Old 08-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
My acquaintance mechanic worked on our steering cylinder. While installing the auto pilot system He installed a valve system that allows one to close and then you can spin the wheel, (I use the bridge station as it is the highest and furthest away from the rudder.

50 turns one way of the wheel will bleed all the air, close this valve and the system is now engaged and tight.

I am not familiar with more modern systems, only with 50 year old Wagner hydraulic steering. In these systems to use an emergency tiller you must have a valve to bypass the steering cylinder. Open it and you can use emergency tiller, OR freely circulate oil with the helm pump to purge air.

Island Cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #102
Veteran Member

City: Scappoose, OR
Vessel Name: Double-Wide
Vessel Model: Custom Power Catamaran
Welcome to northern California, John. Wish you were staying longer so I could return your and Tracey's hospitality. I'm moving over to Hayden Island next Monday.

wfleenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:47 PM   #103
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
John, There used to be an Italian restaurant down in that area, ' La Boca Giovanni'. You could really get on Tracey's Good List if you took her there, assuming it's still around.
Ken,

The world changes, and SF is no different. None of the old haunts are around anymore. The crowds have gotten bigger and the homeless have taken over. Its a shame I tell ya.

Cheers Bud
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:51 PM   #104
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfleenor View Post
Welcome to northern California, John. Wish you were staying longer so I could return your and Tracey's hospitality. I'm moving over to Hayden Island next Monday.
Hi Bill,

Are you moving to Salpare at Hayden Island? Dont know if any of the other marinas could handle your beam?
And I thought you were heading south soon? Decided to stay a bit longer?

Cheers
Old 08-12-2019, 11:01 PM   #105
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Cessna View Post
I am not familiar with more modern systems, only with 50 year old Wagner hydraulic steering. In these systems to use an emergency tiller you must have a valve to bypass the steering cylinder. Open it and you can use emergency tiller, OR freely circulate oil with the helm pump to purge air.
Dont have to bypass anything when ya got no fluid left, LOL!
I thought I knew hydraulic systems pretty well, what with being a Landscape contractor and all the equipment we had. This system had me confused a few times.
The equipment we used was pretty straight forward. Ya know, feed a little pressure, crack the fitting, wait till just fluid flows, ya get the drill.

On this system, ya fill the tank full, and then having to add air to the reservoir just to push the fluid up, go figure.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:08 PM   #106
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
Whats a tiller, John?

Just kidding! Thanks for the mentoring. Hope thatís the last of the equipment casualties for a while...

Cheers
Not to jinx it Jeff, but I may need to replace the flux compass for the Auto Pilot.
Several years ago the Auto was acting up on certain Northerly heading. We have experienced a similar action but Southerly heading, were gonna try and see if it does it again when we leave Wednesday. Might be able to nail it down to a more specific heading. Letís see what happens.

Cheers Buddy
Old 08-13-2019, 12:02 AM   #107
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Hey my friend, I may just look into that kind of ďmodificationĒ , some timeís I wonder why it always takes longer on a boat this size. Makes me wonder how deep the pockets gotta be to maintain a larger boat!

Cheers buddy!
Chief, I will take a photo next and try to send it. What the fellow did was install "T" fitting to each end of the cylinder fitting openings and within the two "T" fittings, a hose of same diameter that runs between the two, One "T" is the inlet and the other"T" the outlet at each end of the cylinder, Between the two "T's" he installed a same diameter hose with a ball valve. When you open the ball valve the steering fluid flows through the hose and not the steering cylinder. The rudder doesn't move, as it has been isolated allowing the turning of the wheel to eradicated any air. Close this inline valve and the steering cylinder is back on line.

Does that make sense? Really simple and cheap modification, two t fittings, a bit o hose with fittings, and a inline ball valve.
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #108
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Chief, I will take a photo next and try to send it. What the fellow did was install "T" fitting to each end of the cylinder fitting openings and within the two "T" fittings, a hose of same diameter that runs between the two, One "T" is the inlet and the other"T" the outlet at each end of the cylinder, Between the two "T's" he installed a same diameter hose with a ball valve. When you open the ball valve the steering fluid flows through the hose and not the steering cylinder. The rudder doesn't move, as it has been isolated allowing the turning of the wheel to eradicated any air. Close this inline valve and the steering cylinder is back on line.

Does that make sense? Really simple and cheap modification, two t fittings, a bit o hose with fittings, and a inline ball valve.
Thanks Al,
Just what I need, more fittings, LOL
Old 08-14-2019, 11:03 PM   #109
Guru

We left the Bay Area this morning at 06:50 got a nice push under the bridge and stayed in the traffic lane out past the last bouy. We had NW swells and wanted a bit smoother ride down the coast to Monterey. Day was all sunshine and we even got pics of the GG Bridge, never saw it coming inn. Just under 12 hrs travel time.
Now the Admiral is looking for her ear plugs, the seals are very loud and they are across the way under the fish processing plant. Good thing they haven’t parked on our dock, I’m too tired to chase the noisemakers away.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #110
Veteran Member

City: Puerto Escondido, Baja California Sur, Mexico
Vessel Name: Pacific
Vessel Model: DeFever 38
Chief, if you get a chance to pull into Stillwater Cove in Carmel Bay, it is a nice stop for a day or two. The bottom is a bit rocky / kelpy, but good holding. Nice restaurants nearby, and a good area to walk around Pebble Beach.
Running around Pt. Sur, further south, can be "interesting" in the afternoons, but Pfeiffer Cove is just a short ways from there, and a decent anchorage.
BajaTrawler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #111
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Cessna View Post
That Wagner system is what my boat is equipped with, down to the emergency tiller in the lazarette. As I have never tried the Emerg tiller, I don't know about any bypass valve. Can you post a picture of it so that I can identify it (if it exists) on my boat? Thx.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:56 PM   #112
Veteran Member

City: Scappoose, OR
Vessel Name: Double-Wide
Vessel Model: Custom Power Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Hi Bill,

Are you moving to Salpare at Hayden Island? Dont know if any of the other marinas could handle your beam?
And I thought you were heading south soon? Decided to stay a bit longer?

Cheers
Got lucky and found a side-tie at Hayden Bay. Will spend the winter exploring the Columbia River and head south next summer.
wfleenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM   #113
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Crusty, when we were at Lagoon Cove I was wondering around the boat, drug induced who pulls behind ASD is Impulse!!!! Shit I was hurting so bad I couldn't go outside.

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote