Nashville to Knoxville

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The loopers are going to have some long days getting through Wilson Lock when they leave. At least going the way they'll be going there is Florence Harbour after. When we went through the other way, heading to Knoxville last spring, we got through in the middle of the night. I think around 2:00 AM and we anchored in the Wilson Dam Anchorage until morning.

It's a small disturbance but nothing serious. Just have to plan accordingly and every night I saw they caught up with anyone there by 4 or 5 pm. I did see a late night arrival one night have to wait another day.

When we came up through Wilson Lock in June, We stayed at Florence Marina and went through EARLY.... That worked out best for us as there aren't many good anchorages on Wilson Lake.

When we were there, that system worked some days and not others as there were days when you didn't get through just showing up early morning. Or did you get in the queue prior to that?

Wm, We will be stopping the night of the 16th at Island Cove Marina. Island Cove is just above the Chickamauga lock and dam. Great marina. Maybe we can meet up.

Wednesday 10/11/17 Travel Day 9

The word on the dock was that as of 6:30am Wilson was not going to be locking any boat through today. While in the Harbor Masters office I hear the Wilson Lock Master talking to a boat that wanted to lock down and that she was ready for them. I called the lock, verified that they were open for business. A quick trip to Publixs and we were off the dock by Ten. It is only a short trip up the canal to the lock and it opened soon after we arrived. The lock is 600 x 110 and has a 94 ft lift making it the lock with the greatest lift on the TVA system I knew there was a boat in the chamber but it was hard to see him when the gates opened. We entered the lock and started up but because of the height it takes a while. The other thing that is unique about this lock is that instead a set of gates that swing open at the top the single gate including the walkway drops down under the water and you drive over it. We were soon on our way to the Joe Wheeler lock about 15 miles away when the port engine alarm sounded and a quick look at the gauges told me we were over heated. I turn the engine off and went below to check and found antifreeze sprayed around on everything. Nothing could be don’t at the moment so we proceeded on one engine through the Joe Wheeler Lock and on to Bay Hill Marina for the night. Bay Hill Marina is trying to change its name to Lucy’s Branch but since they still answer the phone “Bay Hill Marina” I am not sure what they are doing. Tomorrow we will address our problem.

Their website is Lucy's Branch.

It wasn't time for the closure of Wilson yet. It's the 16th. They locked both recreational and barges through during the day today. Word on the dock was like a game of pass it around where it ended up with a small bit of truth only.

As someone now living in FL it was nice to see Publix around Florence. Did you go to the one in Florence or the one in Muscle Shoals?

Sorry for your antifreeze bath. At least you made it through Wheeler Lock and to a marina.

We never have been to Lucy's Branch. We'll wait to hear your thoughts.

Thursday 10/11/17 Lay Day

Once into the marina I ask “since you are a full service marina” do you have a mechanic who is diesel qualify? Yes we do and he soon showed up at our boat. A quick survey by “qualified mechanic” told me he was not my guy. So what else is new. We had lost all our coolant and did not know where the leak was. Checked all hoses on the engine and nothing was obvious so with the coolant on hand and distilled water I stated to refill the engine. Three gallons later I new I wasn’t close to being full so I shut down for the night. Since I have been cruising for over sixty years I have learned that you meet some of the best people that live on this planet out on the dock. As I walked down the dock early in the morning I met John Pierson just arriving to do some odd jobs on his boat and he just said “HI how are you today”. Well one thing led to another and the next thing I knew John was driving me to O’Reilly’s auto mart to pick up antifreeze and distilled water. Kim who I had talked to saw me walk through the door and just knew I wasn’t local and that I must be the guy who called about heavy duty antifreeze. The next thing I knew a guy standing next to me said he was full up today but if I still need help tonight to give him a call. He was the local guru on Cat 3208 diesels. Back to the boat and with in an hour I found the leak, fixed it and had time to clean up before lunch. The only reason it took to noon to fix the leak is that it takes a long time to pour ten gallons of coolant into the engine. We could have left and made it to our next marina except we needed a pump out and so what can I say. Two hours later, not pumped out and no one knew why the pump out unit wasn’t working today, too late to head out on a forty-five run so we paid for another night. I think this marina has great potential but they seem to be chasing business away faster than new customer can come through the door. The owner has no previous marina experience and I saw no sign that anyone else on the payroll did either. They had no idea how to tie up a boat to a dock. When trying to give instructions from the bridge I may have well been speaking a different language. The gas dock has no water available to be used when pumping out or to wash down if needed. Most of the docks are empty and the few boats still there show no sign that anyone cares. So the best I can give them is a 1 out of 5.

