Old 09-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #1

City: Tellico Marina, Maryville, TN
Vessel Name: Twilight Time
Vessel Model: 1986 48' Californian MY
Nashville to Knoxville

Three years ago my wife and I purchased a 48' Californian MY to use as a condo and do some cruising on Old Hickory Lake. The plan worked to perfection and we have had many wonderful times on board her in the Nashville area. The time has now come for us to move TWILiGHT TIME to her new home on Tellico Lake 30 miles south of Knoxville where we live. We will be departing on 10/1 from Blue Turtle Bay marina for the 800 mile trip with 15 travel days planned. I am sure we will meet up with lots of Loopers once we pass Green Turtle Bay and enter Kentucky Lake and head upriver on the Tennessee River. We will try to give a daily report on our progress and look forward to your comments.
Tellico Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
We're at Clarksville now, headed for Cedar Creek Yacht Club on Old Hickory. We actually tried to get a slip at Blue Turtle but the were full. We'll go from Old Hickory to Rock Harbor on October 2. We'll spend a couple of weeks there, then go to Pickwick Lake for the winter.

Perhaps we'll be in the same place at the same time. If so, let's connect.

Paul
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:12 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Love that entire area. We had to end our cruise this year in Nashville and had a crew take out boat back to Pickwick. However, at least we've cruised the entire area.

At least the Wilson Lock work is done so you don't have to clear it at night now like we did.

You'll be seeing some of the beautiful fall colors. We may still make a trip there this fall for just a few days, although doesn't seem likely.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #4

Paul, Sorry we won't get a chance to meet. We will be a day ahead of you and will be at Commodore Yacht Club Sunday night and off to Clarksville Marina the next morning. To bad you couldn't get in to Blue Turtle Bay you would have enjoyed "Sams in the Cove". A great sports bar in the Marina but not owned by the marina. Cedar Creek is very nice but too far out. We looked there before settling on BTB. By any chance did I see your boat tied up at the dock at Tellico Marina a couple weeks ago. There was a Marine Trader 44 and a Defever 50 there for one night. Where will you be staying in Pickwick and are you having work done at Rock Harbor. Rock Harbor is the only full service marina on the river until you get to Green Turtle Bay. There is an old travel lift at Drake's Creek but I would not trust them to lift my boat. Have a great trip and safe travels.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellico Bob View Post
Paul, Sorry we won't get a chance to meet. We will be a day ahead of you and will be at Commodore Yacht Club Sunday night and off to Clarksville Marina the next morning. To bad you couldn't get in to Blue Turtle Bay you would have enjoyed "Sams in the Cove". A great sports bar in the Marina but not owned by the marina. Cedar Creek is very nice but too far out. We looked there before settling on BTB. By any chance did I see your boat tied up at the dock at Tellico Marina a couple weeks ago. There was a Marine Trader 44 and a Defever 50 there for one night. Where will you be staying in Pickwick and are you having work done at Rock Harbor. Rock Harbor is the only full service marina on the river until you get to Green Turtle Bay. There is an old travel lift at Drake's Creek but I would not trust them to lift my boat. Have a great trip and safe travels.
Wifey B: The two stops we didn't make it too due to hurricane interruption were Blue Turtle and Defeated Creek.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Wasn't us at Tellico. We haven't made it that far yet, but plan to next year. We'll spend the winter at Aqua Yacht Harbor. We spent a month there this summer, and really liked it. We're at Rock Harbor as a stopover. We have to leave for a couple of weeks to attend to business. When we return mid October we'll explore around here for a while, then work our way back to Pickwick.

When you go to Clarksville, keep the No Wake bouy close on your starboard side (really close). It's pretty shallow away from center channel.

Where do you plan to stop after Clarksville?
Old 09-27-2017, 09:26 AM   #7

Paul, Thanks for the tip going into Clarksville Marina. I don't need to start the trip off by going aground on the second day. After Clarksville we will be at Barkley State Park and then a long, 77 mile run to Paris Landing. From there it is Cuba landing Marina, Clifton Marina and then Pickwick. After Pickwick on to Florence Harbor Marina where we will stop for at lease one day to rest up. If you get to Tellico next summer please let us know. We live next to the marina and think Tellico Lake is one of the best keep secrets on the TVA waters.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Hi TB ,
We stayed at Barkley State Park back in June . It's a long and winding channel to get to the Marina but nice setting. They will ask for proof of insurance. I didn't have mine on the boat and had to get it faxed from insurance company. No big deal , we just don't get very far from home and have never been asked before . It was a little buggy and we saw a few snakes but other than that is was nice . Hope to see you at Paris Landing .
Old 09-28-2017, 05:46 AM   #9

Thanks Marty, I had forgotten about the insurance issue. It has been 10 years since we have been there and maybe that is the reason I keep an insurance card on board. Should be at Paris Landing on the 10/4.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #10

Sunday 10/1/17.
We had hopes of an early start but after talking to the lock master on Saturday evening I had a bad feeling that we may be delayed. Sure enough an 8 o’clock phone call told me we would not be able to lock through until at least 10:30. Another call at 10:00 informed me it would now be 12:30. So we cut our lines and pulled away from the marina that had been our home for the last three years and headed for the Old Hickory Lock about two miles away. The trip down in the lock was uneventful and we headed down river at 1:30, 4 hours later then planned. With 47 miles to our first stop and the sun in the west it was going to be a long afternoon. We passed Nashville around 4 and you could hear the music coming from the bars on Broadway. Since the Titans were not playing at home today there were all kinds of docks available if you wanted to enjoy the world of Country music. Nashville is the friendliest city you will ever visit. We found the narrow channel going into the Commodore Yacht Club with the Sun setting right in my face I kept one eye on the sonar and one on the channel. We noticed that TVA had lowered the river level about 3 ft and at one point I had less than 1’ under my props. Made it in to the basin, found our dock and called it a night.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Sunday 10/1/17.
We had hopes of an early start but after talking to the lock master on Saturday evening I had a bad feeling that we may be delayed. Sure enough an 8 o’clock phone call told me we would not be able to lock through until at least 10:30. Another call at 10:00 informed me it would now be 12:30. So we cut our lines and pulled away from the marina that had been our home for the last three years and headed for the Old Hickory Lock about two miles away. The trip down in the lock was uneventful and we headed down river at 1:30, 4 hours later then planned. With 47 miles to our first stop and the sun in the west it was going to be a long afternoon. We passed Nashville around 4 and you could hear the music coming from the bars on Broadway. Since the Titans were not playing at home today there were all kinds of docks available if you wanted to enjoy the world of Country music. Nashville is the friendliest city you will ever visit. We found the narrow channel going into the Commodore Yacht Club with the Sun setting right in my face I kept one eye on the sonar and one on the channel. We noticed that TVA had lowered the river level about 3 ft and at one point I had less than 1’ under my props. Made it in to the basin, found our dock and called it a night.
We did the trip from Old Hickory Lake to Rock Harbor last week. We were delayed at the lock, too. When we got to Rock Harbor, the channel was less than five feet. That sure focuses your attention!!

We plan to leave Nashville on the 15th and make the trip back to Pickwick Lake for the winter.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #12

Monday 10/2/17.
We had a quite night and got an early start. As we went out the channel to the Cumberland I saw -.9’ on my screen and then felt us slide through the mud into deeper water. Right, back to positive `numbers and on our way to the Cheatham Lock 20 miles away. A call to the lock master told me there were two tows ahead of me. We ended up having to kill about 45 minutes before we could lock down and finish our 45 mile run. We are now in Barkley Lake and the scenery is beautiful. We have left behind the industrial area around Nashville and find ourselves cruising through a very rural area as we head for Clarksville, TN. We passed a tow going up river with 4 full barges and we passed one of the tows that held us up pushing 15 empty barges at about 9 mph just before we reached our marina for the night. Clarksville Marina is owned by the same group that owns Blue Turtle Bay Marina where we started from. That is where the similarities end. As we approached the marina, Rick the Harbor Master was in contact with us and met us at the dock to help us tie up. The marina is only a few years old and in excellent shape. There is a good restaurant on the property and with the excellent transient docks and adding Rick to the equation I would give it 5 stars.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:54 AM   #13
Guru

If you have time, I recommend a stop at Prizer Point. The marina is pretty good, bit the cove it's in is beautiful.

Paul
Old 10-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #14

Thanks Paul but by the time I saw your note we were already to Paris Landing.
Bob
Old 10-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #15

Tuesday 10/3/17 Travel Day #3
We met some great people here at the Clarksville Marina. Liquid Asset was a boat we knew from Old Hickory Lake. They were headed to Blue Turtle Bay to have a bottom job and left about the same time we did. We were headed to Barkley State Park Marina, a place we had stayed at 10 years ago when we were traveling in a 1926, 26’ triple cockpit Chris Craft. This trip was very pleasant with beautiful scenery and not much traffic. Not far down river from the City of Clarksville are several barge terminals. It makes you realize what an important roll the barge traffic plays on our inland water ways. A standard barge loaded with coal takes 100 trucks off the highway. A standard tow of six barges moving from the Ohio River terminal eliminates 600 trucks and moves the coal for a fraction of the cost compared to the cost of trucking. The tow captains are always friendly and willing to help you get by. Last spring the captain of the tug Charlie Everheart slowed down for me to pass him and let me get to the locks first so I wouldn’t have to wait three hours for him to lock up. I can’t say enough about the wonders of traveling the Cumberland and Tennessee rivers. We soon approached the channel leading into Barkley Marina and I had forgotten how long, narrow and winding it was but we made it to the marina about 2:00 and went to the fuel dock. Because the diesel nozzles have an over size fill pipe they would not fit into my tank deck fitting I gave up trying to fuel after and hour and a half and only took on 150 gals. No big deal. with a burn rate of less than 1 gpm, I was in good shape. Moved to our assigned transient dock for the night and called a day.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:15 PM   #16
Guru

Tellico Bob

So, are you ready for the rain from Sunday through Thursday? Not that any of us have a complaint when the gulf coast is having to brace and evacuate.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #17

yes, we are going forty miles tomorrow and then hunker down until it is over. Thanks for asking. We will stop at Clifton Marina for two to three days.
Bob
Old 10-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #18

Wednesday 10/4/17 Travel Day #4
Eight AM start with seventy miles ahead of us today. It took a half hour to travel the channel back to the main channel but we were soon our way. We had thirty miles to travel on the Cumberland River before crossing over to the Tennessee River. We had been going down river for three plus days with green to starboard and when we entered the TN we would be going up river with red to starboard. The two rivers are only a mile apart at one place and instead of having to go all the way to the Ohio River there is a one mile long canal on grade connecting them. As we entered the TN/Kentucky Lake I had forgotten how big and beautiful it was. We had forty miles to travel to Paris Landing Marina where we would spend the night. The states of TN and KY have built a number of first class resorts and marinas along the rivers. Some include golf courses and they are a great value with cabins, camp sites and a large hotel. The marina has a number of seventy ft slips plus the main slip that is at least 150 ft long for transients. They give a discount for Boat US as did Clarksville. Very friendly Harbor Master who offered to stay late if we were not going to be there by closing time. They have a free shuttle to the hotel if you want to go for dinner or use the pool. I give this place five stars.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:27 PM   #19
Guru

The Kentucky and Tennessee State Parks are exceptional.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:27 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
We are at Paris Landing tonight but have to leave early am . Might be back Sunday afternoon. Let us know if you're here .