Old 12-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
For the northern guys

Quote:
Marin wrote:*I'll take rain, snow, sleet,*cold and overcast any day over sun and heat................I love weather and the dynamics it brings.* It makes me feel alive.*
******** Atta boy, Marin! If you say it enough, you will actually start to believe it!

dwhatty loves where he lives in northern Maine. Here he is enjoying the "off boating" season.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 17th of December 2011 11:46:15 AM
Attached Thumbnails
dave hawkins.jpg  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Cochrane, Alberta
Vessel Name: Painters Cove
Vessel Model: 1997 Bayliner 5788
RE: For the northern guys

Eric

When will you and Willy make the long trip south?* Will you make a fast point to point *trip or make a long summer out of it?
weebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Weebobby,

Not sure but it must be before next winter. I just spent 5 days (74 hours) on the ferry and did'nt see any weather Willy could'nt handle well. Quite a bit of *5 or 6' seas but we've done a lot of that *...just uncomfortable but ther'es always the possibility of things getting worse. I do'nt think I could bring myself to do it but I've always thought how "interesting" it would be to do the inside passage in the winter. However Ice would be the real threat ..not seas. I'd like to come south in the spring though. Then we could haul out and work on the house all summer. I really do'nt know how we're going to do this and selling this house has a lot to do w it. When we run up and down the coast we always seem to be in a hurry so I hope to spend some time actually cruising this time.

Walt,

HaHa dwhatty looks like Chris and I here in Thorne Bay. Chris does the blanket thing most of the time and I even do it much of the time in the winter mostly because we have hot water heat in the floors and it takes a long time to experience more heat when we turn up the thermostat. Frequently I wish we had a wood stove so we could light a fire and warm up right away. We will in the new house in Washington.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
LaConner's a fun place. Could be your loss. ....Actually I'm looking fwd to cruising the south sound. Why limit yourself Marin? One's boat and the world in general is limiting enough.
*We go to La Conner several times a year by car, usually on our way to or from Bellingham.* In fact I just bought a hard-to-find brace and bit in one of the antique stores there (need it for removing big bronze fasteners on the GB).* And you're right, La Conner is quite nice although it's become awfully twee and touristy over the last ten or fifteen years. But it's the boat that refuses to go south, not us.* Not that I blame it.*

After several decades of flying floatplanes around the south Sound and Hood Canal and a few years of crewing on a co-worders racing sailboat in races between Seattle and Port Ludlow I've come to the conclusion that of all the waters between Olympia and Juneau, the south Sound is the most boring.* Flat, featureless shorelines, bordered solid with houses, mostly marina-hopping which is okay if you're into that sort of thing--- we're not.

We do fish in the south Sound with the Arima, around the south end of Whidbey Island, around Hat (Gedney) Island, and between Hat and Cameno Head.* But other than that we've not found anything appealing south of the San Juans.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote