Loop costs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
There's been a lot of discussion on the cost of doing the loop, and there's fancy calculators out there.

I just filled out the cost calculator on AGLCA and came up with a cost of only $25,000 in my 400 Mainship. Seems reasonable. I originally budgeted $30.

But, there's a ton of costs that we would spend anyway, if we didn't go, so no point in including them. And if one rents their house out, there's income to offset boat costs.

===

Seems like the higher costs include:

Fuel, probably the biggest single items:

Additional food costs (the price that you'll pay because you not getting you local discounts, and probably eating out more... which can be huge for hungry folks)

Marinas, unless one spends a lot of hook time, which I feel most folks do.

===

But cost that shouldn't count:
Boat purchase price
Insurance
Home slip fees
Basic grocery and health costs
Basic boat annual and monthly maintenance

===

Seems like a bargain trip to me. Heck if one stayed home and joined the country club, joined a flying club, entertained a lot, and got a GF on the side, life would be much more expensive... so go boating, cheaper.

How do you figure your loop costs?

On my 38' at hull speed with two on board, costs on several trips averaged $100/day. Rare marina stays, little eating out. Mostly anchored and cooked on board.

This was fuel, food, maintenance such as oil changes and filters, dockage. Basically credit card bill and I put everything on it. $3k per month.

This is on the cheap end. Marinas and eating out will grow the bill fast.

For my 4 to 6 months trips to Florida and back every year.....

I live on less than $2500 per month for everything from marinas to toothpaste to fuel.

That includes boat and car insurance for 1, and an annual haul out and light to medium maintenance....plus every household thing from shoes to clothes to cleaning supplies, etc...etc...

I could easily spend another $500-$1000 a month if I wanted to splurge on meals, entertainment and travel beyond local.

I do almost all boat maintenance myself, and now that I have caught up on most systems, maintenance should drop and the quality of replacements through the years should improve.

$100/day on average was what we spent on the little loop in 2000. Fuel was not a major expense then ($.99/us gal).

Erie and Canadian canal systems are a great bargain.

Fun factor of trip went up when we stopped pinching pennies and went out to eat and sight seeing more often. Didn't seem to raise the cost of the trip much.

How many times you going to do this?

Would the cost of cruising the loop be any different from cruising anywhere else?
I suppose if you spent time staying in big cities and chasing the nightlife, it could get expensive. But aside from that, what costs are more than regular day to day living costs?

I don't really find that cruising changes my living costs much at all. My fuel costs are about AUS$20/day cruising 5 hours. This is about equal to fuel costs on land with 2 cars. I do my own boat maintenance, so not much difference there. I usually anchor out, so minimal extra cost there. Food costs are the same or cheaper if seafood is available to catch while cruising.

If I rented my house out during a long term cruise, I'm sure that would pay for all extra cruising costs plus money left over.

$100 a day! That defines us as rich! Sixty-five years ago we could do the same at $10.

Cruising the loop is a good bit like any other cruising, just the typical loop cruiser averages more hours per day. As to costs, it's much like on land, depending on how you choose to enjoy the trip. Do you go siteseeing on land at the locations you go to? Do you dock or anchor? Eat out or in? Eat out at inexpensive restaurants or five star? You can enjoy the loop spending in any price range. However, trying to enjoy it by choosing a lifestyle different from what you're accustomed to lowers the odds of full enjoyment. I think too that anyone cruising that length of time on one trip is going to need to reward themselves with special treats.

The way I look at it is that cruising anywhere only has to add the extra costs of moorage and fuel.

Anything else is optional.

If you are the type that likes to eat out, then you probably already eat out when near home. Being on a boat won't change that. If you are the type that tends to not eat out, then being on a boat wont change that. You can eat on a boat just as easily as at home.

The things that will change is that you will be buying more fuel than you probably do now. That fuel is of course dependant on how much you cruise in a given period of time.

You will also be paying transient moorage a good part of the time.

If you are the type that likes to eat out, then you probably already eat out when near home. Being on a boat won't change that. If you are the type that tends to not eat out, then being on a boat wont change that. You can eat on a boat just as easily as at home.

A lot of boaters enjoy eating out in different places so do eat out more when cruising than at home. We seldom eat out at home, but eat out about 1 our of every 2 or at most 3 days when cruising. We like sampling the finest foods of locations we're visiting.

A lot of boaters enjoy eating out in different places so do eat out more when cruising than at home. We seldom eat out at home, but eat out about 1 our of every 2 or at most 3 days when cruising. We like sampling the finest foods of locations we're visiting.

Yes, I suppose that's true. Although not necessary if you are trying to keep to a budget, local cusine is part of the experience.

I like to try local specialties. In Monterey I asked for the local seafood specialty. They said sardines, so I tried them.

Didn't realize what they call Sardines in Monterey are the same thing we call Herring in Alaska. We just don't eat them there. We use them for bait because of all the strong oils.
I will say the locally sourced Cioppino made up for the Sardines though.

Last edited:
Some of us eat to live, and some of us live to eat. And that will make a difference.

Marina fees will be the big expense unless you are avoiding marinas. We did the loop in 13 months with 3.5 months in Florida. Fuel was $6600 for 2684 gal, avg 2.4 mi/gal. Marinas were $16600. 321 of the 389 days in marinas. Works out to $51/day for marinas over the 13 months. Stayed three months at monthly rates in Florida.

In Monterey I asked for the local seafood specialty. They said sardines, so I tried them.

Didn't realize what they call Sardines in Monterey are the same thing we call Herring in Alaska. We just don't eat them there. We use them for bait because of all the strong oils.
I will say the locally sourced Cioppino made up for the Sardines though.

Wifey B: You actually ate sardines? Haven't you ever seen them in the cans that if anyone opens you run out of the house just from the odor? Obviously some people like them or they still wouldn't be in the stores. But major yuck. :nonono::nonono:

I don't eat bait. Bait is for catching real fish.

Wifey B: You actually ate sardines? Haven't you ever seen them in the cans that if anyone opens you run ou of the house just from the odor? Obviously some people like them or they still wouldn't be in the stores. But major yuck. :nonono::nonono:

You must never have had white anchovies: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boquerones_en_vinagre

They have a nice clean taste with no fishy odor.......

Mmmmm, sardines in Louisiana hot sauce, mustard sauce, horseradish sauce....plain.....on bread....

Need some time on comnercial vessels.... :)

Especially when it is rough....

All kidding aside, sardines in mustard or Louisiana hot sauce... pretty dang good.

Wifey B: You actually ate sardines? Haven't you ever seen them in the cans that if anyone opens you run out of the house just from the odor? Obviously some people like them or they still wouldn't be in the stores. But major yuck. :nonono::nonono:

Fish canned in water doesn't smell compared to ones in oil or other sauces.

Ted

Greetings,
Many moons ago we got a note from our daughter's teacher to the effect "Please don't send your daughter to school with sardine and peanut butter sandwiches in her lunch. None of the other children want to sit with her" Go figure?????

Great breakfast...sardine on toast...Yum!

th

Lots of variables to calculating costs. Boat dockage and fuel would be 2 big ones. The route you take and where you stop play a big part. Stopping at a marina near ground zero New York city can cost you a fortune. Anchoring behind The Lady will give you a priceless view at night, for free!

2017-05-20 17.27.01.jpg

2017-05-20 17.32.20.jpg

2017-05-20 17.34.42.jpg

I planned $100 per day (traveling solo) and am below that in spite of eating out more than I had planned. Ought to be a federal law requiring ice crean stores to be at least 300 yards from transient docks.:rolleyes:

Ted

I planned $100 per day (traveling solo) and am below that in spite of eating out more than I had planned. Ought to be a federal law requiring ice crean stores to be at least 300 yards from transient docks.:rolleyes:

Ted

Wifey B: Seems to me boaters are overall big on ice cream. Every book I read on looping and cruising they were always eating ice cream. We sure do. Glad ice cream shops are convenient. :lol:

Senor RT. Sardines, peanut butter, onions on a bun with hot sauce is one of life's pleasure.

Wifey B. I'm surprised you guys don't have an ice cream maker on board. Great ice cream when ever you want. [emoji16]

I don't think I've eaten ice cream once since living aboard the boat. Now sardines, yum. Also, anybody tried the Greek fried smelt?

I don't think I've eaten ice cream once since living aboard the boat. Now sardines, yum. Also, anybody tried the Greek fried smelt?

Wifey B: I don't want anything that smells or smelt. :rofl:

Everyone likes a different flavor of ice cream so store bought is easier. :)

$100 a day! That defines us as rich! Sixty-five years ago we could do the same at $10.

Not much has changed then. $10 from 1950 = $101.50 once inflation is taken into account.

Back
Top Bottom