Old 08-30-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Tivat
Vessel Name: Nostra Signora
Vessel Model: Marine Trader CHB 34DC
Near anchoring mishap in Montenegro

I thought people might find it interesting to hear about a close call we had last weekend, how we got into it, and how we got out of it.

It was my wife's birthday on Saturday and we had arranged to have a party at a local beach bar with a jetty that one can anchor off stern too, or 'Med' Moor'.
This is a fairly standard practice over this side of the pond so we didn't really think much of it in the planning process.

It is easier at this point to include a few images for better understanding.

As you can see there was a slight breeze on the port side at this point.

However, a thunderstorm was forecast and brewing that was making me pretty nervous.
Keeping an eye to the north, or STB side of us, I saw the rain approaching a few miles away being proceeded by a line of white caps indicating some pretty strong wind on its way.
I got back on board and started the engines and put them in gear ahead to hold the boat steady when the wind hit.
From experience of this area, I knew the wind would only last 1/2 hour (which it did) and given it was my wife's birthday and there were 50 people arriving shortly, I didn't want to move the boat even though my brain was screaming at me to get out of there. And there in lies my big mistake!

When the wind hit, it came in a gust of over 30 knots and heeled the boat what must have been 15 degrees or more.
The anchor dragged and even though I increased the revs to try to hold her in situ', there was nothing I could do to prevent us being pushed over to port. The main problem was the mooring line configuration back to a single central bollard on the dock which did not allow me to leverage or spring on my stern lines.

So we ended up like this with our port quarter bouncing on a rock in the increasing sea state.

This was starting to put a bit of a dampener on the birthday party!

I could see the waves increasing and was not happy about the fact that we were bouncing on a rock (thankfully it was flat). I couldn't just release the mooring lines and get out of there without ended up on the beach. So the only thing I could think to do was put the engines in tick over ahead with the helm hard to STB so that the prop wash would hold us firmly planted against the rock.

I figured this was the lesser of two evils, and it worked as it should have by stopping the boat bouncing on the rock and holding her firm even in the increasing seas.

However, I knew it was only a matter of time before serious damage would occur, and that I had to get out of this situation. We are about 3 minutes in at this point.

Having sailed traditional single screw no bow thruster sailing ships as a profession has given me a good understanding of the use of mooring lines for springing out of situations. So that was the next step here.

I let go the stb stern line that was preventing the boat from moving forwards and put all the weight on the port line at the same time swinging the helm over hard to port so that the prop wash was pushing the port quarter away from the rock.

I also took up the slack on the anchor as it came to us.

We ended up tethered like this.

The trouble was that I knew I could not stay like this with the increasing wind and sea, so had to get out of there.

I figured if I tried slip the last mooring line, I would not have time to get it aboard and it would end up with it trailing and potentially ending up in the prop which would mean absolute disaster.

So with my wife manning the windlass, I grabbed the trusty knife, cut the remaining mooring line as my wife brought up on the windlass. Then in record speed I literately flew up onto the fly bridge to the engine controls.

With the line cut, the boat swung free as the chain came in moving ahead of and missing the rocks. As soon as we were clear I hammered the port engine revs ahead and Stb astern to swing her head to wind so that the anchor could come aboard and we could breath a sigh of relief.

So....lessons learnt.

1. Always listen to your gut feeling
2. Always listen to your gut feeling!

I do wonder if it is a good idea to post this and the comments I may get for it, but if my near disaster can help anyone avoid the same thing, then it is worth it.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Goodonya Tony. Took courage to put that up, but darned good illustration of what can go wrong, and how to recover from a sticky situation...which we all end up in sometimes.
Talking illustration, I am really impressed by the diagrams. What app did you do that with, if I may ask..?
Old 08-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Goodonya Tony. Took courage to put that up, but darned good illustration of what can go wrong, and how to recover from a sticky situation...which we all end up in sometimes.
Talking illustration, I am really impressed by the diagrams. What app did you do that with, if I may ask..?
Hi Pete,

I used photoshop to draw it up.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 08-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Here is a photo of the offending location!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Sailtones (Tony) wrote: I do wonder if it is a good idea to post this and the comments I may get for it, but if my near disaster can help anyone avoid the same thing, then it is worth it.

It was a good idea to post it. May help someone else out at some point. If you are worried about comments such as "Oh, my, you should not have done this (or that, or the other)", ignore them. Boat owners who have been doing it for a while are basically divided into two groups. Those who admit to having made mistakes, and those who lie about it and say they have never made any. :-)

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Quote:
I can't find the diagrams. I looked at the blog spot but can't seem to find anything.

SD
Old 08-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Thanks for posting this, Sailtones. It's a great example of how things can go from fun to horror in such a short period of time. Good recovery! Did the rock cause much damage to the port stern quarter?

For many years, FLYING magazine has published a series of articles called "I Learned About Flying From That." In it, pilots wrote of their first hand experiences in flying that caused them alarm, put them at risk and (obviously) they survived. Some of it is pilot error, some caused by mechanical failures, some is just dumb luck. But all of it presented in its first person perspective provides more than just a "There I Was" story...it's a story of what led up to the incident, what it felt like during the event and what they learned that could prevent recurring events like this or mitigate the risks next time.

Posts like yours contribute to the lessons the rest of us can learn 2nd hand which is a lot less terrorizing (and expensive) than learning it first hand. Maybe we need to start a thread entitled "I Learned About Boating From That."

Glad it's not just me, SD. I can't see any pics either. I was starting to think I was losing it.

OK...where's the beef, Sailtones?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
In a perfect world we try to imagine every surrounding feature which could imperil.

Friends tied up at high tide fore and aft between two timber poles near a popular boat marina not far from Sydney.The tide ebbed. Between the two poles was the remains of a third, well underwater at high tide but not at low, which penetrated the hull. Boat was on the hard for weeks for post salvage repairs.
Expect the unexpected.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
I can't find the diagrams. I looked at the blog spot but can't seem to find anything.

SD
Sometimes images fail to load for individuals due to "page load speeds" sometimes dependent upon time of day. If I handed this off to my 12 year old kid he could explain the technical reason for it better than that but he's sleeping over at a friends house.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I can't see any pics either. I was starting to think I was losing it.
Not sure why people cant see the images so I have posted the story on our blog.

http://marine-trader-trawler-nostra-....blogspot.com/
Old 08-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Did the rock cause much damage to the port stern quarter?
After getting away from the shore line, I immediately went over the side to take a look.

Right on the corner where the transom meets hull chine, it has been ground down by maybe an inch deep and 3 or four across.
So lucky that it was the toughest corner of the boat on the rock.

I cant see any glass, only resin, so have decided to leave it for the winter haul out.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 08-31-2013, 02:24 AM   #12
TF Site Team

I guess if it worried you you could press a layer of the quick underwater setting epoxy stick stuff (called Knead it over here) over it until the haul out. But actually, that may not be all that far off, I just remembered we are heading into summer, so you poor guys are ...not...
Old 08-31-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Can anyone besides sailtones see the pics on this thread or on his blog? On the blog, all I see are squares in place of actual pics.
Attached Thumbnails
crop.jpg  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Can anyone besides sailtones see the pics on this thread or on his blog? On the blog, all I see are squares in place of actual pics.
Same thing for me, no photos........
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:31 PM   #15
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Nice job of keeping your cool and reacting to a bad situation in a good way. Many would have panicked and we all know what happens then!
Old 09-01-2013, 12:19 AM   #16
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Pics show ok here. PC using Firefox. Except for being upside down, of course.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I'm using a PC using Firefox, and I don't get pictures for the Aug. 30 write-up. I do get pictures, however, on the earlier postings on the blog.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Here ya go Al
Attached Thumbnails
image-1492900458.jpg   image-3188072239.jpg   image-371789362.jpg   image-171100266.jpg   image-1943165428.jpg  

image-2796179427.jpg  

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 09-01-2013, 04:07 AM   #19
TF Site Team

I could see all the illustrations from the get-go, and I'm using MacBook with Safari at present, tho used to use Firefox. What did you just do to reveal all to those who could not see them, Craig..?
Old 09-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
What did you just do to reveal all to those who could not see them, Craig..?
Went to his blog and copied the images to my iPhone. Loaded them to the forum through the app. Direct upload is always most reliable way to share images.

I chalked it up to slow page loads when Skipperdude had trouble in Alaska, but when I saw many folks having trouble felt it prudent to copy directly from his blog to my device then direct upload them.