Maiden voyage Naples to Key Largo to Bimini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
After 4 months of preparation, we left Marco Island, Fl on October 12th. My Lady, a "rare," 1981 Formosa double cabin trawler performed well on the 9 hour trip south to Shell Key. Dodged thousands of crab pots and shallow water. Our 4' 6" draft made things interesting with our 12 year old chartplotter and charts...

Got directions confused and ran aground trying to get into Coral Bay Marina. Sat for a few hours until high tide floated us off damage free.

Anchored out that night then onto Mangrove Marina in Tavernier the next day. Stayed there for 3 days, ate great Cuban food, fixed a few things then left on the 20th to head south to Snake Creek and out into the Atlantic. Headed straight to Bimini and our 8 knot normal cruise speed increased to 12 at one point with the help of the Florida Current.

Anchored out off the beach on North Bimini Island in crystal clear blue water!

Then into Big Game Marina to go through customs and immigration. Left in the late afternoon to head to an anchorage south of South Bimini when just out of the channel I lost my old chartplotter and new Garmin chartplotter simultaneously sonar! We crept around the point and into the bay with my wife and her friend on the bow watching for shallow water. Just as I was about to take her out of gear, we ran aground on a sandy grass bottom that obviously looked much deeper to the girls than it actually was. Waited two hours for the tide to float us off and we backed into deeper water and anchored for the night.

Next day came back into the harbor and a slip at Brown's Marina to get things working right again. Then the wind came up today and we'll probably be here for a few more days. Beautiful place though! Having fun!

Sounds like you landed softly in spite of the electronic compromises. You're out there enjoying and that's good enough (and more than a lot of us are doing). Congrats on a successful maiden voyage. Nice trawler, by the way.

Very nice trawler. I pulled up your earlier posts from when you first purchased the boat--it was entertaining to read. Congratulations and enjoy every minute!

Congrats on getting out there! Even the bad is good:thumb:

Sounds like you're having fun.

Have you seen the big ferry from Miami to Bimini?
What are they using to get people ashore? Their website says that they give you a "Harbor Tour" when you get to Bimini.

No better way for a real shake down than a cruise the way you will use the boat. A boat takes a little getting familiar with. Great story. Keep us up on it.:thumb::thumb:

Progress today!

Got my Garmin 421s working again after replacing the connections to power. I have a Garmin handheld GPS with a chart chip that I thought should work with the 421s but it doesn't seem to recognize it (yet...) Any thoughts??

Also figured out why my boat is listing to port. All the fuel we've used so far has come out of the starboard tank. Never did get a lesson on how the tank valves are configured. That's my project for today. Should I be able to open a valve and balance the tanks by gravity flow? Or is a pump necessary? I'll take a picture of the configuration and post it if I can't make sense of it.

The mast I built to replace the rotten mahogany original has worked fine so far, as has the bow plank I made with my new Mantus anchor! I have yet to figure out a good way to control the boom swing when launching the dinghy. Any thoughts there???

I've also got 3 VHF radios on board and need to sit down with the manuals to see what all they do. One is an excellent (expensive,) unit I was told but I haven't taken the time yet to figure it out. Probably something to put toward the top of the priority list...

Still windy today...

Got my Garmin 421s working again after replacing the connections to power. I have a Garmin handheld GPS with a chart chip that I thought should work with the 421s but it doesn't seem to recognize it (yet...) Any thoughts?? Also figured out why my boat is listing to port. All the fuel we've used so far has come out of the starboard tank. Never did get a lesson on how the tank valves are configured. That's my project for today. Should I be able to open a valve and balance the tanks by gravity flow? Or is a pump necessary? I'll take a picture of the configuration and post it if I can't make sense of it. The mast I built to replace the rotten mahogany original has worked fine so far, as has the bow plank I made with my new Mantus anchor! I have yet to figure out a good way to control the boom swing when launching the dinghy. Any thoughts there??? I've also got 3 VHF radios on board and need to sit down with the manuals to see what all they do. One is an excellent (expensive,) unit I was told but I haven't taken the time yet to figure it out. Probably something to put toward the top of the priority list... Still windy today...
I There should be two guys at browns on a sailboat from Texas who can help you out with your boom issues. They just crossed back over on weds. I gave them an extra anchor for their trip south later this month.

Sent from my iPhone

Bryan and Mike!

They pulled up next to me yesterday and I've been talking to them this morning. Good guys! Small world!:thumb:

Bryan and Mike! They pulled up next to me yesterday and I've been talking to them this morning. Good guys! Small world!:thumb:
Tell them to take you to Stewarts for conch salad. Go easy on the yellow hot sauce 1/2 tsp or less if you haven't had it before.

Sent from my iPhone

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom