TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Here ya go Al

Thanks, Craig! You're swell!

It's official!!! You are now my FAVORITE Site Team Member/Moderator!! Congratulations!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Tivat
Vessel Name: Nostra Signora
Vessel Model: Marine Trader CHB 34DC
Quote:
Went to his blog and copied the images to my iPhone. Loaded them to the forum through the app. Direct upload is always most reliable way to share images.

I chalked it up to slow page loads when Skipperdude had trouble in Alaska, but when I saw many folks having trouble felt it prudent to copy directly from his blog to my device then direct upload them.

so how do I add images here from the pc?

I upload the photos, then paste the url, is that not the way?

Old 09-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #23
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailtones View Post
so how do I add images here from the pc?

I upload the photos, then paste the url, is that not the way?
You can do it that way but the third party url will not always load reliably. In this particular case it did not load for many of the viewers.

Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Set up your account | Help, Tips, etc

The above post is the most reliable way to load from a computer. The accompanying thread is a fantastic tutorial for the forum software. In the iPhone/iPad/Android apps click on the plus sign in the upper right corner of the screen to upload photo's directly from your device following the prompts.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Quote:
The above post is the most reliable way to load from a computer. The accompanying thread is a fantastic tutorial for the forum software. In the iPhone/iPad/Android apps click on the plus sign in the upper right corner of the screen to upload photo's directly from your device following the prompts.

This is a test!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ver01.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	22596   Click image for larger version

Name:	ver02.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	22597   Click image for larger version

Name:	ver03.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	22598   Click image for larger version

Name:	ver04.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	22599   Click image for larger version

Name:	ver05.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	22600  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130830_133402.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	22601  
Old 09-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Quote:

This is a test!
Woohoo! that is so much easier!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #26
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Woohoo! that is so much easier!
Sailtones...what do you think would have happened if you had released the port stern line instead of the stbd one? Assuming you could keep some tesion on the anchor line...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Sailtones...what do you think would have happened if you had released the port stern line instead of the stbd one? Assuming you could keep some tesion on the anchor line...
There was some tension on the anchor, although I could 'drag it' with the windlass.
If I had let got the port line, I would not have been able to use the sbt line with a spring effect to get the boat off the rock. I had a nice angle on the port line that straightened out to create distance between the boat and the rock once the stb line was free.

When I cut the port line at the end, we swung around and missed the rocks by a foot or two, had the stb line been the last one to go, we would have been that little bit closer to the rocks and may have hit. My main worry was the port rudder.
But you never know, we might have missed.....it all happened pretty fast in the end so I cant be sure.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #28
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Maybe I missed it in your blog spot or posting, but what anchor type and weight did you use and was it a rope or chain rode?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Maybe I missed it in your blog spot or posting, but what anchor type and weight did you use and was it a rope or chain rode?
20kg stainless bruce with all chain. Bottom was shale....very poor holding!
Old 09-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
There was some tension on the anchor, although I could 'drag it' with the windlass.
If I had let got the port line, I would not have been able to use the sbt line with a spring effect to get the boat off the rock. I had a nice angle on the port line that straightened out to create distance between the boat and the rock once the stb line was free.

When I cut the port line at the end, we swung around and missed the rocks by a foot or two, had the stb line been the last one to go, we would have been that little bit closer to the rocks and may have hit. My main worry was the port rudder.
But you never know, we might have missed.....it all happened pretty fast in the end so I cant be sure.
Having been in similar situations...from the diagram letting go of the port may have swung you out faster specially had both line been under a lot of tension (good power on)...but I wasn't there and it's hard to tell from the diagrams...but if they are accurate...my experience would have been on letting go the port first..the boat should have quick pivoted...tension on the anchor line would have accelerated the pivot.

Again just something to think about ....as every time/boat is a little different and you were successful...
Old 09-03-2013, 03:46 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Quote:
Having been in similar situations...from the diagram letting go of the port may have swung you out faster specially had both line been under a lot of tension (good power on)...but I wasn't there and it's hard to tell from the diagrams...but if they are accurate...my experience would have been on letting go the port first..the boat should have quick pivoted...tension on the anchor line would have accelerated the pivot.

Again just something to think about ....as every time/boat is a little different and you were successful...
Thanks for the thoughts.

I understand the way you are looking at it, but with 35 knots holding me on to the rock, plus increasing chop, the only way I could get off the rock in order to provide the required pivot room, was to use the port line as a spring. If the rock was not there, then yes I could have done it the other way around for sure, but the physical barrier of the rock simply did not allow me to pivot on the stb line.

The physics of the port line goes like this - as the boat comes ahead on the port line, it straightens it in relation to the transom, changing the 45 degree angle to 90 degrees, forcing the stern to stb, which it did, thus creating room between the boat and the rock, which then allowed me to swing to the poorly holding anchor after I cut the port line.

But thanks again for the input, nice to see others thinking about the situation and how to get out of it.

Maybe we should start a thread titled something like, 'how would you get out of this situation'.....?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts.

I understand the way you are looking at it, but with 35 knots holding me on to the rock, plus increasing chop, the only way I could get off the rock in order to provide the required pivot room, was to use the port line as a spring. If the rock was not there, then yes I could have done it the other way around for sure, but the physical barrier of the rock simply did not allow me to pivot on the stb line.

The physics of the port line goes like this - as the boat comes ahead on the port line, it straightens it in relation to the transom, changing the 45 degree angle to 90 degrees, forcing the stern to stb, which it did, thus creating room between the boat and the rock, which then allowed me to swing to the poorly holding anchor after I cut the port line.

But thanks again for the input, nice to see others thinking about the situation and how to get out of it.

Maybe we should start a thread titled something like, 'how would you get out of this situation'.....?
Kinda thought this thread was started as one of those "this is what happened to me...this is what I did posts"

So I was just pondering...if you had applied thrust with the rudders hard to starboard or even straight...say half throttle..may be more and cut the port line while applying windlass pressure....

The boat would have immediately surged forward while pivoting to starboard around the starboard stern cleat. As the pivot developed, the engine thrust would have been directed towards the rocks and the boat pushed away as the windlass was further used to help pull of just take up the slack.

But I wasn't there and cutting/relasing the starboard and going ahead hoping the angle and thrust would overcome the wind did work. If it had been 10 more knots of wind though...would it have?

I'm pretty sure releasing the port would have been the safer bet if you weren't sure you had the power or if it were a single engine situation...but I certainly see your logic and am happy it worked for you.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Quote:
Kinda thought this thread was started as one of those "this is what happened to me...this is what I did posts"

So I was just pondering...if you had applied thrust with the rudders hard to starboard or even straight...say half throttle..may be more and cut the port line while applying windlass pressure....

The boat would have immediately surged forward while pivoting to starboard around the starboard stern cleat. As the pivot developed, the engine thrust would have been directed towards the rocks and the boat pushed away as the windlass was further used to help pull of just take up the slack.

But I wasn't there and cutting/relasing the starboard and going ahead hoping the angle and thrust would overcome the wind did work. If it had been 10 more knots of wind though...would it have?

I'm pretty sure releasing the port would have been the safer bet if you weren't sure you had the power or if it were a single engine situation...but I certainly see your logic and am happy it worked for you.
Problem is I was hard up against a rock, so there was no pivot room until I created it in the way I did by springing with the port line.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Problem is I was hard up against a rock, so there was no pivot room until I created it in the way I did by springing with the port line.

Certainly does bring to mind the old saying of "caught between a rock and a hard place." :-)

Monday morning quarterbacking is always interesting to discuss, but you and the boat are OK, which is the bottom line. Using that rationale, you did exactly the right thing.

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #35
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Getting chased out of a bad anchorage is always a risk and often a sure thing. Two years ago we got chased out of anchorage near Kitimat - obviously as a result of my wife's question as to what would happen if the wind shifted to the NE. I said it wasn't forecast, but true to her worries it indeed did. A 2 AM fire drill for all crew and guests ensued.

Normally, with a "right size by the charts" anchor, a stern or Med tie will not hold as the wind builds and shifts to abeam. Bigger is better.

All in all, you did well and at least avoided having psneeld's Med twin show up to pull you off the rocks. Thanks for the timely post, nice to hear a real story and not some re-hash of Manson vs Bruce vs Rocna.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Near Nashville
Vessel Name: No name either
Vessel Model: No boat yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I'm using a PC using Firefox, and I don't get pictures for the Aug. 30 write-up. I do get pictures, however, on the earlier postings on the blog.
Same here.
I'm on a Mac using Firefox.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
All in all, you did well and at least avoided having psneeld's Med twin show up to pull you off the rocks.
I would have done anything for a tow at the time!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Based again on my experience with salvage and towing....you might have pivoted right away from the rocks using my suggestion (again...sometimes the difference between one route and another is a hairline and I just want people to see the other possibility).

With my suggestion..you could have put the port engine in neutral and still pivoted...reducing the possibility of prop damage on that side to the rocks. Either one engine or two the pivot should have started immediately swinging both sets of underwater gear away from the rocks.

Neither solution necessarily goes the way you want it to and you don't know till you try...

Your's did and I'd love to know if mine would have worked also...again..nice job...it worked but there may have been another possibility that would have been the answer if the winds were even stronger and sacrificing the port running gear was in the cards.

Just food for the masses to ponder.