Meal planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can food supermarkets have 1000s of horrid food sealed in tin cans. A good practice is to write on the tin with marking pen what the contents are because paper labels tend to fall off .

Also write the date. Mystery foods from the bilge ought to be purged annually.

Greetings,
Re: post #44. Ms. BB. Good grief. Loaded with saturated fat and sodium. No thanks. Might be good for you youngsters but it would give the Admiral a heart attack to think I was eating it.

Wifey B: I don't worry about saturated fat but sodium I don't like. We don't consume a lot of sodium so on occasion we're ok with it. We do search for low sodium choices in canned products and there are some. We neither one ever salt our food. We salt nothing. We went years without any salt in the house. We had no sugar in the house either. We don't even use them on things like grapefruit. We also order steaks in restaurants without salt. :)

Also write the date. Mystery foods from the bilge ought to be purged annually.
Indeed. Otherwise, we might be purged.:)
B&B, my maternal great grandmother was quoted as saying "eating an egg without salt is like kissing a man without a mustache". I`m not qualified to comment.

Last edited:
Reading this thread I can't believe some of the things you guys are eating.

Me either. I think we ate more healthy food on the two week "boys trip" I just finished in comparison to some of the food mentioned here. (if you don't include the beer we consumed)

We ate a lot of fresh fish, squid, and razorfish (like scallops) caught along the way.
Simple things like sourdough bread with ham and cheese for lunch while underway; roasted almonds,cashews etc for snacks.
Spaghetti bolognaise, chicken shnitzel parmigiana, chickpea bean and onion salad, Thai green chicken curry, pancakes, omelettes were all had during the trip. Those little squeeze tubes of minced garlic and chili paste are handy for boat meals.

We had little freezer space as well, so we started with all the meat frozen in sealed plastic which was used to keep the beer cold. As things thawed, we ate the meat and drank the beer. It's a technique that we perfected with lots of practice..

and Wifey B - Never cooked a soup from scratch? You don't know what you are missing. I'm sorry, but Campbell's is crap.

Indeed. Otherwise, we might be purged.:)
B&B, my maternal great grandmother was quoted as saying "eating an egg without salt is like kissing a man without a mustache". I`m not qualified to comment.

Bruce, your great grandmother sounds like a lot of fun! She seems a lot like Moon Unit's Aunt Tess. She's a retired Air Traffic Controller...in her 80's, I believe.

If you like bacon and eggs for breakfast you can get canned bacon which will last forever unopened but once opened must be refrigerated.

Eggs?

Wifey sometimes buys some kind of bacon in a box that doesn't need refrigeration... Don't remember if it needs refrigeration after opening, though...

Apparently eggs are refrigerated in the U.S., but not so much elsewhere.

I can add that dry cereals -- served cold or hot (e.g., oatmeal) -- can work for breakfasts given a way to keep the right quantity of milk cold.

Now that we know it's a planned 3-week trip, easy. Two coolers -- one with ice blocks for frozen foods and loaded in reverse-order of planned consumption, the other for normal stuff -- and an assortment of dried stuff and fresh produce can solve that without any heavy-duty effort. Especially if there are any shoreside meals interspersed throughout. Might need an ice refresher along the way, but many fuel docks solve that.

-Chris

Greetings,
Mr. 42. Of course! Pre-cooked bacon. Just a zap in the microwave and viola! How could I have forgotten that? The Admiral buys it as well...Doh!
Eggs in NA have to be refrigerated because they are washed thus removing the natural preservative coating (bloom) they have when laid. In Europe they don't wash the eggs so they can be stored at room temp. The main reason I suggested the Egg Beaters is the packaging. Milk style carton vs egg carton (saves precious fridge space).

original.jpg

Thanks. We'll get Mr. cb provisioned eventually...

Ms BB. Your chowder contains 37% RDI of sodium per cup (1 serving). If you are concerned about your salt intake you might eliminate that from your diets forthwith. Read the nutrition labels! LOTS of info there.

Mr. 42. Of course! Pre-cooked bacon. Just a zap in the microwave and viola! How could I have forgotten that? The Admiral buys it as well...Doh!

Discovered we have some in the house, as we speak. (Well, as I type...)

Ours is Boar's Head brand, fully cooked. Payload in the main package (at least in the size we have just now) is divided into two airtight pouches (approx 7 slices each), so no need to refrigerate the remaining pouch once one has been opened.

For OP, another avenue is about breads. Fresh baguettes can get you through the first few days. If you add a toaster or toaster-oven, then sliced bread, bagels, English muffins, etc. can work nicely, too.

-Chris

Thinking about this more, why not do the sensible thing - Leave the provisioning and cooking to your chef just like you let your captain run the boat.

I haven't seen the canned chicken, where do you find it?

Your local grocery store. Usually the same aisle where you find canned tuna fish. These are sometimes available in foil packs instead of metal cans. Storage and taste is the same but you end up with less trash.

Grocery stores also carry prepared microwaveable meals such as meatloaf and mashed potatoes, chicken and dumplings, spaghetti and meatballs, etc. They come in plastic trays and don't have to be refrigerated. Hormel and others make them. Some are pretty good, others, not so much. These are our "standby meals".

86c2955232a34de9b9dfc14b62d2789e

Thought about adding a propane in the cockpit? Or an electric grill someplace? Or a toaster/oven? Slow cooker? Electric skillet? Electric pressure cooker?

Just thinking of ways to expand your horizons... :)

Coincidentally, the other forum (cruisersforum) has a thread or 30 about pressure cookers, a couple relatively recent.

Instant Pot is one of the recommended products, an electric combination pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, saute pan, etc...

Since we've been temporarily without PC at home (our last simply wore out) and didn't yet have one on this boat anyway (for some unknown reason)... it seemed like a good time to fix that, at least for home. I just ordered the Instant Pot IP-DUO60, the 6-qt middle-of-the-lines version from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-...F8&qid=1487867701&sr=1-1&keywords=instant+pot

Once I get my hands on it and can better assess size -- both for cooking and for storage -- and assuming it works as advertised, I can decide what we'll want on the boat (smaller? same?) and/or maybe larger for home?

Could make a decent addition to a galley with only a one-burner cooktop and a microwave...

-Chris

and Wifey B - Never cooked a soup from scratch? You don't know what you are missing. I'm sorry, but Campbell's is crap.

Wifey B: I don't think it should shock anyone that I'm not exactly a big time chef. :) We don't eat soup a lot, but I like the Campbell home style and chunky versions fine on occasion. Of course, my favorite chili is Hormel. Still like it as well as any home made. :ermm:

As to how healthy people eat, you don't judge on one food or things they suggest the OP consider. It's like sodium intake. In spite of occasional sodium loaded soup or such item, I'd venture to say we're in the lowest 10% here in total sodium intake.

We also don't drink soft drinks, coffee, or tea, or beer. No french fries or chips. Lot's of exercise. Always protect from sun. No cigarettes.

A lot of variables to a healthy diet and even more to a healthy lifestyle. :D

Notwithstanding canned soups and chili... which can at least usually be better than nothing...

This thread has been making me hungry.

:)

-Chris

Notwithstanding canned soups and chili... which can at least usually be better than nothing...

This thread has been making me hungry.

:)

-Chris

Wifey B: Well, hopefully you've eaten since this thread was started. :ermm:

Greetings,
Ms. BB. Hormel Chili? WOW! 50% of RDI sodium per serving! So a question since you seem to be aware of your sodium intake. Which has more sodium per serving? A bowl of Cheerios or a bag of potato chips? Nope. Cheerios has 20% more sodium per serving. Wouldn't think so huh?

Greetings,
Ms. BB. Hormel Chili? WOW! 50% of RDI sodium per serving! So a question since you seem to be aware of your sodium intake. Which has more sodium per serving? A bowl of Cheerios or a bag of potato chips? Nope. Cheerios has 20% more sodium per serving. Wouldn't think so huh?

Wifey B: Don't eat cereal so didn't know. Have to read labels. We follow carbs carefully. I don't eat Hormel Chili daily, but when it's really cold out, not bad. Ate in more living in NC. If our diet on the whole is low sodium then a night of Hormel Chili is ok. Now, if we had any conditions that called for it, we would be even more diligent. Our entire gang of bandits, including those in the 60's, are really quite healthy.

Chips just left our diet at the same time as fries. The thing with chips or fries is that they were always extra and mainly tied to sandwiches or burgers. So, nothing added to replace them. We don't do a lot of fast food now, but when we do, it's drive through and just the sandwich or burger, no combo. Not ideal for you, but not as bad as the combo. A lot of eating is balance. We also have a wonderful lady in our extended family who won't let us be really bad food wise. We might stray a bit but then she sees we have some healthy meals.

Our eating habits have change in other ways too. We very seldom ate fish in NC. Now we eat it a lot when cruising and get fresh fish at home fairly regularly. Our real weaknesses are chocolate and ice cream. :)

Doctor on this forum may correct me but I think sodium (not in excess like anything else) is required to maintain your body electrolit.

Greetings,
Mr. L_t et al...This thread seems to be moving in a direction that may not be of the best benefit to the OP but IS worth discussing ie: nutrtion. So, I'm going to start a new thread "Nutrition planning". If we can possibly leave future suggestions on THIS thread focused on provisioning suggestions for Mr. cb I think it may be to his best advantage...out and over.

"Apparently eggs are refrigerated in the U.S., but not so much elsewhere."

Eggs in the US are washed and graded for color and size before they go to the grocery store.

