Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
RE: Papeete to Moorea

Some crazy boaters out there.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

Great job on the video Rick. Pretty cool.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -

Neat timelapse. We do a lot of that here. Was this taken with a camera that's permanently mounted on the boat or one you put up specifically for the purpose? And what kind of camera is it? A GoPro or something bigger? Or was it done with a still camera on an external or internal intervalometer? Nice water. I never saw it that smooth in Hawaii.......
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

I used a GoPro2 mounted with a suction cup mount on the radar platform. The interval was 5 seconds but I played with the frame rate during conversion to make it look smoother. It is a very low budget effort!
Attached Thumbnails
dsc02541.jpg  
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: -

While we use full-size broadcast HD cameras we took a GoPro with us on our shoot in London and Oslo a few months ago. We didn't do time-lapse with it but we put it in intersting places, like right on the centerline of a stall a few feet back from where the nosewheel stops when a plane comes into the gate. Pretty neat shot. We've also mounted it on a piece of luggage going through the whole baggage system at an airport, on the roof of a tug for a 777 pushback at Heathrow--- my cameraman walked along with the tug to shoot the pushback and unhooking operations but the GoPro gave us great super-wide shot. Handy little camera that, and if there's enough light the image is pretty good.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Scraping Paint

That little camera is amazing. It is fascinating to look at some of the stuff posted on YouTube and on the GoPro website. People have done some amazing things with them and the results are even more amazing for such a simple camera.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

And here I sit at my stinkin' desk ......
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

Papeete to Moorea

All that messing about before we actually got moving was related to the use of both anchors and lines attached to submerged mooring blocks that have to be disconnected by divers. There are two boats, one small one that the divers worked off and the other one that is run by the marina people and serves as kind of a command center.

There are something like 90 meters of chain on each anchor and about a third that scope on the blocks. The stern is moored with pairs of lines.

I am on my iPad and can't attach a photo for some reason but will post some showing the mooring layout when I can. There are strong winds out of the north here from time to time and as we are moored heading almost due N, the side forces are quite high.

Oh, it just dawned on me, the boat you are talking about might be the pilot boat though he was alongside about midships most of the way out but I think he passed us just before we went through the reef. because of the size of the boat we have to use a local pilot.

-- Edited by RickB on Friday 3rd of February 2012 03:08:40 PM