Old 12-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #21
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
i am about to call Blue Dolphin Marina this morning. That will be our final destination for the year.
Blue Dolphin is right next door t us. When do you think you'll get here?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #22

City: Hitchcock
I would not recommend Blue Dolphin. There are ZERO amenities, the docks are fixed and rather shabby, and this time of year the water blows out.
captBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:44 PM   #23
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
.... When do you think you'll get here?
probably around mid to late Feb if the weather cooperates. We are going to stay in Gulfport/Long Beach area for about a month. Winter is the worse time to travel - crappy weather and short days.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:48 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by captBrett View Post
I would not recommend Blue Dolphin. There are ZERO amenities, the docks are fixed and rather shabby, and this time of year the water blows out.
I agree. We have stayed in Blue Dolphin before and only because of the covered slips. If not for covered slips, it has nothing else to offer.
Not too many covered slips in the area. Anyway, I was just informed that Seabrook Marina now has covered slips. I will look into that tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
I agree. We have stayed in Blue Dolphin before and only because of the covered slips. If not for covered slips, it has nothing else to offer.
Not too many covered slips in the area. Anyway, I was just informed that Seabrook Marina now has covered slips. I will look into that tomorrow.
Seabrook Marina does have covered slips, fairly new. But no security.

If you're a member of a Gulf yacht club you might be able to stay at Lakewood. I could check.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
probably around mid to late Feb if the weather cooperates. We are going to stay in Gulfport/Long Beach area for about a month. Winter is the worse time to travel - crappy weather and short days.
We'll be finishing up preparations to leave about then. Give a shout when you're close. We'll hook up.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:59 PM   #27
Guru

Will do
Old 01-24-2017, 05:29 PM   #28
Guru

after a month and a half lay-over in Long beach, Ms., we are back on the road. Left there this morning, made it through the Industrial lock and Algiers Locks and are now camping out below the locks.
Tomorrow, we will be in Houma late afternoon, and spend an extra day or 2 there. Hopefully, we will connect with Steve Willett og Gumbo and Rionnie (Kart racer). It's always fun meeting face to face with people u meet on here.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
We're planning to come upriver ..... Hopefully we'll leave Seabrook the first week of March.....Paul
With luck, I will be in Seabrook in about 3 weeks or less. Hopefully, we can get together some time.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Tony, say hi to Steve and Ronney in Houma for me. If you want a great, reasonably priced breakfast, go to the hospital cafeteria (2 minute walk there....10 minutes to get back).
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Tony, say hi to Steve and Ronney in Houma for me. If you want a great, reasonably priced breakfast, go to the hospital cafeteria (2 minute walk there....10 minutes to get back).
Wifey B: Hospital cafeteria? That's just too freaky for me. I don't like to eat at gas stations either.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I had better not mention that you have to walk past the morgue to get to the cafeteria then. (and no, the proximity of the morgue is not a reflection on the quality of the food!)
Old 01-24-2017, 09:14 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
With luck, I will be in Seabrook in about 3 weeks or less. Hopefully, we can get together some time.
We're delayed a bit, so we'll be here until March 15 at least.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:26 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
. If you want a great, reasonably priced breakfast, go to the hospital cafeteria (2 minute walk there....10 minutes to get back).
Will say hi to Ronnie and Steve for you.
We have eaten there before. It's hard to explain to anyone that has not been been to coastal La. that hospital food can actually taste good. We also plan on going back to Bilello's Cafe. Great food there.

I'll let you know when we get to Lake Arthur. There is a really nice little hidden RV park about 45 mins to an hour (I think) north of the ICW. It has a small dock and sells Gasoline. Not sure about Diesel Fuel. Anyway, we stayed at their dock once before. It's called Myers Landing.

I believe our next stop after Lake Arthur will be Lake Charles and then Port Arthur, TX. Hopefully we can get together at either Port Arthur or Lake Chas.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:33 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
We're delayed a bit, so we'll be here until March 15 at least.
From my experience and others also, there is a very good likelyhood that you wont be able to head north out of Mobile Bay until late May or early June. The frequent late spring rains bring flooding and lots and lots of logs coming down the Mobile River.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:11 AM   #36
Guru

We made it to Houma, La. in 2 days like we hoped for. We got here the day before yesterday and met Ronnie (Kart Racer) for the first time. Really great guy. He offered rides anything else we needed. Yesterday morning started out with a stop to a bakery where he had surprised my wife with a King Cake which is a big deal down here during Mardi Gras season and some fancy French pastry. He took us to West Marine to get a windlass part. Pulling up anchor and rode by hand is not only not fun, it's messy.
Anyway, at West Marine, we met up with Steve Willett. Another great member here. We met Steve here in Houma 3 years ago, on our way to inland waterways. Ronnie bought us all lunch and then we went to find a mechanic to check out my tranny. False alarm, my ignorance of machinery led me to believe I had a problem, when in fact, I did not. Even at that, I was relieved when the bill was only $186. Steve had brought us (Helen, actually) a sack of his backyard oranges. Long story, but these are Steve's magic healing oranges. Anyway, it was a great get together and hopefully I will get to see them again today.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #37

City: Hitchcock
When do you think you will arrive in Galveston?
captBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:55 AM   #38

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Tony
Long run from Houma to Port Authur-Not to many safe spots to anchor along the ICW west of Morgan City. If you need a place to stay on the way, I have a camp with dock at Cypremort Point you can use. Just give me a few hours heads up and I can meet you there-celll 337-280-3086
Doug
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:43 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Tony, if you take Doug up on his offer, let me know and I will meet you there (if that's OK Doug). Make sure he brings his brother-in-law to cook. He is pretty dang good.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:56 AM   #40
Guru

Thanks, I might just take u up on that.
Again, the greatest people hang around TrawlerForum