Eggs from a farm have what's called "bloom" on them. This is the fluid that the chicken produces in the laying of the egg. It forms a protective barrier that minimizes the oxygen that can permeate the semi-porous egg shell and thereby make the egg go bad.

If you don't have access to fresh unwashed eggs from a farm, you can make grocery store eggs last for many months without refrigeration. Use a small paint brush or basting brush to lightly coat the eggs in mineral oil. The oil will dry on the eggs. Then simply store in a dark cool area. Flip the carton once a week so that the white and yolk coat the inside of the egg that has airspace. You should do the flip with farm raised eggs that still have the bloom too.

The eggs will last many months.

However, here is a couple of minor considerations. With eggs that still have a bloom, you should wash the shell before cracking them to avoid contamination of your meal. Also, the eggs that are months old aren't great for baking recipes. They're just fine for your omelets and will taste fine, but the cake you like to bake won't be as good with the older eggs.

I was raised on a farm (beef cows) and chickens were always around. But I learned the trick from camping and hunting trips that took me away from refrigeration for long periods of time.

The other things I do is wax small portions of dry, aged cheese and vacuum seal meal sized portions of dried meats. I take dry beans, dehydrated potatoes,veggies, etc. Although root vegetables will last a long time if stored properly on a boat, they're inconvenient to carry in a backpack.

My goto meals from extended backpacking, no refrigeration and must be compact and light:

1) Chicken and dumplings - foil chicken (or canned), veggie soup mix for broth, and Bisquick & seasoning for dumplings

2) Pasta with salt pepper and pesto (dry pesto mix, add oil) and/or cheese (baby bels wrapped in wax, last for 2+weeks in reasonable temperatures) also can add tuna or chicken

3) Couscous or Lentils, season with curry and other indian spices

Other long lasting tasty staples:
Soy milk for cereal, coffee, oatmeal, hot granola
Peanut Butter and Jelly
Pita Bread properly sealed
Dry Hummus Mix
Tortillas
Trail mix (of course)

"Apparently eggs are refrigerated in the U.S., but not so much elsewhere."

Eggs in the US are washed and graded for color and size before they go to the grocery store.

Most farmers markets require the same treatment so don't assume farmers' market eggs are going to be non-washed.

Grocery stores carry "normal" (cow's) milk in cartons that has been processed to where it will keep for months without refrigeration.

Grocery stores carry "normal" (cow's) milk in cartons that has been processed to where it will keep for months without refrigeration.

Yep. It's called UHT (Ultra High Temperature) Pasteurized. It's shelf stable until opened. Most of the world drinks their store-bought milk this way.

Yep. It's called UHT (Ultra High Temperature) Pasteurized. It's shelf stable until opened...
I refrigerate before opening. Mark the opening date, it may lack the usual "gone off" smell. 5 days is about it. But very convenient for boating.

We carry several pouches of Tasty Bite Indian foods. They are available at grocery stores, are organic, and taste great. We can open a pouch of brown rice/basmati rice/or rice w/ lentils and another pouch of a main course and be very happy for the two of us. You can boil the pouch or toss in microwave. They are also available on Amazon, but for inflated prices.

Coincidentally, the other forum (cruisersforum) has a thread or 30 about pressure cookers, a couple relatively recent.

Instant Pot is one of the recommended products, an electric combination pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, saute pan, etc...

Since we've been temporarily without PC at home (our last simply wore out) and didn't yet have one on this boat anyway (for some unknown reason)... it seemed like a good time to fix that, at least for home. I just ordered the Instant Pot IP-DUO60, the 6-qt middle-of-the-lines version from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-...F8&qid=1487867701&sr=1-1&keywords=instant+pot

Once I get my hands on it and can better assess size -- both for cooking and for storage -- and assuming it works as advertised, I can decide what we'll want on the boat (smaller? same?) and/or maybe larger for home?

Could make a decent addition to a galley with only a one-burner cooktop and a microwave...

Instant Pot IP-DUO-60 (6-qt) arrived, and our first test in battle was a corned beef brisket... which turned out pretty much like we expected (and hoped for)... and pretty much like every other good corned beef we've done before.

The IP cooks at lower pressure than the stove-top units we've always used in the past, so I just added 5 minutes/lb to cooking time... and that worked out nicely for a first guess.

The design of the system, and the extra bulky lid/handle, makes the unit larger in the vertical plane than what we might have expected... so storage will be an issue at our home (even)... and I'll have to see if I can find a home for one on the boat. The 5-qt version might be better there, although it's only about 3/4" shorter.

Otherwise, assuming storage can be solved, looks like my guess about a useful boat addition is still in the right ballpark.

Assuming diameter will nest on our galley sink, I could see this being easily usable while underway. Well sealed, no worries about spillage. Prep contents in advance, turn it on at the (calculated) right time prior to docking or anchoring for the evening, dinner's ready as soon as we get the lines or the anchor sorted!

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom