Old 11-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Cocoa
Vessel Name: White Rose
Vessel Model: 1988 Jefferson 42 Sundeck
Pickwick Lake to Cocoa, Knot a Yot coming home

Colleagues,
The post-survey maintenance items are complete, the deal is closed and we now are the new owners of Knot a Yot (1988 Jefferson 42). We've spent the past few days reviewing systems and making preps to get underway heading to Cocoa FL. We have a window tomorrow if we can get underway prior to 1100 to move down river and overnight near the Whitten Lock; prepping tonight for some very cold weather so we will see how it goes. Plan B is sunrise underway Monday. Based on availability of ATT signal we will be sure to post progress reports and photos, and once we get near Mobile AIS will be available for anyone wanting to follow along.

The Cobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Brrrrrr.....I froze making that trip a month ago. Good luck. Be safe and stay warm.

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Congratulations guys.

Keep us posted as able.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Got underway this morning, great weather but cool. Everything working perfectly. I tried to upload 4 photos but we've got a very weak ATT signal, but according to Active Captain reviews there is normally no Verizon here at the Bay Springs anchorage so we consider ourselves lucky to have anything. Will try to add one photo and if that works will load some individually.

We are on the hook at Bay Springs, just north of the Jamie Whitten Lock which we will tackle tomorrow. Right now it is dinner and wine celebration time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1846785857.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	25001  
Old 11-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Spot the coyote?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-513544882.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	25002  
Old 11-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Congratulations on the new boat, and sounds like a fun trip! Enjoy, and we hope to continue to get progress reports. I did not spot the coyote, by the way, but then they are very elusive so I hear.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
Guru

Nice! Keep the updates coming.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
We just did that trip earlier this month and Verizon actually had better service than ATT over the whole 500 miles. Our friends had ATT and we had a Verizon Jetpack using a Wilson amplifying system and had 4 bars of LTE more than we thought. There was only a few anchorages where there was no service.

Hope your heater is working as the temps have dropped dramatically over the past few weeks and is going to get cool this week.

Just watch your depths as the TenTom is really low right now our boating buddies who commute between Pickwick and Orange Beach each spring and fall have never seen it so low.

Good luck
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=gwkiwi;194243]Hope your heater is working as the temps have dropped dramatically over the past few weeks and is going to get cool this week.

Just watch your depths as the TenTom is really low right now our boating buddies who commute between Pickwick and Orange Beach each spring and fall have never seen it so low.
QUOTE]

Yes, the reverse cycle AC units have been getting a workout. Looks like we may be back in some warmer weather by the end of the week. Water level has been an issue for the barges...so far so good for us. We're currently "hanging out" waiting for the Jamie Whitten lock.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Day 2 is a wrap. We were delayed about an hour at our first lock (Whitten), but actually made 6 locks and are currently anchored at Canal Section Cutoff (MM 366.3). Rain, cold, and low water were the order of the day.

Everything seems good so far, although getting to know (i.e. gaining confidence in) a new boat takes a while. I did have one boat that left a lock behind me mention that both engines were smoking a bit. I checked and although I'm new to Cummins and don't have a feel for how much is too much smoke, the color is light blue/grey and is no different now that when we surveyed and sea trialed a few weeks back. I will probably have the injectors/injector pump serviced once we reach civilization. I shot some video that I can post and add a link once I get to better reception.

Short, rainy days mean that this will be a long trip, so thanks for following along!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 5.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	25038   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 6.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	25039   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 7.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	25040  
Old 11-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
Guru

The rain is just starting here in Orange Beach and gale force winds are forecasted in the gulf tonight with 9' seas every 7 seconds..

The water level may rise with 3" of rain forecasted locally tonight and tomorrow and more through the area north.

The engine smoking sometimes is caused by the diesel's idling for long periods of time through the locking process, we now just turn the engines off once attached to a bollard once we have confirmed it is not frozen and then restart as the gates start to open.

At least the anchorages wont be too crowded this time of year.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #12

City: Iuka
Hope you both are having a great time. I saw your boat at aqua yacht this weekend. I believe my wife spoke with you as y'all were getting ready to pull out Sunday morning. It was pretty cold Sunday. We were winterizing for the season. Bummer!

Have a great trip and God bless you both.
Nomad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad69 View Post
Hope you both are having a great time. I saw your boat at aqua yacht this weekend. I believe my wife spoke with you as y'all were getting ready to pull out Sunday morning. It was pretty cold Sunday. We were winterizing for the season. Bummer! Have a great trip and God bless you both.
Nomad, yes indeed, Cathy spoke with your wife before we left. If I recall correctly she said you too were planning a loop trip in the future. Let us know when, and thanks for the note. We will cross our wake on the Loop trip at Aqua either late in 2014 or in 2015, so hopefully we can meet up.

I also have to say that we are indeed blessed, and have so much to be thankful for not only at Thanksgiving, but every day of the year. It is SO easy to get wrapped up in all of the daily BS, especially with the BS coming out of Washington these days, but it took a Bald Eagle that made several passes over our bow as we approached Aberdeen Lock this morning to remind us that there are not a lot of countries in the world where common working-class folks have the freedom to own and operate a boat freely on the waterways like we enjoy. We are all blessed, sometimes more than we know.

Great day on the water today, lousy weather not withstanding. Gusty cross winds make positioning in the lock challenging (or entertaining, depending on whether you were watching from on board or ashore!). Eagles flying, deer swimming across the river, a nice lazy 7 knots towards Columbus. Although we are only on day three with the boat, we're loving the life!
Old 11-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
Guru

The dock manager "T" at Columbus is super nice give that entry red at the fuel dock a wide berth if your draft is over 4'6".

Enterprise will also come pick you up if you need a rental car there or T might have a loaner.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
The dock manager "T" at Columbus is super nice give that entry red at the fuel dock a wide berth if your draft is over 4'6". Enterprise will also come pick you up if you need a rental car there or T might have a loaner.
Thanks GW. Although the plan was to stop at Columbus, the rain has stopped so we are continuing on to Pickens anchorage for the night. Hoping to see some sun tomorrow.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

We are swinging away on the hook at Pickensville AL. Rain with snow forecasted to start about midnight...does it get any better than this?! Picked a ton of water hyacinth debris out of the sea strainers this evening...not enough to cause any noticeable engine temps. I was surprised to find so much of it this time of year, especially in and around the locks. Plan to get a first-light start tomorrow and see how close to Demopolis we can get.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Change o' Plans

With the cold and 25 Kt gusts this morning we've decided to stay here and will probably head out tomorrow. A great day for some upkeep maintenance. If things calm a bit this afternoon we consider striking out for Upper Cooks Bend anchorage, but we are enjoying a down day.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Much better day today! We plan to anchor just before Demopolis and hit the marina tomorrow. We are not too excited to have to provision on Black Friday! Happy Thanksgiving all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2446205331.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	25106  
Old 11-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #19

City: Iuka
Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving. How's the trip progressing?
Nomad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #20
Guru

Thanks for keeping us updated!