Old 01-17-2018, 05:57 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Last Hurrah, Bay Pelican Returning to the US

It’s time. After ten years in the Eastern Caribbean, we are heading back to Florida. While we are in good health we have aged as have our friends. We have always known that we had to return someday as a trawler cannot be sold in the Eastern Caribbean (it is a sailboat world). The journey back is long (we are planning on 25 some jumps island hopping) and will take two to three months. Most of our long time friends down here of the same generation have sold or left, and we do not want to be the last, nor find that we no longer have the health to make the trip back.
We have two fiends joining us as crew for the trip. In addition the other trawler in our long time group, a Nordhavn 46, is buddy boating with us back to Florida. Our plan is to store Bay Pelican in Florida and list her for sale. Until she is sold we will cruise Florida and the Bahamas. 20 years with Bay Pelican and we have loved her and our travels and made many friends.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:05 AM   #2
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
Marty, we should “bump” into each other, preferably not at anchor in the middle of the night sorry for the anchor humor, been around too many charter boats recently.

We have made our way from Grenada to Barbuda, will drop back to Antiqua to check out soon, then to St. Barth (meeting 101tug another TF member) then to Anguilla, then back down Statia, Saba, to Montserrat for St. Patty’s day. If any of this fits your itinerary, would love to catch up.

I saw Bay Pelican at Rodney bay on the hard when we were headed south in June.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:22 AM   #3
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Just enjoy every minute of your travels. Sounds like you have been living the dream that only a few ever will. Once a boater, always a boater. It is something that stays with you always. I hope you have a fantastic journey back to the states!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #4
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Great journey you have experienced that many of us unfortunately can only dream about, safe trip.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #5
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
I am sure you have mixed emotions about returning but as has happened to us many times in life, we just know when it is the right time to do something. Have a wonderful return trip. God Bless!
Old 01-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
The end of a great era, Marty and Deb! What a ride it's been, huh!!

No doubt it'll be a bittersweet trip. Another one for the record books. When do you expect to start your journey north?

Sorry you won't be in FL in time for the Ft. Pierce gathering. You'll miss a good one!

I hope our paths cross again in the near future. Let me know if you find yourselves out west again. Cheers!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BP. You may want to change the title of this thread. I, for one, do NOT see this decision as a "Last Hurrah', rather a change from the ferris wheel to the merry-go-round. Grab that brass ring hand have at it. From reading your posts, you won't be bored...Fair seas.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
20 years is certainly an outstanding run. Sorry this chapter is coming to an end. Maybe some good cruising near Fl before the boat sells.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Bahamas cruising is pretty darn great. They are better than the Eastern Caribbean in some ways, most notably better fishing and diving. And while both have great beaches, the Bahamas are a little bit better, IMO. Certainly less crowded.

Some parts of Florida are still nice as well, though the state is in serious decline.

You've got a lot to look forward to.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #10
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Bahamas cruising is pretty darn great. They are better than the Eastern Caribbean in some ways, most notably better fishing and diving. And while both have great beaches, the Bahamas are a little bit better, IMO. Certainly less crowded.

Some parts of Florida are still nice as well, though the state is in serious decline.

You've got a lot to look forward to.

I’ve not spent enough time in Florida to know anything. Why is it in a state of decline?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:46 PM   #11
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Marty,

Congrats on your 20 years of cruising. If I can do 1/4 of the exploring you and your wife have experience I will be happy!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote