Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #1
Member
 
City: Portland, OR
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Serendipity
Vessel Model: 1977 37' Puget Trawler
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 20
Neah Bay to Astoria Thursday?

Heyya,
We're in Pt Angeles trying to get back to Portland sometime soon. Planning on going to Neah Bay tomorrow (Weds) and leaving Neah Thursday at 10AM for a 803AM slack on the Columbia Bar on Friday morning.

I'm mostly relying on Windy.com and Washington marine forecast. https://a.atmos.washington.edu/data/marine_report.html


What I m not sure of is the easterlies on Thursday night. I was thinking I could run with one foot on the beach for the last half and it would be merely bumpy. BUT.... has anyone run that coast during easterlies? After getting spanked getting here from Friday Harbor today, I've had about enough of getting trashed by chop on the beam.


So I am doubting myself and asking the forum for a reality check. Crazy? Not much else looks good out on the weather horizons and its getting late in the year......


Wayne & Dana
__________________
Advertisement

WayneDana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:59 PM   #2
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,403
Can't answer your question but it took me a while to learn that you don't always have to drive in a straight line. Sometimes it's better to zig a little out of your way for a better line with the conditions, then zag back toward your destination.
__________________

__________________
My boat is my ark. It's my mobile treehouse and my floating fishing cabin. It's my retreat and my respite. Everyday I thank God I have a boat! -Al

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:19 PM   #3
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,138
Wayne
After checking my normal weather resources for the journey you're planning, it looks pretty tough to give strong thumbs up. Currently strong NW winds and 10 to 15 foot seas offshore. Easing a bit Thursday but with potentially strong SE winds opposing NW seas. Then Saturday looks tough again with winds building from NW.

Suggest you check in with Alaska Seaduction. Tom has your route and weather planning well established.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:25 PM   #4
Guru
 
78puget-trawler's Avatar
 
City: LaConner
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,105
I think you already have your answer, your doubt is obvious. Reconsider, wait for a better outlook.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:21 AM   #5
Guru
 
IRENE's Avatar
 
City: Port Angeles, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irene
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 749
If you decide to leave your boat in Port Angeles, I will be happy to keep an eye on things frequently and economically (FREE!). If you need anything donít hesitate to call me, will PM my phone number.
__________________
Jeff
MV IRENE
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:25 AM   #6
Member
 
City: Portland, OR
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Serendipity
Vessel Model: 1977 37' Puget Trawler
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post

Suggest you check in with Alaska Seaduction. Tom has your route and weather planning well established.

Sent a PM to Tom. Thanks, that was a great idea.
WayneDana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:27 AM   #7
Member
 
City: Portland, OR
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Serendipity
Vessel Model: 1977 37' Puget Trawler
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
If you decide to leave your boat in Port Angeles, I will be happy to keep an eye on things frequently and economically (FREE!). If you need anything donít hesitate to call me, will PM my phone number.

Woulda left it in Friday Harbor, but we live as well as play on our boat. Thanks for the offer though!
WayneDana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:35 AM   #8
Guru
 
City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 631
Getting our typical fall weather along the upper west coast. The waves were smashing in nicely along the water break at French Creek on Vancouver Island today. No boats were coming or going except for the Lasqueti ferry.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDana2 View Post
Heyya,
We're in Pt Angeles trying to get back to Portland sometime soon. Planning on going to Neah Bay tomorrow (Weds) and leaving Neah Thursday at 10AM for a 803AM slack on the Columbia Bar on Friday morning.

I'm mostly relying on Windy.com and Washington marine forecast. https://a.atmos.washington.edu/data/marine_report.html


What I m not sure of is the easterlies on Thursday night. I was thinking I could run with one foot on the beach for the last half and it would be merely bumpy. BUT.... has anyone run that coast during easterlies? After getting spanked getting here from Friday Harbor today, I've had about enough of getting trashed by chop on the beam.


So I am doubting myself and asking the forum for a reality check. Crazy? Not much else looks good out on the weather horizons and its getting late in the year......


Wayne & Dana
Approaching your trip.

I like to break conditions down into their components.

First the wind. I see a max of 14 mph on your trip. Does that wind by itself out of the East worry you?

I'd think you'd be looking at what kind of waves the wind is leading to. That means separating the wind waves from the swells. The wind waves I see are no more than a foot anywhere on your trip near shore, 2' at moderate distance off shore. As you near Astoria you would need to stay relatively close to shore and then you could stay in mild waves. What size are you comfortable with?

Most of the waves you'd encounter are from typical swells. You know your comfort there. 1 to 2' at 7 seconds or so from the NW. Gives you combined waves of 2' with long periods most of the trip, then 3' nearer Astoria mostly from the NW.

Now, I have a couple of questions. First, is why the 10:00 AM start? I suspect to time your Astoria arrival. Personally, I like to start early even if it means I must slow down to time my arrival. It just leaves me more daylight to make additional choices.

Second, have you considered running to Westport on Thursday and then rechecking conditions for a Daytime Friday run to Astoria. Rested, visibility, winds calmer than Thursday overnight and another day to check conditions and make decisions. An early morning start from Westport on either Friday or Saturday is then possible?

Or perhaps Plan A is to run to Astoria overnight, but Plan B is to duck into Westport. Can you make the run from Neah Bay to Westport in daylight hours? Again, that's why I suggest a 7:00 AM start to give you a full day to examine and reevaluate and still have Westport as an escape.

Only you know your comfort in various conditions.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #10
Guru
 
tiltrider1's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,557
The forecast for Sat/Sun. Is so much better. I would not take my chances on Thur/fri. I would play it safe and wait two days. Or plan a stop at Westport knowing the first day is the better half of the run, then reassess.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #11
Guru
 
hollywood8118's Avatar
 
City: Port Townsend Washington
Country: USA
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,768
B&B is right, get a earlier start.. you can always slow down.

Tonight
N wind 5 to 15 kt becoming E after midnight. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. NW swell 5 ft at 9 seconds.

Thu
NE wind 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. W swell 4 ft at 11 seconds.

Thu Night
NE wind 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. SW swell 3 ft at 13 seconds.

Fri
E wind 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft. SW swell 3 ft at 15 seconds.

Fri Night
E wind to 10 kt becoming SE 5 to 15 kt after midnight. Wind waves 2 ft or less. SW swell 2 ft at 15 seconds







If the models hold it looks like a great ride down on Thursday.. I would do it in my O.A.40 without hesitation. Thursday thru Saturday all look good


HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #12
Guru
 
bshillam's Avatar
 
City: Portland, OR
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Nameless
Vessel Model: 22' Sisu
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 618
Agreed, looks very doable. I have ran these conditions on the Columbia.

I like though the suggestion to give yourself more time. You could always have issues along the way and building more time in is great! It gives you more options.
__________________
Highly experienced, positive and motivated helping buyers and sellers navigate the maze of the Real Estate market from start to finish.
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
gsholz's Avatar
 
City: PDX
Country: Northwest
Vessel Model: GB 52 Europa
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 275
I'd not plan an overnight trip close to a very unforgiving shoreline. Last thing you need is catching a crab trap or dead head at 2 am in rough seas. East wind with predominant swell from northwest will make for uncomfortable seas.

This time of the year with a slow boat, I'd break the trip into small segments: Neah Bay to La Push, then to Westport, then to Columbia Bar. Study the La Push and Westport bars if you are not familiar with them. If the weather is better than expected you can always continue on.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #14
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDana2 View Post
Sent a PM to Tom. Thanks, that was a great idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Wayne
After checking my normal weather resources for the journey you're planning, it looks pretty tough to give strong thumbs up. Currently strong NW winds and 10 to 15 foot seas offshore. Easing a bit Thursday but with potentially strong SE winds opposing NW seas. Then Saturday looks tough again with winds building from NW.

Suggest you check in with Alaska Seaduction. Tom has your route and weather planning well established.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
B&B is right, get a earlier start.. you can always slow down.

Tonight
N wind 5 to 15 kt becoming E after midnight. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. NW swell 5 ft at 9 seconds.

Thu
NE wind 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. W swell 4 ft at 11 seconds.

Thu Night
NE wind 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. SW swell 3 ft at 13 seconds.

Fri
E wind 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft. SW swell 3 ft at 15 seconds.

Fri Night
E wind to 10 kt becoming SE 5 to 15 kt after midnight. Wind waves 2 ft or less. SW swell 2 ft at 15 seconds

If the models hold it looks like a great ride down on Thursday.. I would do it in my O.A.40 without hesitation. Thursday thru Saturday all look good


HOLLYWOOD
My apologizes. I didn't see your post until this morning.

Thursday still looks good for me. You will always have a stbd beam or stbd stern seas when travelling south, so it is something you have to live with.

Realize I do the run from Neah Bay to the Columbia River Bar in 12 hours. So I have the ability to do this run in daylight. We travel about 15 miles off shore.

By your post you will be doing an over night. Most importantly is timing the Columbia River Bar. Cross it on a flood. don't worry too much about slack, but if a slack presents it's self by all means take it. We have found crossing a few hours before the switch is good.

Travelling at night presents its own issues, like the ability to see crab traps and trash in the water.

Again, the forecast would be a go for us, buy timing the Columbia Bar the main consideration.

Good luck.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:58 AM   #15
Member
 
City: Portland, OR
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Serendipity
Vessel Model: 1977 37' Puget Trawler
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Approaching your trip.

I like to break conditions down into their components.

First the wind. I see a max of 14 mph on your trip. Does that wind by itself out of the East worry you?


Second, have you considered running to Westport on Thursday and then rechecking conditions for a Daytime Friday run to Astoria. Rested, visibility, winds calmer than Thursday overnight and another day to check conditions and make decisions. An early morning start from Westport on either Friday or Saturday is then possible?

Or perhaps Plan A is to run to Astoria overnight, but Plan B is to duck into Westport. Can you make the run from Neah Bay to Westport in daylight hours? Again, that's why I suggest a 7:00 AM start to give you a full day to examine and reevaluate and still have Westport as an escape.

You hit the nail on the head. Easterly winds (on the beam) don't bother me, its the resulting chop. While not dangerous, it can mingle with existing swells and create very confused seas. I think one foot on the beach after 6pm is the ticket.


It is 14 hours to Westport, which means I enter after dark into the teeth of that wind over the Westport bar. Probably doable, and I can get up to date bar reports from USCG when we get there. That's my bailout for now.

I think you are right about going earlier though. I was timing it, but yeah, slowing down isn't really an issue. I doubt an ebb tide on the bar would be an issue when the swells are running out the bar on the East wind for that matter. Again, I can check on bar conditions when I get closer to decide.



Thanks all for the help!
As an aside, do NOT stay at the Port Angeles Wharf! We had to bail off of it at a little after midnight last night and go to the Boat Haven as the docks at the wharf started jumping up and down 2 feet when the wind shifted. Mr Toad's wild ride.
WayneDana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #16
Guru
 
Crusty Chief's Avatar
 
City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,550
I would hate to do this trip at night, mostly because of the pots and we like to travel about 5 miles offshore. Our travel speed is 7.5 knots. We like La Push over Grays Harbor mostly cuz of the distance in and out, but also because the Grays Harbor bar can be real lumpy if not timed right. As I recall, it takes us about 14 hrs from La Push to Astoria. Pots are less likely out of La Push than Grays, but there everywhere as you approach the Columbia.
Assuming you have done this trip before, the easterlies shouldn’t be A factor provided the wind speed doesn’t increase over current projections.
Good luck and safe travels.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:07 PM   #17
Member
 
City: Portland, OR
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Serendipity
Vessel Model: 1977 37' Puget Trawler
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 20
Okay, leaving Pt Angeles @ 11AM today.
I do wish I could do this all in daylight. Have done over nights 2X on this run in the past and it just is what it is on a 7 knot boat. Usually we go farther out to avoid traps, not a very good option for this trip. Crab season just reopened again too. (Line cutter install on my next haulout? Hmmm....)
WayneDana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #18
DDW
Guru
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 957
I'd second the idea of hitting the Columbia bar on the flood or the tail end of the flood. Any ebb and it will be both rough and very slow. I hit it about 2 hours into the ebb, it was sporty and took a very long time to get up to Astoria.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #19
Guru
 
Crusty Chief's Avatar
 
City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,550
Almost forgot. We have experienced a slowdown when approaching the Grays Harbor area, the current slowed us down 1-2 knots. Give yourself a cushion, you can slowdown to time the Astoria crossing, tough to make up speed if required. At least for us it is.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #20
Member
 
City: Portland, OR
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Serendipity
Vessel Model: 1977 37' Puget Trawler
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
I would hate to do this trip at night, mostly because of the pots and we like to travel about 5 miles offshore. Our travel speed is 7.5 knots. We like La Push over Grays Harbor mostly cuz of the distance in and out, but also because the Grays Harbor bar can be real lumpy if not timed right. As I recall, it takes us about 14 hrs from La Push to Astoria. Pots are less likely out of La Push than Grays, but there everywhere as you approach the Columbia.
Assuming you have done this trip before, the easterlies shouldnít be A factor provided the wind speed doesnít increase over current projections.
Good luck and safe travels.

Looking at it, I'm kinda liking La Push on Thursday and leaving very early on Friday. I will probably do that to keep the travel in darkness to a minimum and to deal with lower winds. Besides, how often does one get to stay in La Push?


I'm well versed at Bar crossings. I have all the good resources and know how to use them.. Healthy respect is Key. I like to arrive at low slack and then ride the flood up river. Makes for a pleasant trip.
__________________

WayneDana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×