Paper Charts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Does anyone carry paper charts when you go to the Bahamas?

Are they US or Admiralty charts? KJ

No, but use paper charts where I cruise.

Since my store is located in Miami, most of my customers travel to the Bahamas frequently. I think they all carry paper charts but how much they use them I don't know. The US government has gotten out of the business of printing charts of non US waters. A company called Ocean Grafix is printing most of them now using US government supplied data. These are really nice charts printed on better paper than the government used. If you want to carry paper charts, a Bahamas Chart Kit is a good way to do it.

Yes, paper charts ...

img_133336_0_87a122b16f027fd1870a9055c75f7036.jpg

The Explorer charts are the thing to have in the Bahamas, with many valuable annotations about anchorages, harbors and channels. You can order them through Bluewater (or get at thier store and most othe S. Florida boating stores) or Landfall among others.

The Explorer charts are the thing to have in the Bahamas, with many valuable annotations about anchorages, harbors and channels. You can order them through Bluewater (or get at thier store and most othe S. Florida boating stores) or Landfall among others.

+1. We used Explorer charts when we went through the Bahamas in 2005. We had a draft of 7' and just kissed the bottom a few times but we were able cross all the banks easily. Glad to hear they're still the standard for we'll be doing it again this year.

Another in favor of the Explorer Charts in the Bahamas.:thumb:They are also the basis for some electronic charting including C-Map. There are many preplotted courses and waypoints. Don't leave home without them.

Welcome to Explorer Chartbooks

Don't let the depths marked scare you too much. They are usually in fathoms.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom