Old 01-14-2016, 04:01 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderfulwade View Post
Going to run to Carrabelle via the ditch and assure all systems are tight.....it is amazing how good she handles on one engine, a good thing to know. Planning on crossing from there to Tarpon Springs. I'll be glad to have that behind me. Wonder if any transients will still be heading that way in February?
My advice (having done that trip many times) is to run outside from Panama City to Port St. Joe, then cut in and get back on the ICW there and run all the way to Apalachicola. That ditch from P.C. to Port St. Joe is no fun at all! From Apalach you can run out a bit and then turn left and follow the ICW in behind St. George Island over to the East end of it, then run into Carrabelle. Or anchor behind Dog Island. Usually, if there are transients going to make the Gulf run, they will bunch in the anchorage behind Dog Island to wait for weather.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:34 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Wonder if any transients will still be heading that way in February?
Very likely will be some. Pretty much if you're around a week or ten days you'll always run across someone moving East.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Charleston
Vessel Name: LAZY LIBRA
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Very likely will be some. Pretty much if you're around a week or ten days you'll always run across someone moving East.

Hope to blessed with a window right off the bat or I'm going to lose another first mate's time window. Estimating about 15 days total for entire voyage ,,,,,,,in a perfect world
wonderfulwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Hope to blessed with a window right off the bat or I'm going to lose another first mate's time window. Estimating about 15 days total for entire voyage ,,,,,,,in a perfect world
Well, I just did a cursory check. Right now in Carabelle there's a Gale Warning with seas 6-9' near shore and 9-12' offshore, all on 6 seconds. However, Saturday looks good at the moment.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:38 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
We are currently in Tarpon Springs and the 'Loopers' are still coming over in batches. 5 boats came in yesterday. As others have said, Dog Island and The Moorings Marina in Carrabelle seem to be the gathering point. The leave around 15:00 so as to arrive in Tarpon Springs around lunch time so they can see the crab pots better. I would time my arrival to be here at high tide as it is a little skinny up here. We are in Turtle Cove Marina, holla when you get here! I will have a well deserved cold one ready for you.
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:08 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Thanks....I'm gonna need it!
Old 01-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Here is the wind/wave forecast for the week. Not pretty! Scroll down to... Apalachicola / Carrabelle to Clearwater(southof Carrabelle)

Dee Light Website
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Plot thickens

well....after buying my boat and doing 3 weeks of work including a head gasket on the port engine......I went home to Charleston anticipating a February 1st departure......after 5 days at home I get a call that my boat sank....WTF! I jump in my truck and haul butt 8 hours to Panama City.....the boat was refloated thanks to a friend with 2 powerful pumps. I arrived at 3AM and had all engines including the generator pickled by 7am.

Long story short.......after much hard work, all engines and the generator are working great......thank you to James at Panama City Marine for all the advise...IT WORKED.

So, the only thing I lost was the fridge, hot water heater, 2 starters and alternators and every 12v positive connection that went under water.

We never pinpointed the reason she sank.

I am not leaving this boat again until I bring her home. New target date: March 1st. What an adventure!!!!
Old 02-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #29
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Wow, yes, adventure!

Might want to investigate the reason for sinking a little more maybe? Did you have insurance?

Sorry for the troubles....
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #30
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
If it sank at the dock without a pretty good idea of why....starting a cruise sounds iffy to me unless staying wthin a few miles or so of shallow water.

My quick guess is that 90% of the hundreds of salvage jobs or sinkings I have witnessed were usually pretty easy to determine the cause....or at least have a pretty good idea of what might have. Having no idea is a bit disconcerting to me nd I have a pretty low threshold for hat needs to be right before getting underway

Having a slight idea gives you a headstart when things go wrong.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:47 AM   #31
Guru

I would recommend finding the cause, whatever it takes, before moving it. If it sank once and the cause hasn't been remedied, it will sink again. Sinking isn't a random unexplained event but a cause and effect event.

Kudos to those at the marina and all who assisted and advised you.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:01 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Yes had a little insurance and it is covered. The surveyor who came out for insurance determined it was due to 3 days of heavy wind/rain, coupled with pumps overwhelmed and once some of the thru hulls went under she took on water fast. I'll buy some of that but I have other theories as well. I believe also the shore power was somehow unplugged. Anyway, I have gone thru the entire boat and plugged all non used thru hulls, I have 2 awesome bildge pumps and all new 12 v wiring and bought a 110v submersible pump that will move serious water off the generator. Since the sinking I have put 20 hours on this boat including several hours in the gulf in 4-5" seas. She's good to go. This boat is my future home......Failure is not an option!! ;-)
Old 02-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #33
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
If a Marine Trader took on serious enough rain to even sink her a 1/10 of an inch....WOW!!!!

Unless it was over a 6 month period or longer.

Or unless all the windows and hatches were open and a few holes in the deck.

If not...you have some SERIOUS leaks. Even open center consoles unless overwhelmed by waves over the stern or months of neglect with no battery power don't sink that often.

I trust your judgement about good to go...but the surveyors assessment...I would have to know a lot more before I took that one to the bank. He could be right but then something else was really wrong.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:19 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Yes had a little insurance and it is covered. The surveyor who came out for insurance determined it was due to 3 days of heavy wind/rain, coupled with pumps overwhelmed and once some of the thru hulls went under she took on water fast. I'll buy some of that but I have other theories as well. I believe also the shore power was somehow unplugged. Anyway, I have gone thru the entire boat and plugged all non used thru hulls, I have 2 awesome bildge pumps and all new 12 v wiring and bought a 110v submersible pump that will move serious water off the generator. Since the sinking I have put 20 hours on this boat including several hours in the gulf in 4-5" seas. She's good to go. This boat is my future home......Failure is not an option!! ;-)
Just keep your eye on it. It takes a lot of rain to sink a boat.

I take back any kudos for the marina if they let that much rain water build up and didn't do something or notify you. That's one reminder I give for all. You must have someone keeping an eye on your boat if you aren't there. It needs to be observed daily.

Also, I'm a strong believer in alarms set up to notify you by text wherever you are.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Just keep your eye on it. It takes a lot of rain to sink a boat.

I take back any kudos for the marina if they let that much rain water build up and didn't do something or notify you. That's one reminder I give for all. You must have someone keeping an eye on your boat if you aren't there. It needs to be observed daily.

Also, I'm a strong believer in alarms set up to notify you by text wherever you are.
Agreed! This boat sank over the course of days. And there is just no reason for it. When she was refloated nothing was leaking. Due to my present situation of living at this private dock for another month I do not want to go there at this time....let's just say I will not leave her alone again here. and the surveyor didn't even climb into the engine room......but his report got me some insurance money. so since I did all the work to get her going again.......extra funds for the restoration!!! Yay me!

So. this is all a positive outcome!
Old 02-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Did you know a Marine Trader of this vintage has solid teal floors and teak floor joists? Thank goodness! They never looks better after the salt away bath they just received.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #37
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Panama City, Fl to Charleston, SC

I need to borrow some of your positive attitude, as I sit here and fret about my silly window frame paint peeling problem.

Good for you man!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:06 PM   #38
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
WOW, what a bummer for you. Have you checked all the anti syphon valves to make certain they are working?
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
. Anyway, I have gone thru the entire boat and plugged all non used thru hulls, I have 2 awesome bildge pumps and all new 12 v wiring and bought a 110v submersible pump that will move serious water off the generator.)
You might want to invest a very small amount of money in a device which will tell you how often your bilge pump(s) are coming on. And if it were me, which it is not, I would very seriously consider going the long route around the Big Bend of Florida, rather than cutting across. And -- stupid question -- have you checked to see if the stuffing boxes are leaking? It is usually gradual when they do (which is why I suggested the bilge pump coming on counter), but those drops do tend to accumulate. Drip . . . drip . . . drip.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:33 PM   #40
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ww. Great that you have such a positive attitude BUT I'm hearing alarm bells off in the distance...Surveyor didn't go into ER?

Unless your decks are sieves or you have a direct line from the scuppers to the bilge, SOMETHING is amiss. I wish you the best of success with her but would suggest you get another 3 or 4 sets of eyes to go over everything just one more time or two. The circumstances of the sinking are worrying to me.