Old 09-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #41
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Mainly for the North Carolina Boating Group

Not sure I deserve that, Walt.* You have certainly had much experience in boats.

Don't get me wrong about the 440 Yanmar, I just don't think anyone would run a boat that large at 18 knots very long.* I would look for about* 14-15 knot comfortable cruising speed.* That is not bad at all.* I shouldn't even be saying that, as I don't know the boat.*

About extra maintenance on a Yanmar.* Yanmar is anal about zincs.* My big blocks have 12 each.* They use allot of alloys to make the engines light.* Just change the zincs at service and use Dexcool.* Other than that, they are about the same.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 2nd of September 2011 02:09:56 PM

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #42
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Mainly for the North Carolina Boating Group

Walt,

Ever had any thoughts about bigger and slower? Like a Willard 40? A late boat w active fins should be very comfortable and seaworthy. See the last post under Willard. "aloahboat" worked at Willard and now lives aboard down in Baha somewhere. He would probably know of any pristine W40s in your area.

Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #43
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Ever had any thoughts about bigger and slower?
* * * ** Like Marin, I've pretty much had my fill of slower.

In my area there is no plethora of scenery to entertain one while cruising. It's open sea until you get to the next marina or island. Although navigating without eye contact with land certainly has its rewards, having the ability to make a trip well within the forecast window is preferred. (Certainly by my wife.)

Don's type of cruising really coincides with my own thoughts. Fuel be damned! It's not about how much fuel you've saved, it's about the journey and the destination. If you want to save fuel, stay home! You'll save a bunch that way.

Why is it that we concentrate so much on how much fuel we are saving in our boats & then we jump in the car and lead foot it home? Practicing good fuel conservation with respect to engine size & rpms makes more sense (to me at least) when applied to our cars than our boats. (True passagemakers excluded of course.)

End of rant. :frustrated:
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #44
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Walt,

Certianly not my idea of a rant. "no plethora of scenery to entertain one while cruising" That's what made me think of an actively stabilized boat like a Willard. Wander around on your boat and relax and enterntain your guests. Have you ever been aboard a stabilized boat in 5' seas? You and your wife may love it. Just think'in.

Lots of trawler skippers are concerned about the expense of fuel. With my boat I am not and I have little money compared to most on this forum. I could live w twice that fuel burn and still not be worried about spending too much money. If I had Marin's boat I'd be runn'in at 1200rpm. But lots of trawler guys ARE worried about range. They (to some degree) think of their trawler as a passagemaker. If for no other reason but bragging power for dock talk. Bigger boat won't do it for you** ....I think. A really stabilized platform on the water probably would. Just say'in.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #45
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Hey you guys in the Research Triangle area,

Hope this doesn't mean the little restaurant I used to pick up ham/biscuits in Zebulon has disappeared.* Did they lose Spiveys Corner, too?

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/09/...goes-poof.html
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #46
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
Hey you guys in the Research Triangle area,

Hope this doesn't mean the little restaurant I used to pick up ham/biscuits in Zebulon has disappeared.* Did they lose Spiveys Corner, too?

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/09/...goes-poof.html
*Would anyone notice?

ITB Raleigh
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #47
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
*If I had Marin's boat I'd be runn'in at 1200rpm.
*No you wouldn't because the engine temps will be*WAY too low and you'll leave a sheen of unburned fuel behind you*all the way to your destination.* 1500 is about the minimum you can run and get the temp where it should be.* The FL120 is happiest between about 1600 and 1800.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #48
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
In my area there is no plethora of scenery to entertain one while cruising.
Been there, done that although in Hawaii we were at least fishing so had something to occupy our time.* But I found open ocean boating to be REALLY boring (fishing excepted).* To me the journey is the thing, not the destination but this is assuming there is something to see on the journey.* It's why I took to floatplane flying so fondly.* It's not worth dragging a Beaver on floats up much higher than 1000 feet unless you have to clear something, so most of my many hours of Beaver time have been spent*at altitudes of 1,000' AGL or lower.* Including flying up the Inside Passage to SE Alaska.* You can look at stuff when you do that, like bears on the beach and whatnot.

So I'm*with Walt given his cruising grounds.* Go fast between stuff and slow down when you get to stuff.* Actually, I'd even do that here if money was no object.* Not for the fuel but for the boat.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote