Pairadice is heading South

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two days is a long time bleeding air.
It indicates there may be some other problem in the system.
Perhaps go for a short run using the steering a lot and check again?

My acquaintance mechanic worked on our steering cylinder. While installing the auto pilot system He installed a valve system that allows one to close and then you can spin the wheel, (I use the bridge station as it is the highest and furthest away from the rudder.

50 turns one way of the wheel will bleed all the air, close this valve and the system is now engaged and tight.

We made it to Bodega Bay, spent the night. And left this AM for Sausalito, where we tied up at Schoomaker point Marina.
Bodega Bay is a tricky little entrance with a long fairway to get to the transit dock. We were pretty tired so no tourists stops for us. Although the transit dock has no power or water, 42 bucks for the night and right next to the fuel dock, a busy place on a Saturday morning. Off we go, only to find we had heavy fog all the way down to SF bay. The weekend warriors (fisherman) were out in force as we dodged them all the way down the coast. Never did see the GG bridge as the fog was real thick, 1/2 mile in and the bay was packed with boats coming and going.
Anyway, happy hour has come and gone, time for this old guy to call it quits for the evening, Cheers all!

My acquaintance mechanic worked on our steering cylinder. While installing the auto pilot system He installed a valve system that allows one to close and then you can spin the wheel, (I use the bridge station as it is the highest and furthest away from the rudder.

50 turns one way of the wheel will bleed all the air, close this valve and the system is now engaged and tight.

Hey my friend, I may just look into that kind of “modification” , some time’s I wonder why it always takes longer on a boat this size. Makes me wonder how deep the pockets gotta be to maintain a larger boat!

Cheers buddy!

Two days is a long time bleeding air.
It indicates there may be some other problem in the system.
Perhaps go for a short run using the steering a lot and check again?

Well, the union boss was fetching the beers, and I am an old guy!

So, playing like tourist yesterday, went over to Fisherman’s Warf, what a zoo! Only stayed for a few hours, did find a great little BBQ restaurant across from the Maritime Museum. A favorite haunt I use to go to down on Pier 39 is long gone.
Shame, it was a great place to hang out and listen to blues many years ago when I was stationed on the Abraham Lincoln at Alameda.

Looks like we will continue south Wednesday.

Attachments

• B586F13B-3428-4E6D-9E57-A91B84C6FD72.jpg
    B586F13B-3428-4E6D-9E57-A91B84C6FD72.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 51
A favorite haunt I use to go to down on Pier 39 is long gone.
Shame, it was a great place to hang out and listen to blues many years ago when I was stationed on the Abraham Lincoln at Alameda.

Yep, you can never go "home"

Ted

Whats a tiller, John?

Just kidding! Thanks for the mentoring. Hope that’s the last of the equipment casualties for a while...

Cheers

John, There used to be an Italian restaurant down in that area, ' La Boca Giovanni'. You could really get on Tracey's Good List if you took her there, assuming it's still around.

I am not familiar with more modern systems, only with 50 year old Wagner hydraulic steering. In these systems to use an emergency tiller you must have a valve to bypass the steering cylinder. Open it and you can use emergency tiller, OR freely circulate oil with the helm pump to purge air.

Welcome to northern California, John. Wish you were staying longer so I could return your and Tracey's hospitality. I'm moving over to Hayden Island next Monday.

John, There used to be an Italian restaurant down in that area, ' La Boca Giovanni'. You could really get on Tracey's Good List if you took her there, assuming it's still around.

Ken,

The world changes, and SF is no different. None of the old haunts are around anymore. The crowds have gotten bigger and the homeless have taken over. Its a shame I tell ya.

Cheers Bud

Welcome to northern California, John. Wish you were staying longer so I could return your and Tracey's hospitality. I'm moving over to Hayden Island next Monday.

Hi Bill,

Are you moving to Salpare at Hayden Island? Dont know if any of the other marinas could handle your beam?
And I thought you were heading south soon? Decided to stay a bit longer?

Cheers

I am not familiar with more modern systems, only with 50 year old Wagner hydraulic steering. In these systems to use an emergency tiller you must have a valve to bypass the steering cylinder. Open it and you can use emergency tiller, OR freely circulate oil with the helm pump to purge air.

Dont have to bypass anything when ya got no fluid left, LOL!
I thought I knew hydraulic systems pretty well, what with being a Landscape contractor and all the equipment we had. This system had me confused a few times.
The equipment we used was pretty straight forward. Ya know, feed a little pressure, crack the fitting, wait till just fluid flows, ya get the drill.

On this system, ya fill the tank full, and then having to add air to the reservoir just to push the fluid up, go figure.

Whats a tiller, John?

Just kidding! Thanks for the mentoring. Hope that’s the last of the equipment casualties for a while...

Cheers

Not to jinx it Jeff, but I may need to replace the flux compass for the Auto Pilot.
Several years ago the Auto was acting up on certain Northerly heading. We have experienced a similar action but Southerly heading, were gonna try and see if it does it again when we leave Wednesday. Might be able to nail it down to a more specific heading. Let’s see what happens.

Cheers Buddy

Hey my friend, I may just look into that kind of “modification” , some time’s I wonder why it always takes longer on a boat this size. Makes me wonder how deep the pockets gotta be to maintain a larger boat!

Cheers buddy!

Chief, I will take a photo next and try to send it. What the fellow did was install "T" fitting to each end of the cylinder fitting openings and within the two "T" fittings, a hose of same diameter that runs between the two, One "T" is the inlet and the other"T" the outlet at each end of the cylinder, Between the two "T's" he installed a same diameter hose with a ball valve. When you open the ball valve the steering fluid flows through the hose and not the steering cylinder. The rudder doesn't move, as it has been isolated allowing the turning of the wheel to eradicated any air. Close this inline valve and the steering cylinder is back on line.

Does that make sense? Really simple and cheap modification, two t fittings, a bit o hose with fittings, and a inline ball valve.

Chief, I will take a photo next and try to send it. What the fellow did was install "T" fitting to each end of the cylinder fitting openings and within the two "T" fittings, a hose of same diameter that runs between the two, One "T" is the inlet and the other"T" the outlet at each end of the cylinder, Between the two "T's" he installed a same diameter hose with a ball valve. When you open the ball valve the steering fluid flows through the hose and not the steering cylinder. The rudder doesn't move, as it has been isolated allowing the turning of the wheel to eradicated any air. Close this inline valve and the steering cylinder is back on line.

Does that make sense? Really simple and cheap modification, two t fittings, a bit o hose with fittings, and a inline ball valve.

Thanks Al,
Just what I need, more fittings, LOL

We left the Bay Area this morning at 06:50 got a nice push under the bridge and stayed in the traffic lane out past the last bouy. We had NW swells and wanted a bit smoother ride down the coast to Monterey. Day was all sunshine and we even got pics of the GG Bridge, never saw it coming inn. Just under 12 hrs travel time.
Now the Admiral is looking for her ear plugs, the seals are very loud and they are across the way under the fish processing plant. Good thing they haven’t parked on our dock, I’m too tired to chase the noisemakers away.

Chief, if you get a chance to pull into Stillwater Cove in Carmel Bay, it is a nice stop for a day or two. The bottom is a bit rocky / kelpy, but good holding. Nice restaurants nearby, and a good area to walk around Pebble Beach.
Running around Pt. Sur, further south, can be "interesting" in the afternoons, but Pfeiffer Cove is just a short ways from there, and a decent anchorage.

That Wagner system is what my boat is equipped with, down to the emergency tiller in the lazarette. As I have never tried the Emerg tiller, I don't know about any bypass valve. Can you post a picture of it so that I can identify it (if it exists) on my boat? Thx.

Hi Bill,

Are you moving to Salpare at Hayden Island? Dont know if any of the other marinas could handle your beam?
And I thought you were heading south soon? Decided to stay a bit longer?

Cheers

Got lucky and found a side-tie at Hayden Bay. Will spend the winter exploring the Columbia River and head south next summer.

Crusty, when we were at Lagoon Cove I was wondering around the boat, drug induced who pulls behind ASD is Impulse!!!! **** I was hurting so bad I couldn't go outside.

That Wagner system is what my boat is equipped with, down to the emergency tiller in the lazarette. As I have never tried the Emerg tiller, I don't know about any bypass valve. Can you post a picture of it so that I can identify it (if it exists) on my boat? Thx.

It’s pretty hard to get a good photo down in the lazarette. Here is a page from the Wagner catalogue making the bypass valve installation clear.
Bill

IMG_6681.jpg

Dolphins and Whales, Oh Boy!

Departed Monterey the 19th for San Simeon bay, a little lumpy to start out with but once we got heading south the following seas made the trip a pretty smooth one. Starting to notice the change in the landscape along the coast, much drier.

We pulled into San Simeon and set the anchor in 25 ft, had the bay all to ourselves. Well protected from the NW swells and wind with a small amount of surge. Nice evening and even nicer was the view of the Hurst Castle up on the hill. They lite it up at night, pretty cool. We visited this castle 6 years ago. The bay sure looks small from up there.

Departed at eight the next morning for a long run to San Luis Obispo. Lots of wild life in and on the water since leaving Monterey. Had dolphins run with us several times, crossing across our bow, bobbing and weaving, great show. The whales seem to be heading south also. Most appear to be humpback but not real sure. When they appear close to the boat, of course we dont have the camera on, but we did get a few pics of them when we could.

Pulled into San Luis Obispo and grabbed a mooring ball. Here we will wait out the blow for the next 4 days. Right now its blowing 30 knots with gusts up to 37.

We hope to depart on Saturday when we will have a great weather window to get around Point Conception.

Attachments

• BB97FEAD-7A55-4FF9-B2DD-BBBD87B1E4E4.jpg
    BB97FEAD-7A55-4FF9-B2DD-BBBD87B1E4E4.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 02149CFE-C2E2-4F61-B3C5-E825B5BFB19E.jpg
    02149CFE-C2E2-4F61-B3C5-E825B5BFB19E.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 52
  • 9C366B60-CE6F-472F-B39B-839E6377D216.jpg
    9C366B60-CE6F-472F-B39B-839E6377D216.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 5785BAF2-A249-410D-A95C-D631906F55EF.jpg
    5785BAF2-A249-410D-A95C-D631906F55EF.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 54
  • CBA304E8-3FBA-4E2E-A041-0B03AB736A5E.jpg
    CBA304E8-3FBA-4E2E-A041-0B03AB736A5E.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 53
Another long day,

12 hr run from San Luis Obispo to Santa Barbara, Man this is a big marina! I’m told they just get bigger farther down.

Quit counting whale’s after 16 separate view’s, some had a few in each pod.
About 90 mins out of Santa Barbara, we were visited by two Hugh pods of dolphins/porpoises, was awe struck by the sheer numbers, 100’s I tell ya.

2 days rest here, and then onto Oxnard where we will stay put for a month of so.

Cheers All

Guess a few pics would be nice!

Also, Point Conception was a nice and comfortable ride, had 3 footers at 9-10 seconds off our stern.

Attachments

• F78FF671-3472-4C49-95F9-4670123336E6.jpg
    F78FF671-3472-4C49-95F9-4670123336E6.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 465C5931-8735-4A38-875D-A2D92786756E.jpg
    465C5931-8735-4A38-875D-A2D92786756E.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 25D7AD1F-065F-4915-8F4D-B73C498AD448.jpg
    25D7AD1F-065F-4915-8F4D-B73C498AD448.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 73
Haven't had an update in a while.........Looks like you are loving Kookafornia too much!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom