Pacific Northwest 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rsysol

Vessel Name
Antipodes
Vessel Make
Yachtsmiths
Hello group,

We are a cruising family (Me and the wife + our 12 year old son) currently wintering in San Francisco Bay with plans to head to the PNW for the 2015 cruising season. We just returned from a year in Mexico so we thought we'd try some cold water for a change of pace.

We have plans to hit as many of the popular places as possible and extend the season as long as possible while in the northwest. Our ultimate goal is Alaska but we're more concerned with the adventure, not the destination so that is still written in pencil.

I'd like to hear from those who plan on cruising the area with kids and if cruising this area is conducive to meeting other families to hang with. We had a great group of kid boats in Mexico and are looking to recreate that in the PNW.

Hope to see you out there!

Randy

Some of the best places to meet other families in both the San Juans and Gulf Islands are the marine parks. They're popular with families because there's easy access to shore, often beaches to play on, hiking trails, and so on.

You might want to get a copy of one or more of the popular guidebooks for Puget Sound and the BC coast. A good one to start with is the Waggoner Guide, published annually. I believe there is an on-line version or an app, I haven't looked into it. If one is more interested in anchorages and navigation info, we prefer the Douglass Guides. We have both types of guides plus others on the boat, along with both the US and Canadian government sailing directions for the region.

None of your phones and Pads will pull up economical data in Canada. Most kids today cannot survive without being connected. If this is an issue for those aboard, get a plan for the devices suitable for North of the border. Alaska can prove challenging too in this regard.

Does the young one like isolation and rain? We have noted for years the absence of young ones on vessels when doing the trip North once past Vancouver, fewer families and more grandparents.

Rsysol

Welcome to TF you came to the right place for the resources your looking for

looking forward to following you on your adventure

You can cruise year round in the PNW. Here's a picture from Friday Harbor yesterday evening.

The further north you go the fewer kids you'll likely see. Desolation Sound is a pretty popular family spot, since it's accessible on a two week holiday, the water is warm enough for swimming during summer, and there are lots of lakes. Oh yeah, the scenery is beautiful, but it's not very desolate during peak summer season (July and August).

North of Desolation Sound I don't see many families cruising...most folks seem to be older and retired. I cruised SE Alaska in 2012 and 2014 and only remember meeting a couple of families cruising with younger kids. I had a 6 and 9 year old on the boat between Sitka and Juneau last summer. They did fine, enjoyed seeing bears and whales and kayaking among ice at the face of glaciers, but it was a lot of work keeping them entertained. In 10 days we didn't see anyone else their age, had very little cell phone service, and they could rarely get to shore because of terrain and wildlife. Having some movies loaded onto an iPad for them was a lifesaver.

Attachments

• SAM_5486.jpg
    SAM_5486.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 143
The last two summers in SE Alaska I had our now 10-year-old grand nephew with me for 6-7 weeks, and for two weeks the year before. Had his 8th, 9th, and 10th birthdays on board our small cruiser. He absolutely loved every minute of it, and would stay all summer if it were practical. Loved the scenery, the critters, learning the craft of boating, and especially the fishing (and eating the fish/crab/shrimp). Blew us all away by catching a 50lb King mooching near Craig last summer, and also a 60lb halibut.

Never missed being connected to the net, but he doesn't get to spend a lot of time doing that here at home either. BTW, in SE AK access to the net via cell service is pretty good in many locations - unlike much of north coast BC.

Hi, welcome aboard :)

This is only a guess, but my hunch is that most "cruisers" north of Vancouver Island stick to the Inside Passage on their way to Alaska. The people who live up here, and boat with kids, tend to be exploring off the beaten path.

Our experience so far is that people up here don't socialize much at anchorages...a polite wave for sure, but rarely does anybody "drop by for a visit". Maybe it's because as northerners, we like and appreciate our space. One thing is for sure, there is tons of room to spread out because we can go days without seeing another boat.

This can be good for a kid...space to think, space to be independent, space to become confident doing new things and having responsibilities, space to learn how to slow down and become thoughtful.

We have dogs (two Yorkies and a Pyrenees/Lab cross bush dog) as well as our 13 year old daughter and go to shore at least twice a day...but we keep seasonal bear habitats in mind and all three of us have pepper spray.

I work full time so don't have much time to "hang" out there, but give me a private message as you head into north coast BC and I'll give you some hints for places to visit,

Murray

Attachments

• Beach explore.jpg
    Beach explore.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
If there are kids we find them on beeches and marine parks or messing with the small boats at protected anchorages less so the farther northwest one goes. Kids aside it is a great boating area and one does not have to go too far North to appreciate that. Stay below the rapids above desolation sound and there will be plenty of kids and dogs.

Rsysol, welcome to TF. There are a lot of PNW boaters here so you should a lot of good information.

When you're heading up the coast, consider a side trip up the Columbia River and on up the Snake River. You'll encounter some very different, very beautiful, scenery from what you see along the coast. Instead of the tree covered mountains you'll see lots of desert country, rugged hills and some of the tallest locks in the world.

Here's a link to my Photobucket account that will give you some peeks into what you'll encounter up here.....

Beachcomber Coming Home Photos by gofirstclass | Photobucket

In the summer of 2013 I had the pleasure of helping a boater take his boat from Seattle to Stockton, CA. The scenery is beautiful along the coastal areas but much different from what you'll see here. It's also much warmer and sunnier up in this part of the PNW.

Thanks for all the great information so far. We spent the last cruising season in Mexico so we are aware of the issues with dealing with the lack of connectivity and self entertainment. In my opinion, a great thing but my 12 year old would disagree! We spent a lot of our time swimming so we may need to find another activity up north.

We've chartered in the San Juans and Gulf Islands so we have some limited experience with the area. Really looking forward to exploring further north. I have several of the guidebooks mentioned and the Waggoner Guide for 2014 is already downloaded onto the iPad.

Sounds like we'll be in good company up to Desolation Sound with families, we've scheduled a lot of time there before heading to the Broughtons and SE Alaska.

Thanks again for the info!

I posted a thread twice on my trips to and from Alaska. We moved there and then back again and have no input on kids afloat other than probably needing to provide something to occupy their minds and perhaps bodies.

The thread on our trip north was "A Long way Home II". A Long way Home I is no longer available ... I think. My pictures will probably prepare you significantly as to where you will be going. What kind of land and sea is it up there.

A Long way Home is on page 6 of Voyagers and other Boaters on the go with 209 posts with lots of feedback from other TF members and lots of pictures. If you find the first "Long way Home" please let me know where it is.

Last edited:
Also check out the Dreamspeaker cruising guides by Anne and Laurence Yeadon-Jones. Lots of information and beautiful illustrations.

Families cruising are out here. We have a 15, 13 and 11 year old. And cruise all Summer. July in Desolation and August in the Broughtons. We've met some other families and cruise yearly with them into those areas. It's great having the kids around and watching them experience BC. Hopefully we will see you next Summer.

We cruised S.E. Alaska extensively when our kids were young. The small communities have play grounds were the kids played with other kids. Also we found kids at the local library s, some just a shack with book shelves. Many of the commercial fishing boats have kids aboard that love to play in row boats and inflatables with other kids. As an aside, you probably know that Coast Pilot #8 is a must for S.E. There are numerous hazards and it is the best book for safety.

Old deckhand,
You've got my favorite boat and you live in one of my favorite places.
We just reciently left SE (Thorne Bay) but we almost went to Sitka or Juneau.
Welcome to the forum and don't hold back.

Families cruising are out here. We have a 15, 13 and 11 year old. And cruise all Summer. July in Desolation and August in the Broughtons. We've met some other families and cruise yearly with them into those areas. It's great having the kids around and watching them experience BC. Hopefully we will see you next Summer.
Bigsalmonfish,

Thanks for the info, sounds like we may cross paths, hope to meet you up there.

As mentioned above, I'll bet the average age of the boater goes up 20 years above Desolation. Still we saw several kids in all the areas we stopped. Places like Port McNeil and some of the docks in the Broughtons such as Pierre's have kids around. Desolation sound has the warmest water in the PNW, as the tidal current meet, mid Vancouver Island trapping the warm surface later. Temps reach almost 80 F.

We will be heading to Hakai Pass and beyond this summer. New territory for us too!

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Eric, We like Thorn Bay and eventually bought a nice beach lot in
Port Saint Nick on the other side of POW. Held the lot for 20 years thinking we would build a cabin, eventually sold the lot. Sitka is a special place and not many folks make it there compared to those running the inside. Also the west coast of POW is special too. Thanks for the kind words on the Eagle (our sea going RV).

If your going as far north as Alaska, keep in mind that most boats will leave the Seattle area in April or early May. This early in the season the kids will still be in school and you will have few boats out and about. You might consider spending less time in Washington and BC on the way up, and more time on the way back when the boats with family's will be out in force. As others have said, most family's with kids and only a week or two, wont go much further than Desolation Sound.
As a kid growing up in the San Juan's, we would spend most of our days fishing for bottom fish or perch off the docks. After cleaning them for dinner, we used the rest for crab bait. Kids love to catch crabs, so if you have never done this, put it on your list. Also shrimp fishing is very popular but usually requires a electric puller to pull them up from 300+ feet. Most boats with kids will have kayak's too.(probably same where you live)
Do some research on how to be safe when hiking in bear country.
The water for the most part is to cold to swim in, so any place that has a swimming pool will draw the family's with kids. Have a good trip.

I am planning to travel up the West Coast of Vancouver Island Island in my Universal 36 (slow) this summer, it would be more fun if I joined others or was joined by others. If anyone can recommend a better place to post please do so, I am new to this.
Thanks John

A fun spot to stay is New Castle Island, across the bay from Nanaimo. There are lots of hiking paths and it's a good place to watch the Strait of Georgia. There's a neat little pub/restaurant located in the bay that you can take your dingy to and tie up outside. This is a good place to get groceries as the store is close to the docks at Nanaimo. Also a good marine store real close.

I would highly recommend a side trip to Princess Louise Inlet on the way north. If you are planning a early departure ((April/May) there will be few people there and you will loose track of the water falls on the way up. Allow one day to get there once you enter Jarvis Inlet and you will have a rapids you will need to transit at slack tide.

Once you across the Strait of Georgia, your in bear country, mostly black bears until you get to and past the Broughton Islands. What I like to do is travel fairly close to shore and take a good look at all the beaches you pass. Anything that's much darker than the surroundings is worth looking at with the binoculars. Bears will often times be up close to the tree line but they could be down at the water line too. I will usually see several every day.

You will want to put Port McNeill on your list of places to stop. The docks are adjacent to town and this is the last good place to provision until you get to Ketchikan. ( The store at Prince Rupert is several blocks from the docks but is doable)

Will post more later.

I will stop there on my way south in late August but the trip my original post was about is up the west coast of the island not the inside. I will keep filing notes on a lap top in the approximate order that I will be close to the various points of interest.

Thanks John

I will stop there on my way south in late August but the trip my original post was about is up the west coast of the island not the inside. I will keep filing notes on a lap top in the approximate order that I will be close to the various points of interest.

Thanks John

Sorry for the mix up. My post was directed at the original skipper

I am planning to travel up the West Coast of Vancouver Island Island in my Universal 36 (slow) this summer, it would be more fun if I joined others or was joined by others. If anyone can recommend a better place to post please do so, I am new to this.
Thanks John

Have you done the West side of VI before? Buddy boating there can be a challenge because each persons appetite varies for desired daily distances and tolerance to big swells with cross waves on top. For sure you would encounter others doing the same each day if you pick the more popular stops.

Barclay Sound is the best bet for finding others doing the same. But the vessels will be fewer than doing the inside.

Hello group,

I'd like to hear from those who plan on cruising the area with kids and if cruising this area is conducive to meeting other families to hang with. We had a great group of kid boats in Mexico and are looking to recreate that in the PNW.

Hope to see you out there!

Randy

Randy,

I just wrote an almost identical post to yours. Quite a coincidence that we both seek the same thing! We plan on leaving SFO in Spring and heading up to PNW for summer with our boat. Our core crew is my wife, daughter (13) and I. Our boat has similar speed and capabilities to yours.

If you would like to meet up please PM me and we can meet up in Sausalito or your area.

Kind regards,

Pete

SE AK is amazing and since I live here we're on the boat and exploring constantly. My 11 year old insists that she go with us every time and really enjoys being out. Many islands have floats that will accommodate decent sized boats, but those can be crowded during commercial fishing openings or logging operations. So you will bump into others up here - folks are social and decent for the most part. Most of the islands have some roads that are great for walking or biking. Our kids are rarely bored and we are out most weekends and holidays. Cell connectivity is spotty, but as said above, probably better than you'd expect. Shoot me a message if you get as far north as Petersburg and need specific information.

We will be returning our boat from N Vancouver to Sitka near the of May. Please give us a shout if you see us poking along.

Back
Top Bottom