Friday 10/13/17 Travel Day 10

We were off the dock by 8:30, a half hour later then we wanted but when you have a full holding tank some things just take longer. A beautiful day with clear sky and no wind. Are next stop would be Ditto Landing Marina in Huntsville Al. I never would have guest at the amount on industry located along the river. Barges by the hundreds, both full, waiting to be off loaded and empties waiting to go back down river to be refilled. We did pass one fifteen barge tow, some empty and some full heading down river. Three of the barges were full of scrap metal and others were covered so no way of telling what they were carrying. At one point we came to a railroad lift bridge that we could not pass under. A quick call to the bridge operator on channel 13 and a fast response that he saw us and would raise the bridge as soon as the train traveling across it was clear. The rest of the trip was uneventful and by three we were at the gas dock. Ditto Landing offers free transcendent dockage if you buy 100 gals of fuel, so even if I didn’t need fuel I can always put on 100 gallons to save fifty bucks. Having radioed the marina on 16 I knew they would meet us at the fuel dock.. Markus met us and took over the pump out project and started the fueling . What a difference a day makes. After finishing the pump out and fueling we went to our slip and took care of some housekeeping chores.

Wm, We will be stopping the night of the 16th at Island Cove Marina. Island Cove is just above the Chickamauga lock and dam. Great marina. Maybe we can meet up.

We may not make it that far down tomorrow. But may meet you somewhere as you head North and we head South.

Safe travels,

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40

Fixin to head South

Wm., We will be staying at Terrace View on Tuesday and then make the 77 mile run home on Wednesday to Tellico. Keep in touch.

Bob

Saturday 10/14/17 Travel Day 11

We got a good start on the day and pulled away from the dock 8:15. Ditto Landing is right off the River so your back on the main channel within minutes. We had 15 miles to the dam and another 30 miles after our lift up. Even before we left the marina I noticed a high number of Bass boats being launched. Yes this could have been a normal Saturday occurrence but I think not. Bass Tournament, prize money and you would not believe there there were this many Bass Boats in the world. For the next seven hours we saw hundreds of people fishing away and hoping for that big prize. I called the Lock Master and found out there was no commercial traffic so the gates were open when we arrived. From the time we motored into the chamber to the time we motored out was under twenty minutes. Some kind of record. I called up to the lock master that we were secured and looked back to see the gates were already closed. I have been really enjoying the last few days because the only part of the Tennessee River we have not traveled was Pickwick to Nickajack. I had no idea that Gunersville Lake was so beautiful. The only thing that could have made it better would have been a blue sky with lots of sun shine. Even with the clouds it was spectacular. The beautiful homes that lined the broad lakes. The many coves with hidden treasures. Boat house like I have never seen on the TVA waterways before. It reminded me of the Saint Lawrence River or the Adirondack Mountains. Being an old wooden boat guy I could only imagine the treasures they held. My very first cruise on the Tennessee River was in 2007 in my 1926, 26’ triple cockpit Chris Craft from Pickwick to Nashville. I have always wanted to come back to complete this link and if I had known what I had missed I would not have waited ten years. The miles went by too fast and we were soon nearing Goose Pond Marina. There was nothing on my Garmin Chart Plotter that showed Goose Pond. My old 2007 version chart book did show the marina but no channel info. We did find the correct channel after going down the wrong one. They are only a quarter mile apart, and very shallow. My sonar is set to tell me the water depth under the keel not the total depth and because of the weed growth I saw way to many negative numbers. I did stir up lots of mud but no bumps off the bottom. Soon we were at the dock and greeted by marina personal that knew what they were doing. Goose Pond is a large resort snd I wish I had more time to stay and enjoy all they have to offer but we must leave in the morning.

Island Cove is an interesting marina. I wouldn't say just above the dam. In fact, not being just above is part of it's beauty. Just above you have Chickamauga and Lakeshore and then several more close by plus Chickamauga Beach area and within that first few miles a heavy concentration of the traffic on Chickamauga. It starts to thin by the time you get to Island Cove and above Island Cove you have far easier and calmer boating. Also, at Island Cove, you have Harrison Bay State Park. In summer it has all sorts of amenities and activity.

Terrace View is nice.

We are leaving Terrace View this morning and will probably anchor in the Harrison Bay area for the night. Then we'll see what the situation is with Chicamauga Lock, then on down to Little Cedar Mountain anchorage. We are planning on stopping at Goose Pond to visit friends on Wednesday.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40

We are leaving Terrace View this morning and will probably anchor in the Harrison Bay area for the night. Then we'll see what the situation is with Chicamauga Lock, then on down to Little Cedar Mountain anchorage. We are planning on stopping at Goose Pond to visit friends on Wednesday.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40

How are the leaves? Too early still for full effect of fall?

Sunday 10/15/17 Travel Day 12

Off the dock at 8:30 and out the channel. Again it was very scary to see the depth at -.5’ but when you looked at the screen there was 3 to 4 ft under you to the bottom. The number being displayed was the milfoil growing under us. Most of the day was and an easy cruise with a wide channel and some mountains, spectacular house and a splattering of industry. For maybe twenty miles or more the milfoil was visible on both sides of the channel. At one point I could see the shape of two cooling towers for a nuclear power plan. A little research and it turns out it was the TVA Bellefonte Nuclear Plant that was never finished. I did some more research and the unfinished plant with a license was sold at auction for $111 million after TVA spent $4 billon. If finished it was designed to be one of the largest nuclear plants in the world. Ok so they didn’t need it. Someone over estimated how much power we would need in the future and they were off a little. As I travel up river a few more miles I saw a smoke stack miles away and when I got there I found another TVA power plant in moth balls. This was shut down in September 2015 but the stack remaining is visible for miles. I should be. At 1000 feet high it stands out as one of the highest in the world. At some point we crossed the line from Alabama into Tennessee and we had also crossed over into Eastern Daylight Saving time . The time zone thing had taken place a few miles earlier but Alabama does not want any confusion. So Alabama is only on Central time. They don’t care where the line runs. I called the Lock Master and he was ready for us. I timed the amount of time to raise us forty feet and it was less than fifteen minutes. Out of the chamber with beautiful sunshine and six miles to Hales Bar Marina. Hales Bar was the name of the lock and dam that Nickajack replace. The dam was removed but the old power plant building is part of the marina and is used for small boat winter storage. I was here back in 2008 and nothing has changed. No one meets you at the dock to help tie up. I honestly believe you could come in tie up and leave in the morning and no one would know. I can not give them more than a 2 out of 5. Tomorrow will be an exciting day with traveling through the Grand Canyon of the East and going through Chattanooga on our way to Chickamauga Dam and Lock.

Wm.

Let me know where you anchor and I will give you a toot tomorrow morning on our way out of Harrison Bay.

BandB, Not much color yet.

Monday 10/16/17 Travel day 13

Hit with a big thunder storm about an hour after tying up last night. I always stay outside rather than in a slip just to get a good wash down when it rains. Also less spiders get on your boat. The boat was spotless as we pulled away from the dock at 8:45am EDT.
Much cooler than yesterday as a high came through last night and the temp was was 50* and about a 15 mph wind out of the north. The ride through the canyon was spectacular but there was very little color. We slide past the city dock in Chattanooga and the old stern wheeler where I took my USCG Capt. test and continued up river to the lock. I called ahead and there was no delay with construction today so the gate was open and waiting for us to pull into the chamber. Here is where the good part of today ended as the wind was blowing down into the chamber and would not allow me to get close to the right hand wall where I had to be. I carry my Tide Ride stairs on the port side and can only lock through on my starboard side. Twenty minutes later we finally got a line around the bollard and had the boat secure. What I noticed as we were being raised is the the wall is badly scared both to the left and right of that bollard. We didn’t do and damage but it wasn’t that we didn’t try. As we left the chamber the wind was right on the noise and the waves were a good two to three ft high. Lower Chickamauga Lake is one of the prettier lakes in the TVA system. Because of the strong wind several sailboats were out enjoying the day. It takes about an hour to get to Island Cove from the lock and get to the fuel dock. I called ahead but no one made it to the dock before we arrived. Pretty soon this old guy hobbled down the dock and I recognized Gouch who had been the Harbor Master for years but is now retired and only works part time. It was great seeing him but I was disappointed that they do not sell diesel. I have more than enough to get to our next port so we did a quick pump out and headed to our assigned dock for the night. A very pleasant surprise followed when I went to register and was given a major discount with my Boat US card. If they had Diesel I would have given them a 4 but without they only deserve a 3. They also do not monitor Channel 16 or any other VHF channel.

Tuesday 10/17/17 Travel Day 14

First light seems to be getting a little later each day so to get off the dock early is getting harder. We did make it off the dock at 8:20 and the wind had died down over night. One of our fellow Trawler Form Members was anchored near by in Harrison Bay so I gave him a shout as I motored by on my way to the main channel. In our conversation I learn that The Watts Bar Lock only has one floating bitt or bollard on the right side as you enter from down stream and a boat our size would not be able to use it. Because we carry our tide ride stairs to port and it had received some damage the day before I doubled up with big ball fenders to protect it an hope for the best. We arrived at the lock and the chamber was waiting so we motored in. Both my wife/first mate/admiral and my self were a little nervous after yesterday but all went well and we were soon up and on our way. As we motored up river on Checkamonga Lake I again marveled at the beauty and then I realized this was the same as every other lake on the Tennessee River. As you enter the lakes from the dam and head up river the lakes are wider, deeper, more islands and just beautiful. The farther up river you go the scenery changes and eventually you feel like you are in a river or canal and not the lake you started out in. Are destination tonight in Terrace View Marina. I have stoping there off and on for the past ten years and have gone through three owners. I was looking forward to meeting the new owner because I have been hearing great things about him and what he is doing with the place. But before I could get there I had to go past two more TVA nuclear power plants. One at Soddy Daisy and another at Watts Bar. We definitely have enough power in Tennessee to light your light. We arrived at the marina about three o’clock and fueled up and headed to one of the nicest transient dock I have been at over the last two weeks. The views of the lake and scenery were just what was needed to end the day. Mark knows he has a lot to do to bring this marina back but he and his family are committed to making this a destination. Tomorrow will end this journey and we will have traveled about eight hundred miles. Ten lock with one still to go. The boat has performed way beyond my expectations and I look forward to many more day and weeks of cruising. Tomorrow we have seventy miles to go so we are hoping to be off the dock at seven.

Tuesday 10/17/17 Travel Day 14

First light seems to be getting a little later each day so to get off the dock early is getting harder. We did make it off the dock at 8:20 and the wind had died down over night. One of our fellow Trawler Form Members was anchored near by in Harrison Bay so I gave him a shout as I motored by on my way to the main channel. In our conversation I learn that The Watts Bar Lock only has one floating bitt or bollard on the right side as you enter from down stream and a boat our size would not be able to use it. Because we carry our tide ride stairs to port and it had received some damage the day before I doubled up with big ball fenders to protect it an hope for the best. We arrived at the lock and the chamber was waiting so we motored in. Both my wife/first mate/admiral and my self were a little nervous after yesterday but all went well and we were soon up and on our way. As we motored up river on Checkamonga Lake I again marveled at the beauty and then I realized this was the same as every other lake on the Tennessee River. As you enter the lakes from the dam and head up river the lakes are wider, deeper, more islands and just beautiful. The farther up river you go the scenery changes and eventually you feel like you are in a river or canal and not the lake you started out in. Are destination tonight in Terrace View Marina. I have stoping there off and on for the past ten years and have gone through three owners. I was looking forward to meeting the new owner because I have been hearing great things about him and what he is doing with the place. But before I could get there I had to go past two more TVA nuclear power plants. One at Soddy Daisy and another at Watts Bar. We definitely have enough power in Tennessee to light your light. We arrived at the marina about three o’clock and fueled up and headed to one of the nicest transient dock I have been at over the last two weeks. The views of the lake and scenery were just what was needed to end the day. Mark knows he has a lot to do to bring this marina back but he and his family are committed to making this a destination. Tomorrow will end this journey and we will have traveled about eight hundred miles. Ten lock with one still to go. The boat has performed way beyond my expectations and I look forward to many more day and weeks of cruising. Tomorrow we have seventy miles to go so we are hoping to be off the dock at seven.[/QUOT

We were on the Bluff Dock downtown Chat Sunday through Tuesday, Sorry we missed you. Soggy Dollar

Soggy, I remember seeing you tied up at the Bluff on Monday when we went by.

Wednesday 10/18/17 Travel Day 15

Off the dock by seven didn’t work because we oversleep and we had
p-soup fog and could not see the end of the dock. We did get off at 8:10 but the conditions had not changed. I had spent a good part of the trip with the radar on even in good weather and felt confident that I could do this. Getting out of the marina was probably the most difficult part since nothing was visible. We were soon on the navigational line as shown on the chart and as the minutes went by I could feel my confidence building. The time sent with the radar on in good weather was now paying of. We managed to cover almost 20 miles in the two hours before the fog lifted. There were a couple things I had wanted to see that were invisible to me as we passed by so this gives me an excuse for another cruise. Since we had seventy miles to travel we were very happy to see the sun shine through and feel the temp rise. Earlier I had to turn on a heater to stay warm on the bridge. Our three year old soft enclosure really did its job but a little heated made things perfect. We soon passed by Kingston, TN and the Clinch River with Loudon, TN and the Fort Loudon Dam third miles ahead. We slowed down to wave at some friends who were standing on a dock in Loudon and continued on to the dam. The Lock Master had it open and waiting for us. Dam number 10 of 10 was soon behind us. We pulled out into Fort Loudon lake and made the turn to starboard to head in to the short canal putting us in the Little Tennessee River or Tellico Lake. The Little Tennessee River starts in the mountains of North Carolina with Fontana lake as the first damned lake. From there it flows through the highest dam east of the Mississippi river. It takes your breath away to stand at the top and look down the two hundred and seventy ft from the top. In 2007 during a drought the lake was lower seventy ft. From there it flows into Calderwood Lake then Chilhowee and then into Tellico Lake. There is no industry or housing until you get to Tellico and even here it is strictly controlled. The point of all this is that you end up with the purest water in the TVA system. An hour and a half after entering Tellico lake we were pulling into the channel for Tellico Marina our new home for Twilight Time. Several dock mates showed up to help secure her ending a great trip. When we bought her in 2014 she had been badly neglected for at least seven years. It took a lot of work to get her ready for this trip but after eight hundred miles I would not think twice about heading off on the Great Loop. She is a beast and ready to go after eight hundred miles. The only problem is I’m not sure her Captain and Crew at 75 are as ready. Thanks for traveling along with us.

Wifey B: Making me a little jealous today as we're checking out our hold boating home, Lake Norman in NC. It was so incredible but then you see lakes as part of the TN River and you realize you can go forever. :)

Not really jealous as I'm back where it all started, where I fell in love with boating. It may be small compared to oceans we've cruised but it still was our lake, our home, for so long. :D

Thanks for sharing Bob. I really enjoyed following your trip. We bought our 48 early Sept and brought her from Cincinatti OH to Chattanooga in seven days, 870 miles. Great way to get to know your new boat

Welcome back! I've been following your trip down. I'm located at Sequoyah Landing just around the corner from you with my Albin 27. You're right about this being the best location on the TVA system. When we sold our Trader 44' ten years ago, I thought we'd swallowed the anchor for good after 15 years of cruising and living aboard. I then realized it was not possible to live happily in an area like this without a cruiser on the water, (and it's NICE not worrying about hurricanes, storms, tides and salt water corrosion). Ben

Great Bob! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing your trip. We’re on our way from Nashville to Pickwick Lake, currently at Clarksville. We’ve loved the past seven months on the inland rivers and look forward to continuing next year.

Paul

Thanks for sharing your adventure.
I was good speaking with you as you left Island Cove Tuesday.
We are at Ditto Landing this morning and are looking at going on over to Joe Wheeler today and stage for getting through Wilson Lock with all the 'Loopers' heading South.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom