Old 12-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Cocoa
Vessel Name: White Rose
Vessel Model: 1988 Jefferson 42 Sundeck
Busy few days. Stop in Demopolis for provisions, last night anchored at Choctow Wildlife Preserve. Just dropped the hook at the Tensaw River. Great day, great trip. The photo says it all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4280331066.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	25191  

The Cobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #22
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
You are making good time and the weather will be kind over the next few days if only for a shower or two.

We are hanging out at the The Wharf in Orange Beach and will probably stay in the area until after the New Year while we tackle a galley remodel.

Honk as you go past the Wharf and glad your trip is going well.

gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
Honk as you go past the Wharf and glad your trip is going well.
Absolutely, we'll see you on the one whistle!
We were surprised to see we were getting 2.4 MPG at 8 MPH on legs where we ran the generator 60 hours. We have averaged 10 MPH for the past two days and will soon know what that has done for the mileage. We covered 94 miles yesterday and 89 today, due partly to zero delays at Demopolis and Coffeeville locks. We are glad to be ahead but don't want to get caught up in a schedule.

Good luck with the remodeling, and be sure to post photos.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #24
Veteran Member

94 miles today. Flat seas in the bay, beautiful views of Mobile. Dolphins playing, Coast Guard practicing, God I hate this <grin>

Currently anchored in Middle Wolf Bay, Pensacola tomorrow to see my daughter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-793919903.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	25227   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2392886810.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	25228   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1981322486.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	25229   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-160294171.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	25230   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1883935533.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	25231  

Name:	image-941031309.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	25232  
Old 12-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #25
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Have enjoyed your posts & pictures of your cruise sounds like a fun trip, thanks for sharing. I noticed in the pics shot over your bow that your fenders look a lot like mine -used. I can walk around the docks & tell who uses their boats by the look of the fenders, if they're clean & spotless that boat may go out for a cruise in its home pool but seldom ventures thru any locks. The clean boat with dirty fenders usually indicates someone owns the boat & uses it thru the locks & when you do that they never look new again. I do try to scrub mine a couple times a year but they're old enough it doesn't help much.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I noticed in the pics shot over your bow that your fenders look a lot like mine -used.
Yes indeed, the fenders are all well used, almost to the point of being used up. One will hardly hold air any more, so we'll be replacing a couple when we return. Funny you mentioned it...last evening we were at Palafox Pier in Pensacola looking at all of the shiny clean boats, some of them in the 40-50 foot size, with very clean, but very SMALL fenders. I guess that's a topic all of its own.

We motored out of PCola this morning in light fog which cleared up quickly, ran about 70 miles and are currently anchored at the Scattered Woods anchorage just east of Santa Rosa Beach near the Clyde Wells Bridge. We are hoping to be in Carrabelle in a couple of days, and are keeping an eye on the weather for the Gulf crossing. I've not checked yet this evening but as of last night the forecast was promising for a Saturday or Sunday crossing. The plan is to run from Carrabelle to Clearwater when the weather/seas are favorable. We appreciate all who are following and providing local advice.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobber View Post
Funny you mentioned it...last evening we were at Palafox Pier in Pensacola looking at all of the shiny clean boats, some of them in the 40-50 foot size, with very clean, but very SMALL fenders. I guess that's a topic all of its own.
The ones which really get me are the 40-50 foot size boats with little bitty anchors. Sometimes just one little bitty anchor. Kind of boggles the mind of this old sailboat guy. :-)
Old 12-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Indeed...we even noted a few chrome anchors...maybe they know something that I don't...perhaps chrome prevents the mud from sticking!?
Old 12-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Arrived in Carrabelle yesterday about noon after over-nighting at the town dock in White City where we celebrated Cathy's birthday with another traveling crew. It still looks like the cold front is stalling and will become a stationary front, with very little pressure gradient across the eastern Gulf. Winds forecasted at 5-10, seas 2-3 feet. We plan on heading out about noon today (Saturday) with an arrival at Clearwater around 10 am Sunday. We will see how the forecast holds up against reality.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-162665532.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	25373   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-184805856.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	25374   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3303162721.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	25375   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2086600731.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	25376  
Old 12-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #30

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
Why did you not go out Government Cut into the Gulf just south of Apalachicola, rather than take the longer route up to Carrabelle?
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
Why did you not go out Government Cut into the Gulf just south of Apalachicola, rather than take the longer route up to Carrabelle?
Probably wanted a little night life in Carrabelle before plunging off into the Gulf crossing. Night life in Carrabelle is not much, to be sure, but compared to White City it is Vegas! :-)
Old 12-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Night life in Carrabelle is not much, to be sure, but compared to White City it is Vegas! :-)
Indeed, we looked at all options for crossing, but decided that we wanted a good night's rest and a place with good data reception to keep an eye on the weather up to the time we head out. We had dinner at "The Fisherman's Wife" last night and we think that alone was worth the extra time to come this route.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #33

Hope you have a sedate crossing. I am planning on making that crossing later this month after Christmas. Did you pick up any local information about depths in Government Cut? Most of the stuff I'm finding out so far is second hand, or out of date.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #34

Did you get any local information about depths in Government Cut? I'm thinking of taking that route on the way to Clearwater later this month after Christmas. Hope you have a smooth crossing.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hope you have a sedate crossing. I am planning on making that crossing later this month after Christmas. Did you pick up any local information about depths in Government Cut? Most of the stuff I'm finding out so far is second hand, or out of date.
Not sure of the depth in Government Cut. I have taken my sailboat (back when I had it) through there several times, and appeared to always have plenty of water under the keel. The big problem with using Government Cut is that there are always a lot of small boats fishing in there, and it is not very wide. Personally, I would recommend just following the ICW from Apalachicola over to Dog Island and taking that exit to the Gulf. Not going to be any real difference in the distance (a mile at most).
Old 12-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #36

Your 1 mile difference might be right for Tarpon Springs, but my planned destination from Apalachicola is Clearwater. I make the difference in distance more like 10 NM (as measured from the turning point on the ICW at Red #2 where one would either go south to Government Cut 3.5 NM, thence SE to Clearwater 149 NM, or turn ENE to East Pass near Dog Island 17.2 NM, thence SE to Clearwater 145.3 NM). That's well over an hour's extra steaming in my boat. But I sure don't want to chance it if Government Cut is shoaling too badly.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Your 1 mile difference might be right for Tarpon Springs, but my planned destination from Apalachicola is Clearwater. I make the difference in distance more like 10 NM (as measured from the turning point on the ICW at Red #2 where one would either go south to Government Cut 3.5 NM, thence SE to Clearwater 149 NM, or turn ENE to East Pass near Dog Island 17.2 NM, thence SE to Clearwater 145.3 NM). That's well over an hour's extra steaming in my boat. But I sure don't want to chance it if Government Cut is shoaling too badly.
Um, you may be right. I wasn't thinking about the fact that you go back in a NE direction from Apalachicola to the East Pass, rather than a straight East direction.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #38

That's what baffles me about so many folks driving up to Carrabelle. I've been thinking they know something about Government Cut I don't. Last time I was through there was late November, 2011. Been through half a dozen times before that this time of year and found it very passable in settled weather. Anyway, our intrepid travelers should be well on their way and from what I can see of it, the weather looks pretty benign for their crossing to Clearwater: south winds 5-10 kts, seas around 2'. Crab pots will likely be their only concern as they close the coast in the morning. Looking forward to their next post.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #39
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Just to provide an alternative view...

We're in Panama City now until after Christmas. I looked over the Government Cut/Carrabelle/Tarpon Spring issues and decided that none of it was worth it. I like deep, well-defined inlets and offshore access so I'm going to go to Port St Joe when the weather looks good after Christmas and then cross from there to Clearwater.

I talked to a few people who live in Pensacola and none of them like Government Cut. One guy touched a few times there last year and swore to never go through there again. We draw 6' so I'm not going to mess around with inlets like that.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #40
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Much more fun cruising with a cutesy deckhand! Congratulations on your boat purchase, your maiden voyage, and going to Florida where I hear it's actually warm in the winter. Best wishes and warm thoughts from me and my lovely deckhand (The Admiral) who are trying to stay warm on our boat in Pender Harbour, BC.

Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote