Old 10-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #1
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
Navionics+ Update Issues

Recently bought the Navionics+ update to the Silver charts that came with the chart plotter. We are planning to do the Great Loop next year so I bought the US & Canada charts. I was totally surprised when I realized that even though I bought US & Canada, I could only download a very small part of that area at one time. The download will only work with a 2GB chip and these charts are so large that I could only fit the Gulf Coast and FL on the chip. Never mind the Sonar Charts, they are even bigger. So to do the Loop, or even just back up to Maine from TX, would require that I download new chart sections repeatedly, and at marina WI-FI speeds that takes forever, sometimes longer. And then on the return trip, redownload the charts to get back to TX.
While they do mention the 2GB limit at the bottom of the Navionics+ section of their web site, even if I had noticed that at the time of purchase, I would not have realized the actual limitation of that size chip with the Navionics+ charts. So now I am extremely sorry that I did not just pay another $100 and buy the Gold charts.
If your cruising is limited to a limited area, Gulf Coast, FL, Chesapeake, then the Navionics+ might be good deal. For extended cruising it’s not the way to go, in my opinion.

Just a heads up,

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #2

City: Cruising Florida and Bahamas
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Model: Tiara 53 Fly
We are planning to do the Loop next year as well and I ordered a Gold chart last week. Still running Raymarine E 120 classics. Hoping the Gold chart will be enough detail. Will see once received and booted up......
sum escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by sum escape View Post
We are planning to do the Loop next year as well and I ordered a Gold chart last week. Still running Raymarine E 120 classics. Hoping the Gold chart will be enough detail. Will see once received and booted up......
We're leaving next year as well,I run an E120 as a backup.
Please report back how you make out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #4

City: Cruising Florida and Bahamas
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Model: Tiara 53 Fly
A quick look at the Illinois River, Sarasota FL and Bahamas looks pretty detailed. I think the Gold is going to be fine. Too busy putting boat in warm storage to dig further. Will dig around further once I start my winter punch list and need a short break some Saturday!
sum escape is offline   Reply With Quote