Old 05-21-2017, 11:31 PM   #101

City: Seattle and Bellingham
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
Well SM will belong in that show when she is done. Stem to stern, top to bottom she is all wood and classic wood at that. Defies her age.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:41 PM   #102
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I look forward to seeing her Bill, thanks for the scouting report.

Al I'll take a rain check on Trawler Fest this year. I chose to gut and remodel our house inside and out this summer and am already committed to a month out of state between now and September. At this rate I should finish putting my house back together by fall of 2018. I know I know, Jennifer is already threatening to strangle me but she likes the idea of brand new everything.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:48 PM   #103

Do any of you PNW folks know who besides Seaview can haul 60 tons within a few hours of Blaine? Looks like we will wrap up the 'at the dock' stuff this week. I can do Seaview but if someone has had good experience at another yard near here I would like to check it out.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #104
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Delta, but it's probably further than you want to go. They have 400 ton travel lift.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:17 PM   #105
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
You could try Philbrooks

Philbrooks Boatyard > Home

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:40 PM   #106

Thanks Ted and TT,
I would love to try Philbrooks, Sydney is real close and they have a great reputation. I am guessing they are jammed up but worth a try to call.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:08 PM   #107

It has been two years since we surveyed, trialed, and closed on this ship and about a year and half since we got her home from Holland.
I thought I would make a closing entry on this thread as the commissioning phase winds down (for now). We were out for a joy ride yesterday after several sea trials for various projects over the last year and a half. I think we are there in terms of cruise ready and planning a four day trip to Rosario on Orcas Is. for an athletic event that some of my family is participating in. We expect to sleep and feed nine for that weekend!
She exceeds my expectations would be a reasonable summary.
This seems to be a very stable platform.
At heavy as she is, you are not going to push her speed at all. The power plant is very comfortable at 1500 rpms and we gain virtually nothing past that. The industrial Mercedes is designed continuous duty and I have found no way possible to build engine, exhaust, or tranny temps.
I think I am going to love dry stacked and keel cooled.
Driving this boat has been an exceptionally pleasant surprise. It is big and heavy and you intuitively expect that to be difficult but she wants to stay where you put her. With the thruster and flanged rudder you can drive her exactly sideways when in close quarters. This is good since her weight precludes being able to do much at all with her lines in terms of moving her to where she needs to be at a dock. With less visibility to dock from this helm than Klee Wyck, we have taken to headsets so that I can put her exactly at station for Laurie to tie off. That has been working awesome.
The fuel management system project turned out really nice and very comforting. I will try to post some pics of the new very large dual Racor set up and new lines if I remember.
Electrical system conversion is a tribute to C-tech, the designer and installer and I can recommend them without reservation for a Euro conversion as well as for electrical protection on a steel hull.
The combination of the NFU jog steering and the AP70 is a real treat. That autopilot is really something in terms of what it will do and the conditions it can manage. Commissioning was not without some pain.
This radar is a crispness that I have never previously encountered.
I was hopeful about the two camera additions but do not really get much out of them. I would not repeat that choice.
This Euro boat stores both black and grey water for pump out only and I can tell you that doing chores on a 250 gallon holding tank is something you plan for in advance and block out some time.
Household size toilets are nice to use for sure but see above. They use a lot of water and create a large volume of waste water!
Diesel fired hot water heat thru radiators is an uncommon comfort in a PNW Winter. Klee Wyck has a Hurricane diesel furnace with forced air over coils which is quite nice, but I may like these radiators better. I am sure we spent 60 days on her since November and comfortable every minute. Never turned the furnace off during that time until yesterday. Now....walking out to her on G West 82 in Bellingham....not so much. Seven hundred steps each way in cold driving rain makes the comfort of her bosom even more rewarding when you finally get there!

I am sure there will be hiccups on the way, after all it is a boat, but this has turned out to be a very rewarding choice from my current perspective of pronouncing her cruise ready. There were points along the way where that was not completely clear, for sure.

Hope to see some of you out there and will be glad to provide tours of this unique beast. Beverage included of course, and perhaps even a piece of very fine cheese.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Libra.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	75583  
Old 04-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #108
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Excited for you! Love the ship!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:53 PM   #109
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
It has been two years since we surveyed, trialed, and closed on this ship and about a year and half since we got her home from Holland.
I thought I would make a closing entry on this thread as the commissioning phase winds down (for now). We were out for a joy ride yesterday after several sea trials for various projects over the last year and a half. I think we are there in terms of cruise ready and planning a four day trip to Rosario on Orcas Is. for an athletic event that some of my family is participating in. We expect to sleep and feed nine for that weekend!
She exceeds my expectations would be a reasonable summary.
This seems to be a very stable platform.
At heavy as she is, you are not going to push her speed at all. The power plant is very comfortable at 1500 rpms and we gain virtually nothing past that. The industrial Mercedes is designed continuous duty and I have found no way possible to build engine, exhaust, or tranny temps.
I think I am going to love dry stacked and keel cooled.
Driving this boat has been an exceptionally pleasant surprise. It is big and heavy and you intuitively expect that to be difficult but she wants to stay where you put her. With the thruster and flanged rudder you can drive her exactly sideways when in close quarters. This is good since her weight precludes being able to do much at all with her lines in terms of moving her to where she needs to be at a dock. With less visibility to dock from this helm than Klee Wyck, we have taken to headsets so that I can put her exactly at station for Laurie to tie off. That has been working awesome.
The fuel management system project turned out really nice and very comforting. I will try to post some pics of the new very large dual Racor set up and new lines if I remember.
Electrical system conversion is a tribute to C-tech, the designer and installer and I can recommend them without reservation for a Euro conversion as well as for electrical protection on a steel hull.
The combination of the NFU jog steering and the AP70 is a real treat. That autopilot is really something in terms of what it will do and the conditions it can manage. Commissioning was not without some pain.
This radar is a crispness that I have never previously encountered.
I was hopeful about the two camera additions but do not really get much out of them. I would not repeat that choice.
This Euro boat stores both black and grey water for pump out only and I can tell you that doing chores on a 250 gallon holding tank is something you plan for in advance and block out some time.
Household size toilets are nice to use for sure but see above. They use a lot of water and create a large volume of waste water!
Diesel fired hot water heat thru radiators is an uncommon comfort in a PNW Winter. Klee Wyck has a Hurricane diesel furnace with forced air over coils which is quite nice, but I may like these radiators better. I am sure we spent 60 days on her since November and comfortable every minute. Never turned the furnace off during that time until yesterday. Now....walking out to her on G West 82 in Bellingham....not so much. Seven hundred steps each way in cold driving rain makes the comfort of her bosom even more rewarding when you finally get there!

I am sure there will be hiccups on the way, after all it is a boat, but this has turned out to be a very rewarding choice from my current perspective of pronouncing her cruise ready. There were points along the way where that was not completely clear, for sure.

Hope to see some of you out there and will be glad to provide tours of this unique beast. Beverage included of course, and perhaps even a piece of very fine cheese.
If by any chance you come up here one day, I will be glad to take your invitation to tour her, but beverage will be mine! Enjoy!

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:38 PM   #110
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Thanks for the update and summary. I will keep an eye out for Libra whenever venture North.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:36 PM   #111
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Dang that's a mighty fine looking vessel

Hope to 'bump' into you on BC's north coast.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:35 AM   #112
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Glad for the update and looking forward to seeing and reading about the next phase in your Trawler life.

I had a question on this "I was hopeful about the two camera additions but do not really get much out of them. I would not repeat that choice". What would you do instead if you had the choice?
Old 04-27-2018, 09:09 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
Glad for the update and looking forward to seeing and reading about the next phase in your Trawler life.

I had a question on this "I was hopeful about the two camera additions but do not really get much out of them. I would not repeat that choice". What would you do instead if you had the choice?
Alan,
No big deal, just an off the cuff comment on that issue I guess.
The two views I created were engine room with one camera and rear view with a pair, one for each stern quarter.
Usual reasons for the engine room camera but I am finding that it does not reduce my frequency of trips downstairs to have a look around as the camera has a limited view and I want to see the whole room so down I go. I am sure I considered the chance to see a fire before it was out of control but with two monitors and lots of choices of what to display, what are the chances that I have the camera displayed when that happens? I like to watch radar, chart, and seabed much more so rarely display the engine room camera. At least that one was easy and cheap since the wire chase was existing and convenient.
Rear view pair: I overestimated the degree to which rear view was restricted compared to Klee Wyck. Turns out that is pretty easy without the cameras and unlike the engine room camera, this one was a pain to make the runs from rear to helm. Overall, useful, but probably not worth the few days of work to do it as I never feel great about taking great interior joinery apart and putting back together. I suspect these cameras will get very little use as time goes by so just a waste in general.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:39 AM   #114
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Very nice, Bill! She sits proud in the water!

How heavy is heavy? I bet it takes a while to warm up the entire vessel after being cold-soaked. I'd keep the heater on, too!

Any chance for a video tour of your fine vessel? Many of us will probably never get another chance to see one just like her.

I'll certainly look you up when I come to the area next. I'll bring the red wine and IPAs to compliment your cheese!

Cheers!
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:35 PM   #115

Thanks Al,

Last time in the slings at half load she was 126,000#.
No video tour yet but I like the thread you started and will hope to provide a post there at some point. I need my young drone operator!

I will look forward to your visit!
Old 04-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #116
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Fine looking boat. I wish you many fantastic and wonderful hours at sea.
From the outside, looks like it will survive no matter if you remember to close the doors and windows.