NW Alabama to Houston, Tx.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good luck with bringing Evangeline home to Lafayette. We just deal with things as they come. 'Situations' are all part of boating. Where in NE are you?
NY state in the Hudson valley at my moms.
Refurbishing the Achilles and fabricating a swivel engine mount for it.

NY state in the Hudson valley at my moms.

I lived in Newburgh, NY in the Hudson Valley from 1971 to 1976. That was probably the best time in my life. We always used to say "there is nothing you can do serious enough to get arrested in Newburgh, NY". It was a fun wide open town. I don't remember ever sleeping during those 6 years. It was just one big party after another. But that was over 40 years ago.

Back in Kemah, Tx.

We were supposed to stay a few more days in Sabine Pass due to weather. Blue and Michelle were going to come by and bring us over to their place for the day.That was Sunday.

I woke up around 6 AM and just looked outside and it didn't look and feel like T-storm weather to me, but it was still dark out. I got on the internet and looked up weather.com and wunderground.com. The forecasts had changed and I was thinking that this is the 2 day window I needed to get to my final location. If I miss this, I will have to wait till Thurs or Fri for next chance.

Helen woke up around 7 AM and I told her that the weather forecast had changed. If we hurry and get out of here, we can make Boliver Peninula well before dark.

By 8 AM, hose rolled up, electric unplugged and we are untied and on our way. As the day progressed, we ran into several 'slow-downs' due to traffic. This area is very busy with both small and LARGE traffic and not all that much room to maneuver in. Further down the line, when traffic lightened up a bit, we got behind some tows. Ever get stuck behind a tow moving at 5.1 MPH overtaking another tow doing 5.0 MPH? I had to drift out of gear several times because my Mainship idles faster than that. As soon as the overtaking tow passed the slower one, I called them on the radio. I was going to overtake the slower one on its port side, then cut across its bow and overtake the speed demon (the one doing 5.1 MPH) on its Stbd side.
I cranked 'er up and slithered on through with no problem. Helen lost her skin color and the air filled with silence for a while.

Anyway, we made it to Steves Landing on Boliver Peninsula around 4:30 and the restaurant had already closed for the day. We tied up on their dock which incidentally, had about 4 more feet of water under us, and spent the night.

We woke up yesterday morning and made the last leg of our trip by noon. I guess our 3 year trip has now completed. It was one heck of a ride. Our 'Serenity' is now up for sale and we are looking forward to a new chapter in our lives on a 5th Wheel - with a 14' Inflatable and 25 HP O/B.

Back
Top Bottom