Old 07-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
Guru

Pics of our cruise

A couple of requests to see pictures of our cruise. I have to wait until I can get free WiFi generally at a marina to up load pics. My MiFi allowance would be used up in the first couple of days if I uploaded as we go along.

We started our cruise from our home port in Bradenton, Fl just south of Tampa on Memorial Day. Our first maintenance issues occurred this morning when taking a shower I noticed the shower was not draining. 2 hours later it was fixed having to replace the ground wire to the pump.

Initially we followed the ICW south to Ft. Myers then the coast to Marco Island, out in the FL straights to the middle Keys then to Key West.

Our first stop a short 18 miles away was at our favorite local anchorage on the north end of longboat key. One night there then on to Otter Key near Sarasota to visit St. Armands Circle. Cape Haze was next which is a circular cutout in the ICW surrounded by homes. A short dinghy ride got us resupplied with groceries and outboard engine oil and fuel. From there to our all time favorite anchorage on the west coast of FL-Pelican Bay. A couple of T storms came through in the late afternoon. We let the dog play on the beach while the Admiral hunted for shells. I drank beer. At 0100 I was awoken by the constant running fresh water pump. Of course what other time of day would this happen. Turning off the CB until morning I found a leak in a hose that was plugged leading to our removed ice maker. Easy fix.
Then on to Tween Waters on Captiva Island for a 2 night stay stopping at the celebrated Cabbage Key for lunch. After refueling at the most expensive fuel stop so far we cruised to the Ft. Myers Beach mooring field with rain most of the way. Checked in and enjoyed an evening of gentile rain and reading books. We spent two nights on Ft Myers beach eating ice cream and shopping. Took a trolley to a hardware store for some needed supplies.

Our next leg was in the open gulf a 36 mile leg to Smokehouse bay on Marco Island. Our auto pilot failed on this leg but we were able to get a replacement from a very helpful electronics store owner in the Marco area. It took me about 2 hours to install and we were on our way to Indian Key in the thousand island area of the FL straights. This is a very isolated area with limited cell phone coverage and many bugs. One night was enough.

The next leg our longest, got us to Fat Deer Key off of Marathon. For those not familiar with the Keys you may be surprised to hear there are very few beaches in the Keys and thus we had a very difficult time finding a spot to let our dog do her business. Finding a place to allow the dog access is the first order of business when researching anchorages.

50 miles away is Key West and we got there early enough to clean the boat up and do some laundry before doing the typical Key West stuff, drink beer, shopping, drink beer, watch the crazies, drink beer – you get the idea. 3 days and 4 nights of this and I’d had enough, time to move on.
Attached Thumbnails
Rosie at Moores 5-26-2014 4-10-30 PM.JPG   Passing Sarasota 5-27-2014 11-57-46 AM.JPG   Tstorm at Pelican Bay 5-30-2014 6-47-13 PM.JPG   Pelican Bay Sunrise 5-30-2014 6-04-34 AM.JPG   Ft. Myers Bch  6-3-2014 7-22-12 PM.JPG  

Elplanada Marina  6-6-2014 6-14-01 PM 6-6-2014 6-14-01 PM.JPG   Sunset at Indian Key 6-8-2014 6-14-59 AM.JPG   Rusty on Deck at Fat Deer Key 6-8-2014 7-21-41 PM.JPG   Tim & Debbie Hard Rock, KeyWest 6-11-2014 12-49-42 PM.JPG   KeyWest Lighthouse 6-11-2014 1-44-13 PM.JPG  

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Tim, Thanks for the highlights of the trip. We plan to make a similar trip this fall or next spring, starting from the panhandle. Is the stop at Indian Key one we should consider to not be on our high list because of the bugs? Where did you stay in Key West?
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
Guru

Heading North

Heading north we stopped 3 nights at Boot Key Harbor in Marathon for some minor repairs then Cowpens Anchorage for 2 nights to enjoy a very nice dinner at Marker 88 restaurant.
Continuing north on the inside route in the Keys we stopped one night in Barnes anchorage where Alabama Jacks was reputed to be a great red neck stop over for beer and dinner. They were closed for maintenance, pressure washing the floor-perhaps living up to their reputation.

From there 2 nights at Elliot Key, one of the nicest anchorages. Thankfully not a bug problem which has been an issue at several other anchorages. Water is very clear and I got a good look at the boat bottom and did some cleaning. Added bonus was a distant view of the Miami Skyline. The next weekend, July 4th, 4 people were killed in a boating accident near Dinner Key just across the ICW.

Our next stop was Crandon Park marina, a very nice city run facility, but their pump out didn't work and we needed one not having pumped out since Key West. The pizza delivered was a nice change from our normal menu. We refueled in Crandon Park and found that our fuel mileage is about 1.75 miles per gallon if we run below planning speed, which we're done for 95% of our cruise. We get 1 mpg at planning speed.

Continuing north on the ICW we spent 2 nights at the Marine Stadium anchorage with a view of the Miami Skyline that you couldn't pay and get a better view. We got our dinghy outboard repaired there. From there we headed the short distance to Sunset anchorage in Miami Beach and found a Marina on the way that would empty our holding tanks for $5, a really good deal in Miami.

Sunset anchorage is just a wide area formed in the extensive canal systems built for the very rich between Miami and Miami Beach. We anchored in the center of this small anchorage a stone’s throw from the mansions surrounding the anchorage. It felt as if we were intruding on these folks space but the location was the best to visit Miami Beach. A homeowner on the north side of this anchorage has anchored 25 dinghies in front of his house to discourage transients from anchoring. For some reason this area has a bunch of sea grass floating in and out with the tide and I had to clean out our genny and ac strainer a couple of times. To thank the folks for allowing us to anchor we spent some time in our dinghy cleaning up the significant amount of trash that was washed in with the tide and got stuck in the sea grass. I doubt anyone noticed.

Next stop was Hollywood beach just north of Miami. One night there and we walked to the boardwalk and got some not very good Mexican food.

On to Ft Lauderdale where we stopped for 10 nights at the City Marina on the New River, right downtown. The New River is populated by some of the most well known names in corporate American but it was so cheap to stay at the City Marina that I calculated it would cost us about as much in fuel to run our genny if we anchored out. We got our computer fixed, it was full of virus's and I got a new grill from WM. Our bikes came in handy. We didn't want to be on the water the July 4th weekend and is why we stayed so long. This location is a very busy area with several bridges and much commercial traffic. It was interesting seeing these big 120 ft yachts navigating this narrow river with large boats tied up on both sides of the river. Some of these big yachts were being towed by two small boats one in front and one in back. I thought they were broke and were being taken up river to repair facilities. I finally figured out that these big yachts were too big to navigate the twists and turns of the river and they hired a commercial service to tow them in.

Leaving last Monday for West Palm Beach was a good decision because there is very little traffic on the ICW vs the weekend. 18 bridges later 8 of which we needed an opening got us to the city docks in downtown West Palm Beach, a beautiful city with a lively town center. It took us 3 tries to tie up to the dock because of the current. We biked to the beach and enjoyed being there for 2 nights.
We’re currently in Vero Beach for 2 nights leaving tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
P1050812.JPG   P1050845.JPG   P1050870.JPG   P1050924.JPG   P1060013.JPG  

P1060045.JPG   P1060049.JPG  
Attached Files
Old 07-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
Tim, Thanks for the highlights of the trip. We plan to make a similar trip this fall or next spring, starting from the panhandle. Is the stop at Indian Key one we should consider to not be on our high list because of the bugs? Where did you stay in Key West?
We stayed near Indian Key 3 years ago mid May and the bugs were not so bad. We found an anchorage about a mile inside on the way to Everglades City. Except for the beach on Indian Key no real reason to stop there. We did because it breaks up the long leg from Marco to Marathon. Normally most folks choose Shark River but there is no shore access for the dog.

We stayed at A&B marina in Key West and would recommend them. $3 per ft with free laundry. Great location to everything, but no pool. I think the Galleon has a pool but we just like the floating docks and staff at A&B.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Great! Thanks for sharing! Been a while since I have been down in that area, but you brought back a lot of good memories with your superb writing.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Capt. Tim, I was beginning to think that it really didn't happen. Great cruise and pictures. Can't wait for the rest.

Ballard Oil at Ft. Myers Beach usually has the cheapest fuel on the west coast. You also missed Keys Fishery Marina just South of Fat Deer Key in Marathon. It is on the Bay side.. It is a commercial dock with usually the best fuel prices in the Keys. A & B in Key West is probably next cheapest. You will know next time.

Keep 'em coming. Sorry to miss you at Ft. Pierce. I probably will back to the boat next week.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Thanks Tim. Brings back memories of good times. Good on ya!

Also reminds me why we gave the dog to one of the kids before we went cruising.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
But what about the Cat?
I counted 5 references to the dog; but not one for the cat.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
But what about the Cat?
Well, the cat being a cat doesn't care.

Actually we were a little worried about him, he's become very lethargic. But that hasn't curbed his appetite, he's become a little portly.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
But what about the Cat?
Cats don`t need ferrying ashore?
Nice pics, much appreciated.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Great outline of the voyage, Tim. We plan on doing the same loop later this year. If you get back down to the anchorage at the North end of Longboat Key, give us a heads-up. We'd love to buy you a meal at Moore's Crab House right there at the adjacent dock area.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #12
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
$3 PER FOOT! Per night? Holy bat Crapman!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Great outline of the voyage, Tim. We plan on doing the same loop later this year. If you get back down to the anchorage at the North end of Longboat Key, give us a heads-up. We'd love to buy you a meal at Moore's Crab House right there at the adjacent dock area.
Thanks Larry we'll take you up on that. And we'll buy you a meal at Mar Vista next door.
This pic taken from our boat on Memorial Day right off the dock you referenced pointed at the sand bar off Jewfish Key. Ana Maria in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
Moores 2 5-26-2014 2-17-11 PM.JPG  
Old 07-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Yes, a bit pricey, but if you stayed at the Hyatt next door and paid according to your height it would be about $100/ft.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #15
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post

I was thinking the same, $1.00 per foot at most of the marinas I've stayed at on the river, a couple were $1.25.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #16
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I was thinking the same, $1.00 per foot at most of the marinas I've stayed at on the river, a couple were $1.25.
Here is a marina on Captiva Island that is in that price class. Everyting is first class. A great place to stay for a few days. Click on their photos link. Paradise ain't cheap.

Sanibel Marina | South Seas Island Resort | Captiva Island, FL

Here is one next door to A & B in Key West. You pay for location and resort amenities. This one is $3.50/ft.

Key West Marina; Key West resort & Marina; Key West Boat Dock, Galleon Resort & Marina Key West, Wet Slips, Boat & Yacht marina slips Key West, Florida

These are places to stay when you want to kick back, relax and enjoy. A few days is enough to recharge.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #17
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Yes, guys welcome to South Florida. Staying at a Key West marina is very expensive but as you see you get alot. There are many that are higher than that. We just spent the night at a marina in the Florida Panhandle that was $3.25 a foot. That is very high for our area but you had a choice of 6 swimming pools, a fitness center, dozens of restaurants, and a shuttle that takes you to the beach. A first class resort. Definately cant stop there often but if you want a resort stay it is an option to as Don stated, "kick back and enjoy". That does not mean that I did not wish they were alot less
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Great pics, Tim. Thanks for the e-ridealong!

$1.00 to $1.25 per foot is typical of the marinas in these parts. Sometimes there's a few dollars surcharge for electrical service.

Dogs are smart. Can't you teach him to do his business on a fake grass mat on the swimstep? Turn it into a real poop deck!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #19
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
"$1.00 to $1.25 per foot is typical of the marinas in these parts."

This just in: there is juuust a lit-tle bit of difference between the towns Rio Vista, Walnut Grove, and Vallejo vs. Key West... The one time I went to KW on my boat (why did I do that? Oh yeah we were going to the Dry Tortugas) we anchored off Fleming Key.

And $3.25? try 4, 5, 6, as you work your way through LIS and the northeast. That anchor of yours and that mooring ball over there are your friends... well not so much the latter in places where even the mooring is $1.50 a foot! (free pump out and launch service included.. such a deal!)

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
"$1.00 to $1.25 per foot is typical of the marinas in these parts."

This just in: there is juuust a lit-tle bit of difference between the towns Rio Vista, Walnut Grove, and Vallejo vs. Key West... The one time I went to KW on my boat (why did I do that? Oh yeah we were going to the Dry Tortugas) we anchored off Fleming Key.

And $3.25? try 4, 5, 6, as you work your way through LIS and the northeast. That anchor of yours and that mooring ball over there are your friends... well not so much the latter in places where even the mooring is $1.50 a foot! (free pump out and launch service included.. such a deal!)
LOL!! That's the truth, but I just paid $1.25 per foot plus a $3 power surcharge at Sausalito, Marin County, CA. That's upscale and on par with most anything Florida has.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote