Old 10-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #21

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Serendipity
Vessel Model: 1977 37' Puget Trawler
My go-to product for the bar: https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/no...hresholdvalue=

WayneDana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:46 AM   #22
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Try this one too. Just click on the bar you want to look at:

https://www.weather.gov/pqr/barcams

Please keep us posted....

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDana2 View Post

It is 14 hours to Westport, which means I enter after dark into the teeth of that wind over the Westport bar. Probably doable, and I can get up to date bar reports from USCG when we get there. That's my bailout for now.
Then start at 7:00 AM and pick a destination you can make comfortably in 12 hours and run until 7:00 PM. You should have adequate light at both 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM as it's 30 minutes before Sunrise and 30 after Sunset. Perhaps even start a bit earlier. Nautical twilight today there is 6:05 AM to 8:00 PM. We sometimes tend to just look at official Sunrise and Sunset and not take into consideration that we have at least an extra 30-45 minutes of visibility on each end.

La Push sounds good.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
There are some strong to gale force SE swinging to NW offshore winds off southern Vancouver Island for Friday and Saturday. A bit of movement from current GRIB data could roil the waters off northern WA coast. Don't dally.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:13 PM   #25

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Not sure where you are or your boat speed, but as a past delivery skipper who has made this run dozens of times, given what I know right now (I like passageweather.com, but also have subscriptions to many others such as PS and Buoy weather) I would plan Tatoosh to Stbd early Friday and keep going south though seas will be from SW, but on 3-5 foot. Sunday afternoon should see a shift to northerly seas. Junk from Alaska drops in around Friday, so if goal is warm weather, make all the southing you can early in the week. You should have seas on the stern so not a bad ride.

Easy to say for me, but it's my best thinking given the info I have right now. Good luck and stay safe

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:25 PM   #26

Asea state forecasts. Colorful one is noon wednesday. Junk moves in. Light blue is <1m. Next blue is 1-2m. Dark blue 2-3m. Bottom line: if this were a delivery, would want to get south of Cape Mendocino asap or risk getting pinned up north. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191009-191825.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	95126Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191009-191945.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	95127Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191009-192102.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	95128
Old 10-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Not sure where you are or your boat speed, but as a past delivery skipper who has made this run dozens of times, given what I know right now (I like passageweather.com, but also have subscriptions to many others such as PS and Buoy weather) I would plan Tatoosh to Stbd early Friday and keep going south though seas will be from SW, but on 3-5 foot. Sunday afternoon should see a shift to northerly seas. Junk from Alaska drops in around Friday, so if goal is warm weather, make all the southing you can early in the week. You should have seas on the stern so not a bad ride.

Easy to say for me, but it's my best thinking given the info I have right now. Good luck and stay safe

Peter
He's just going Neah Bay to Astoria.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #28

Yep. I stand corrected. I just assumed that at this time of year, he was headed south like many people. But the OP question was indeed Neah Bay to Astoria.

Will be a nice ride. I'd worry less about hitting slack tide and more about not hitting ebb current at/near peak due to knock on speed. Ebb starts about 9am (approx slack) through 3pm (next slack). Columbia Bar will not be difficult at any time from at least 2-hrs before and after. It's a big bar - far from difficult compared to other bars along the coast.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #29

Hook down in Neah Bay after a long sleigh ride with the wind but against the current most of the day. The wife was very happy even though it was a long 54 NM at slow speeds.
Will head to La Push tomorrow. Leisure like. Looks like an easy 40NM day.

Will leave La Push at crack of dawn on Friday and see how far we get. Will try to ride all the way to Astoria even if I have to do a bar crossing at night. Should be able to hit 8:30pm slack and ride the flood in. That way only an hour or so in darkness outside where the crab pots are.

Thanks for all the help Gentlemen! Feeling much better about things tonight. Will comment on this thread from Astoria.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:33 PM   #30
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I've made the Astoria - Neah Bay trip many times, as a fisherman and in my private boats. You get a better ride in 100 fathoms or more. I usually run 25 miles out. Easterlies will decrease the height of the usual NW swell. It looks like under 10kt east wind. If it blows hard from the SW La Push will be closed.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:19 PM   #31

In La Push. What a beautiful day. Clear, light winds, nice views of the Olympics and the coastline. AND only $25 for a slip for the night with power.

Still planning on a 6:00 AM departure and arrive at the Columbia Bar ~10:00PM. On the flood with a 1ft SW swell forecast. Looks like easy money. (Trawlers Forum needs an icon for crossed fingers!)
Old 10-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #32

Rethinking. Going to do Westport tomorrow then into Astoria Saturday morning. Really enjoying the shorter day trips instead of doing the whole thing in 24 hours. Plus the weather is just perfect for a joy ride down the coast.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:02 PM   #33

City: PDX
Vessel Name: Lady Anne
Vessel Model: GB 52 Europa
Good choice! I had to rethink my trips up/down the coast with the new slower boat too. Used to do it in one day from Neah Bay to Ilwaco just across the Columbia bar, now it is 2-3 days.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:12 PM   #34

Docked in Illwaco after a very gentle and fun trip. Good weather and fair seas make a passage much easier. Glad I took the advice and broke it up. The last 2 times we did this we ran it all the way in 21-24 hours.

Headed up the Columbia tomorrow. Will wave at Tom on the way by.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Docked in Illwaco after a very gentle and fun trip. Good weather and fair seas make a passage much easier. Glad I took the advice and broke it up. The last 2 times we did this we ran it all the way in 21-24 hours.

Headed up the Columbia tomorrow. Will wave at Tom on the way by.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Actually, we parked just a few miles from you Tom, at the Columbia River Yacht Club outstation behind Walker Island. Nice and quiet and all to ourselves. Didn't find any Alaskan Amber in Illwaco or I woulda dropped it on your dock. Will have to drop some by sometime this winter.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:44 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Actually, we parked just a few miles from you Tom, at the Columbia River Yacht Club outstation behind Walker Island. Nice and quiet and all to ourselves. Didn't find any Alaskan Amber in Illwaco or I woulda dropped it on your dock. Will have to drop some by sometime this winter.
We love Walker Island Dock. You are welcome anytime!

We have also started anchoring behind Tongue Point in Lois Island Bay when we have done the long trip.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:19 AM   #38
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Glad to hear you had a nice trip down south. How was La Push? We really enjoyed that little town.
AA is a bit hard to find in Portland, especially in quantity, cuz that Tom will put it away! LOL
And where are you mooring your boat for the winter?
Cheers
Crusty Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Glad to hear you had a nice trip down south. How was La Push? We really enjoyed that little town.
AA is a bit hard to find in Portland, especially in quantity, cuz that Tom will put it away! LOL
And where are you mooring your boat for the winter?
Cheers

Surprisingly really enjoyed La Push. Not the "town" or the marina, (I am amazed that you can get your boat in there!) but the scenery and the people we met. Photo gallery at GalleyWenchTales.com which is the wife's travel blog.

We'll be in Jantzen Bay. I need a covered slip to overhaul the upper decking teak over the winter. I was supposed to have it done this summer but.... You know how it goes. Replacing all the plugs and God knows how many feet of caulking should keep me busy at least.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #40
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Wayne and Dana, I got a kick out of the title of your blog. Galley Wench has been my wife Tina's nickname for many years. People who we have just met are surprised to hear me refer to her as my Galley Wench. If only they knew it was her choice of a nickname.

Enjoyed your blog, thanks for the beautiful photos and narrative. Safe Travels.