeks to make the trip back home.
We saw a lot of nice places on the return trip, too
My purpose is to enjoy all the waterways connected by the Inside Passage, not to roar up and down the IP.* Sorry if I failed to make this clear.*

The 12 nmpd plan is just a handy gimmick to help me to accomplish my goal.

OS*** *

-- Edited by Old_Salt on Saturday 12th of March 2011 12:21:00 PM

No disrespect intended in my post. It's obvious your boat is capable of much more speed than your schedule would indicate. (I wish my boat was faster as I would like to cover 50-70 miles per day.) Stops are much farther apart in this area.)

Taking your time is great and it's always nice to know that you can put a little more coal on the fire if the weather dictates.

My reference to a "wagon train" was a very poor effort at humor.
Sorry if I offended you.

Walt

Thank's very much for the kind words.* You do point out a problem many folks have when planning a trip.* They have a limited amount of time, and a lot of things to see, and as a result they have a tight schedule.* In my opinion, few things will get you in trouble faster than the 'I have to be at ..... by Friday" mentality.* That causes folks to venture out in weather that might not be suitable, and that can bring on troubles rapidly.* We have a rule on our boat, and that's if anyone is uncomfortable with the weather, we can turn around (normally a far better ride too).* We have done so quite a few times.* On the other hand, while running a boat for an owner who had to be some where, we once ventured out into Queen Charlotte Sound with storm force winds predicted.* The owner said he just wanted to go out an look, but despite my expressing reservations repeatedly, we went, and by the end his wife told him " If you EVER do that to me again, I'll fly directly home, and leave you on the boat"* Had we just waited a day, he could have avoided the whole problem.*

As an aside, a funny story about that trip.* It was REALLY rough, rough enough that I had to excuse my self from the pilot house to hang my head over the rail, and release lunch.* Trouble was, as I busted out the door and put my head over the side, there below me on the next deck were two women doing the same thing.* Had I let it go, no telling how long my job may have lasted.* I had to suck it up, and go back to driving. I never told anyone on the boat about how close they came to getting bombed from above.......................Arctic Traveller

Old Salt is my kind of sailor!

Anyway, will be spending 6 weeks Desolation/Broughtons starting in mid-August.

Hope to see a few of you out there.

Walt:

No offense taken, in fact, your "wagon train" comment earned a big grin at this end.

I understand that a trip North or South from San Diego, requires a different approach than I have adopted for my summertime extended cruises on a more protected Inside Passage route.* One of the great things about boating is that you get to choose your own way of going.* One of the great things about retirement and boating is that the time barrier is a lesser factor.

Are you planning a run up or down the West Coast this summer?

OS*

Jay N:
"Old Salt is my kind of sailor!"
Aw, Shucks!*
aww.gif

I* think that the tail end of my trip may coincide with your trip.* We might be able to meet up, spill some beer, and swap lies about what great skippies we are.
"Stalwyn" on 16.
OS

Eric:

Those 2 trips sound pretty special.* When you are going around Baranof, I hope you take some pics to post here.* I have not seen the west side of Baranof and would appreciate reading all you have to tell about this trip.* I hope you get a chance to "soak" at Warm Springs and stay overnight at Red Bluff Bay (what a magnificent anchorage that is) while on the east side.* Any chance you would get to stop somewhere in Tebenkof Bay for a night or two?* Are you gonna' run Keku?*
ashamed.gif

On your second trip, if you need to "duck in" after leaving Lisianski Strait, I can recommend Kimshan Cove and Double Bay as 2 pretty secure overnighters.

If you see Alan in "Weekender" while you are in Sitka, please say "Hello".

Our last trip home west of the IP was 30 days from Foggust 1-30, 2008,*and we did not lose a single day of travel due to fog.* Go figure!

Have a great time.

OS

Old_Salt wrote:
I understand that a trip North or South from San Diego, requires a different approach than I have adopted for my summertime extended cruises on a more protected Inside Passage route. ...... Are you planning a run up or*down the West Coast this summer?
Your comment,* "requires a different approach", is very perceptive and applies to
different geographical regions throughout the world. We all love our boats and can't
quite understand why others can't see it the way we do. After all, water is*water!
Why won't my boat do equally as well as boats from a different region? When one
truly understands the actual mission of the boat, that's when the design elements
pay the biggest dividends. (ie: Range, speed, comfort, economy, etc.)

Conclusion: One design does not fill all requirements. (Missions)

As to your question about me planning to run up or down the coast this summer?
The answer is "no". I have the wrong boat for those trips! (I am, however, lusting
after a 42' boat that fits those trip requirements to a tee!)
biggrin.gif

SeaHorse II wrote:(I am, however, lusting
after a 42' boat that fits those trip requirements to a tee!)
biggrin.gif
Uh oh. Which one Walt?

dwhatty wrote:Uh oh. Which one Walt?
Years ago, my wife and I had a 42' Ocean Alex Sport Sedan which we cruised
throughout Southern Cal and Northern Baja. Back then we were still pretty new to
this cruising thing and didn't realize what we had. To this day, 7 boats later, the
Ocean Alex 42 Sedan is still our favorite boat for cruising Southern Cal. Double
wide, sliding doors to the cockpit, twin diesel, cruise in the high teens, great
salon, no exterior teak, 42' HDTV, water-maker, bow mounted RIB, 2nd stateroom
with side x side beds, generator, etc., etc., etc.,. I know, I know, it's not a trawler!
But when you consider that a route to anywhere in Southern Cal involves running on
the outside, the weather window and the boat's ability to complete the leg of the
cruise within that window becomes very desirable. 15-20 knots, add in grandkids,
friends, etc, and you are providing them with a very comfortable side X side
stateroom.

Wake up! wake up Walt! Your describing a Don Moon type trawler!
jawdrop.gif

SeaHorse II wrote:

Wake up! wake up Walt! Your describing a Don Moon type trawler!
jawdrop.gif

A Don Moon Trawler? *The proper term I believe is actually called an "Expeditious Trawler." *This is NOT to be confused with a Expedition Trawler which is an entirely different type of trawler. *
smile.gif

Boy, If everybody keeps wanting to go faster, pretty soon we can start a new thread about Water Skiing!

JohnP--- I think I spelled skiing wrong!

Moonstruck wrote:LMAO
smile.gif
Don:
Of course you know I love your boat and your kind of "cruising." I used to do it your way and still miss it. Trawlering is "OK" but out here in Southern Cal, getting where you want to go in 3-4 hours is great! a boat with all the amenities and a cruise of 15-20 knots is where it's really at for me. (Fuel costs be damned.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom