Old 08-17-2011, 07:51 AM   #21
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: Mainly for the North Carolina Boating Group

Marin, I put my other boat up for my avatar.* It is a '78 25' Blackfin center console fisherman.* It is powered by a Cat 3208T.* It is torquey and the weight is well balanced.* It is fully restored, and is one tough boat.* I have owned it for 22 years.* It is a deep V, and tracks extremeley well in a following sea.* My wife ran it at 24 knots between Perdido Pass, AL and Horn Island pass, MS.* That's 100 miles in a 4' steep following sea.* She sat on the leaning post (no seat), and we had a great ride.* I was shooting some videos.

We ran with another boat that was flatter in the aft sections.* They complained about the constant corrections needed.* We hardly touched the whell except for course changes.

I have been thinking of selling the Cat engine, and repowering with a more modern lighter weight diesel.* Probably won't, but thinking about it.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Don,

Would love to see more pics. Especially the hull. Especially aft. Other than Yanmar what new diesels are exceptionally light? I'd be looking at gas engines myself. So smooth, quiet, powerful and light. Deep Vs had/have a reputation for wandering at slow speeds but I love my 18' Winner deep V. It makes tight figure eight turns extremely well. It does require more power and can't be light and dosn'nt seem to ride as smooth as I think it should but that's most likely a problem of my expectations.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Don,

Would love to see more pics. Especially the hull. Especially aft. Other than Yanmar what new diesels are exceptionally light? I'd be looking at gas engines myself. So smooth, quiet, powerful and light. Deep Vs had/have a reputation for wandering at slow speeds but I love my 18' Winner deep V. It makes tight figure eight turns extremely well. It does require more power and can't be light and dosn'nt seem to ride as smooth as I think it should but that's most likely a problem of my expectations.
*You are right, Eric.* Thinking about the Yanmar 315 hp.* It's about 900# lighter than the Cat with 15 more HP.* Should pick the cruise up to about 30 knots.* I Usually cruise the Cat at twenty four hundred for about twenty two to twenty three knots* sometimes we run at 2600 for about 25-26 knots.* She is proped to turn 2800.

I think the V is 22 degrees.* Very comfortable and solid ride.* The Cat is so torquey in that size boat that there is a definite learning curve in handling and backing.* However, she is very predictable, and you have to give her the way she does things.* When you are not trying to fight it, it is a joy to handle.* I delite in watching people who think they are good boat handlers try it with her.* She is going to have her own way.

I do have pictures from the restoration, but they are not digital.* To many to scan.* I may take them to Wal-Mart for that.* We'll see.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:09 AM   #24
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Mainly for the North Carolina Boating Group

Don,

Why not the 370 HP*6LYA -STP?* Isn't it the same as a 315 HP*6LY family.

-- Edited by JD on Thursday 18th of August 2011 06:11:22 AM
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #25
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
I have been thinking of selling the Cat engine, and repowering with a more modern lighter weight diesel.* Probably won't, but thinking about it.
******* Given the performance of the boat that you described, I wouldn't touch it! The 3208 is a proven, bullet proof engine (I've had 3- 3208s over the years) and, yes, they're heavy, but performance is the main concern, not adding another 3-5 knots of cruising speed.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
JD wrote:
Don,

Why not the 370 HP*6LYA -STP?* Isn't it the same as a 315 HP*6LY family.

*JD and Carl,* The 370 Yanmar won't fit.* I have a source for the 315 for a factory rebuilt unit.* I figure the cost to be about 20 boat units.* That's after selling the Cat.* Probably not worth it, but something to think about.* I put nearly 30 in the do over with new electronics and custom built T top*to fit my*son who is 6'6" tall.* I* can't locate the pictures of the rebuild right off.* We pulled*out a*5 gal bucket*full of old wiring.* The hull and*deck was rejelcoated with new nonskid.* Spray rails installed.* New cushions and head in the cuddy.* A new holding tank and corian top for the bait center.* All wood stripped and 10 coats of varnish.* It's my toy.* I*have it in Tennessee docked on the lake in a covered slip.* It is crying to get back to salt water.* However, I am doing a few projects on it before taking it*back to the coast.

Still trying to find the pictures.*
Old 08-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #27
Guru

You are right Walt.* I think it comes under the heading of not leaving well enough alone.* The pictures of the restoration are still elusive.* Now, I don't want to hear any crap about my organizational skills. (I know they suck)* However, a couple of pictures of the boat out of the water did turn up.* Due to my superior computer skills, they have*been scanned.* Eric had asked for them.* The one from the stern is before restoration.* The other is on the trailer.* You can probably imagine, it is a very heavy boat.**Looks like about a 22 degree deadrise.

By the way, some of you guys like Charles may recognize the picture on the trailer being at Sam's at Orange Beach.* Everybody that fishes goes to Sam's.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Thursday 18th of August 2011 04:09:28 PM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Thursday 18th of August 2011 04:58:09 PM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 19th of August 2011 09:12:29 AM
Attached Thumbnails
blackfin stern before restore.jpg   blackfin on trailer.jpg  
Old 08-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Moon, that boat is the Shi-it.* I'd love to shoot my local non-navicable inlet in that rig.* Piece of Cake.*

[edit] in case that came across wrong, the [****] is an extreme compliment.

-- Edited by Egregious on Thursday 18th of August 2011 08:18:43 PM
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Egregious wrote:
Moon, that boat is the Shi-it.* I'd love to shoot my local non-navicable inlet in that rig.* Piece of Cake.*

[edit] in case that came across wrong, the [****] is an extreme compliment.

-- Edited by Egregious on Thursday 18th of August 2011 08:18:43 PM
*You have a good eye.* Anybody that knows Perdido Pass knows how nasty it can get when the seas oppose the tiide.* As one guy said, "I never understood that boat until I saw you blasting your way in the pass".* Rode great and true.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Thursday 18th of August 2011 08:48:12 PM
Attached Thumbnails
little moonstruck at south seas.jpg  
Old 08-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #30
Guru

Wonderful Don!!! That hull is deep and heavy yes and I think it would benefit from loosing 1000#. It would be nice to get those chines up closer to the WL. My Winner is fairly light for the type and her chine is 1/4" above the WL empty boat w fuel. The more I think about it the more I think your BF is too heavy. I'd sure love to have a smaller version of her. Looks like somebody put a rather serious spray rail fwd. I'll bet the water really flies in the sloppy and nasty but prolly gobs of fun. Thanks much much for the pics and comments Don.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Wonderful Don!!! That hull is deep and heavy yes and I think it would benefit from loosing 1000#. It would be nice to get those chines up closer to the WL. My Winner is fairly light for the type and her chine is 1/4" above the WL empty boat w fuel. The more I think about it the more I think your BF is too heavy. I'd sure love to have a smaller version of her. Looks like somebody put a rather serious spray rail fwd. I'll bet the water really flies in the sloppy and nasty but prolly gobs of fun. Thanks much much for the pics and comments Don.
*Thanks, Eric.* It has been fun thinking back over my 22 years with the Blackfin.* As you know, deep Vs can tend to be a wet ride.* The Blactfin hull was patterned after the early Bertram deep Vs designed by Ray Hunt.* Great boats, but wet.* During the restoration we installed the spray rails on the chine line.* They have a little reverse cup and do a good job of turning the spray away.* I was surprised at how much lift it gave the bow.* The boat takes a little more tab now.* I also added Smart Rails to my 34 Mainship Pilot with great results.

Also, we have another couple of boats in the stable that I may tell about later.* Somebody please help me!
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Kenneth Grahame (The Wind in the Willows)

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 19th of August 2011 09:19:59 AM
Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #32
Guru

Here are our other two family boats.* Both Boston Whalers.* The 17' is a 1967 that we have restored twice.* The last time with new gelcoat and a Merc 90hp 4 stroke.* My sons learned to operate and ski with that boat.* My grandsons now.

The second is my son's 26' Whaler that he fishes off shore.* Great boat.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Saturday 20th of August 2011 11:20:50 AM
Attached Thumbnails
100_0329.jpg   cimg0117.jpg  
Old 08-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #33
Guru

The 17 Manatou (sp?) what a classic. Desegned by Ray Hunt too. There is a 20' Bertram here on the island and the owner thinks he wants to re-fit her but I know he won't and I told him he may have a buyer in me. He has a business and like most small business owners he's over extended on his time and won't ever do the refit. Prolly take 4-5hph to support her.*

Re the deep V my Winner is'nt wet but she has a bottom that's stepped laterally. The steps (about 3" wide) take the place of the usual spray rails. I think it pounds a bit more because of the flat surfaces (the steps). I remember when the Moppie won the offshore race in 1961. I designed a boat after the Ray Hunt hull but it evolved into a tri.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #34
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
Here are our other two family boats.* Both Boston Whalers.* The 17' is a 1967 that we have restored twice.* The last time with new gelcoat and a Merc 90hp 4 stroke.* My sons learned to operate and ski with that boat.* My grandsons now.

The second is my son's 26' Whaler that he fishes off shore.* Great boat.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Saturday 20th of August 2011 11:20:50 AM
*I had a Whaler for years and that got replaced with a larger Grady White I found for sale at our marina.* When some of my second cousins get bored with video games and TV and tell me there is nothing to do, I take 'em out Tubbs inlet.* Not marked but do-able at high tide.* After taking a few breakers over the bow while crossing the bar they suddenly don't seem so bored any more.* The lesson is get a boat (or two) and you'll never be bored, that's for sure!
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:40 AM   #35
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl

Nice Stable Don! I have had 2 of those Boston Whalers also. Both were total restoration jobs. If you need the plans for the mahogany console, I may still have them (from Whaler). I Built one for one of my boats.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Sailor of Fortune wrote:
Nice Stable Don! I have had 2 of those Boston Whalers also. Both were total restoration jobs. If you need the plans for the mahogany console, I may still have them (from Whaler). I Built one for one of my boats.
*Thanks, Capt. Jack.* Please hang on to those.* The boat is iin relly good shape, now.* That can change in a few years as the grandkids use it.

We towed that boat many a mile behind our 36' trawler.* We have had allot of fun with it over the years.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
We towed that boat many a mile behind our 36' trawler.* We have had allot of fun with it over the years.
*Don:

Having had a 36' trawler in the past & now having a go fast boat, why the change? Has your own mortality caught up with you & you want to cover as much ground as possible or is 8 knots just boring? My wife & I really like (love?) our 32 but are seriously looking at a 48 Euro style that cruises at 18 knots. With twin Yanmars (which you have) that gives me a warmer fuzzy feeling as far as redundancy is concerned & allows another couple decent sleeping arrangements while covering more water a little faster. Back to the Yanmars (440s) I don't know anything about those engines but I think that I read somewhere that they can be problematic and require more maintenance than other engine models. (Say Cummins, which are my favorite.) I'd really appreciate your input on this matter and don't pull any punches, we are both over 21 & can take it.

For some of* our Forum members who have 32' go slow boats, this is not a knock against them. SeaHorse is probably my favorite boat of all time except now that our pets have dwindled down to one horse (and he's boarded out) we have this new found freedom and want to cruise a lot more. Here, in San Diego, we have the best weather in the world but it's a long way between neat stops for cruising. Hence, a bigger and faster boat would be much better .

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 2nd of September 2011 09:49:08 AM
Old 09-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #38
Guru

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 2nd of September 2011 09:47:00 AM
Old 09-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
*Don:

*I'd really appreciate your input on this matter and don't pull any punches, we are both over 21 & can take it.

*Walt, here goes.* We ordered the 36' Marine Trader Sedan (Europa Style) to be built to our specifications.* My sons were in school, so we were doing local cruising.* I didn't want a houseboat, so ordered the trawler.* We almost used it as a floating condo.* In fact, one of my sons lived on it in the summers while working as dockmaster at the marina.* He also worked as a hand on the dinner cruise river boat while at the University of Tennessee.* When the kids went off to college, we were free to roam again.* We bought the Blackfin and put it down on the coast for fishing and a little cruising.* We found that we were cruising it more than fishing, so bought the 34 Mainship.* Grandkids came along, and we needed more room.* That brought about the 42 Sabre.

Now for cruising, we have no problem with 8 knots if there is time.* I am now starting to take a little more time off so thinking of maybe a 48 Selene.* It would just b a little better for livaboard.* We would probably stay winters in Bahamas and summers in Maine or Chesapeake.* Just thinking.

Now, to Yanmars.* Krogen Express uses the 440 Yanmars.* Moostruck has the 500s.* The difference being the 500s have a larger block, slower turnng, and more torque.* The 440s I think are based on the block that the 370 I had in the Mainship.* They are bairly high reving engines.* To achieve an 18 knot speed, you would probably be turning around 3000 rpms.* It is my opinion that they could be a little light to push a boat that size at those speeds.* The 500s have so much torque that I have to judiciously advance the throttles.* When the turbos spool up it is almost like afterburners kicking in.* I could hurt some passengers.* Any boat owner that I let driv the boat loves to do it.* They can't believe how she just rises up on plane and takes off.

We love the speed to cover the ground that we would not be able to do otherwise.* Maybe I am trying a little to out run the grim reaper.* When he catches me I want to be smiling.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
We love the speed to cover the ground that we would not be able to do otherwise.* Maybe I am trying a little to out run the grim reaper.* When he catches me I want to be smiling.
******* Thanks, Don, for your treatise on my dilemma. You have a lot more water that's passed under your keel than I do and I value your council. :worship: