Old 11-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

RE: A long way home

Eric:

Thanks for straightening me out ... time-wise ... on your trip log.

With respect to the weather forecasting/reporting statements you made above:
1. Richard Cook knows the B.C. - Southeast waters.* His advice has been succinct and accurate.* He goes places, y'know?* He understands what he is doing out there.* I take him at his word.
2. The Strait of Georgia is a wonderful teacher.**You can learn most of what you need to know about boat handling, for extended trips North, right here in the SOG from Haro Strait to the tide change area at the North end.* Once you have also learned how to handle the Rapids, Johnstone Strait, and Cape Caution, you appreciate how to apply what you have learned to similar situations farther North.**

For me, the 2 parts of the CCG (and USCG in Alaskan waters) weather reports are equally important.* The forecast is updated every 6 hours, for the several large forecasting areas nearest your boat's location.* The Lighthouse reports are updated every 3 hours, and the Automated reports and Ocean Buoys reports*are updated hourly for their specific locations.

The CCG forecast for a given area covers a 24 hour period with an outlook for the following 24 hours, and now includes a 5 day extended forecast.* For the area "Strait of Georgia - North of Nanaimo" they are trying to cover an area from Northumberland Channel, just North and East of Nanaimo, all the way to the South entrance to Discovery Passage, just South of Campbell River, covering the East side of Vancouver Island, and an area from Greater Vancouver to the entrance to Desolation Sound on the Mainland shore.* They try to do this with one number or range for wind speed and direction, and another for sea conditions, which gives the worst case scenario for the entire area for that time period, so that scaredy-cats like me can stay put in our secure little anchorages, and let you brave guys go poke your noses out to see if they are lying.* <grin>* There is no way you can give one number that applies to the current weather in Northumberland Channel, Discovery Passage, Desolation Sound and the*Sunshine Coast at one point in time.* Can you imagine how long the report would be if the forecast included separate predictions for Boundary Bay, the Fraser River, Vancouver Harbour, the South Sunshine Coast, Jervis Inlet, Princess Louisa, Sechelt Inlet, the North Sunshine Coast, Malaspina Inlet, and Desolation Sound, and the several local divisions of the East shore?* The SOG reporting stations for the Mainland shore are Grief Point, Merry Island, Halibut Banks, Point Atkinson, and Sand Heads.* The Vancouver Island shore has Cape Mudge, Sentry Shoal, Cape Lazo, Chrome Island, Sister's Island, Ballenas Island, Entrance Island, and East Point.* The boater needs to know where the reporting station is located, and the weather factors that influence the report at that station.* If there were reporting stations for every nook and cranny and point on the route, neither of us would ever stay tuned for the entire broadcast.

The scale of the area covered by the forecast may be much greater than I want (and need) to know about in the next hour.* The reporting format would*not accomodate a report from more closely spaced stations that might be advantageous to me right now.* Scale and time are huge factors in interpreting the WX reports.

The individual boater has to listen to what he gets on WX and use his experience to decide what might be happening around the bend ahead of him or on the other side of the island.* He has to interpret what he hears from the reporting stations ahead of him and decide how that will affect him when he gets there in an hour or two when the tide and current will be reversing.

I think they call it "Local Knowledge".

I'm stayin' !* More coffee?

OS***

Edited for typos and memory lapses.

-- Edited by Old_Salt at 14:13, 2008-11-28

Old_Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -

Thanks for your summary of the weather info that's available in the SOG area. We used these reports all the time during our three-week Desolation Sound area cruise in September. What was rather amusing, though, was to hear local area comments on the weather pertaining to areas were were either in or had just transited. For example, the day we went from Rebbecca Spit to Comox, Cape Mudge was being reported as having fog plus smoke covering the whole area. It was clear as a bell when we went through it. We encountered a few other similar discrepancies in the current conditions section of the broadcast at other times in the cruise. Your point about the general conditions and forecast being geared to the worst conditions likely to occur in the whole SOG area is well-taken, however.

For people not familiar with the Strait of Georgia area, here are three shots of the Chrome Island lightstation (one of the current weather and water conditions reporting stations) that I took as we went by it. I believe some of the stations in BC like this one are still manned. I can think of worse places to spend my days.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome 1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	812   Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome 2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	813   Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome 3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	814  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

oldfishboat guy:

I'm with you all the way, Willy!* There's nothing like a 180 degree turn, on the crest of a wave,*to send the coffee cup and/or it's contents flying!

On the bright side, you can find out quite a bit about the minimum turning radius of your boat.*

OS
Old 12-01-2008, 09:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Eric:

In your Oct. 8 post you said,"What we would see for the next 16 days or so we would see from our own boat for the last time so everything seemed a bit more special."

That could be interpreted as meaning that you aren't planning on returning to the Lower 48 by boat, ever again, and maybe not leaving Alaska again.* Then I will have to get back to Thorne Bay to see Nomadwilly.* What a shame!

OS
Old 12-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Old Salt,

Well ya got that figured out. No I don't plan on comming back. I may make a trip around the west including Flagstaf and Utah. Prolly about March. Got an old Buick ( 73 ) and I don't need it up here so maybe I'll make a last cruise with the old girl. If I do I hope the gas price stays low. Yea you guys will just have to polish up your bilges, cast off and get on up here. Late April early May is best. Hey - *we could have a rondy here and then you guys could go off to the magic places. Just a bit of fuel and time.

Eric Henning.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #26
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Eric:

Keep me posted on your "Western Swing" as we have a home* in Sedona, AZ. (27 miles south of Flag) Sedona is at 4500' and Flag is at 7000'. Sedona is the prettier of the two but both are nice. We could offer up a night* or two lodging and you can't beat our rates. (free!)

Walt
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sedona house - 1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	818  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

If I lived in SE Alaska, had a boat suited for my purposes, and had everything else I needed to live my life the way I wanted I'd have no reason whatsoever to come down to the lower (i.e. crappier) 48 either. Actually lower 49--- Hawaii is something of a sh*t hole, too (I'm qualified to say that having grown up and lived there from 1955 to 1979).

Why settle for less when you've got the best?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #28
Guru

Hi Walt,

Thank you very much and I will keep you posted. Never did tell me about the diferent pictures. It's offically not winter yet but it's getting colder .. will be in the teens tonight. We cut three comunity Christmas trees today as a group of 7. After the trees were in the trailer we stood around for a while drinking hot chocalat with marshmellows and pepermint Sphnapps .. pretty good at 24 degrees. Marin, life here is wonderful but I do miss the " outside ". You need to be very independent to live in a place like Prince of Wales. If you came to SE you'd be better off in Juneau or Ketchikan. People walk all over town. I offer them rides and they almost never take the ride ... just too independent. I love being away from all that tacky stuff like fast food, big gas stations, parking lots, patronizing stuff like clowns on the sidewalk and music in stores. Sure wish I had covered moorage but I like the fact that mine only costs 1/6 as much.

Eric Henning
Old 12-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Back to the SOG weather for just a mo':

How about today's forecast?*

OS

Environment Canada's Official Text Forecasts
*Choose a Province or Territory
AB* |* BC* |* MB* |* NB* |* NL* |* NS* |* NT* |
* NU* |* ON* |* PE* |* QC* |* SK* |* YT*
<h2 style="margin:auto 0cm auto 112.5pt;border:medium none;padding:0cm;">Marine Forecasts for the Pacific waters</h2>
* NOTE: Corrected and/or amended bulletins are listed first *<pre style="background:#FFFFFF;margin-left:112.5pt;">*</pre><pre style="background:#FFFFFF;margin-left:112.5pt;">FQCN13 CWVR 031200</pre><pre style="background:#FFFFFF;margin-left:112.5pt;">Marine forecasts for Pacific waters issued by
Environment Canada at
4:00 a.m. PST Wednesday 3 December 2008
for today tonight and Thursday.</pre><pre style="background:#FFFFFF;margin-left:112.5pt;">The next scheduled forecasts will be issued
at 10:30 a.m.Fog implies visibility
less than 1 mile.*</pre><pre style="background:#FFFFFF;margin-left:112.5pt;">Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo.</pre><pre style="background:#FFFFFF;margin-left:112.5pt;">Wind light.

</pre>
Old 12-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Eric:*

My examination of our relative courses during August (when we left Port Edward for our return to Halfmoon Bay) leads me to believe we were fated to miss each other from the get-go.*

On Aug.1, you left Shearwater for Bottleneck Inlet (I agree - great anchorage - I usually take the kayak for a paddle up the creek at the end of the flood.).* We left Port Edward, south of Rupert, at 8 am and took Ogden Channel to Petrel Channel, where we pulled into Captain Cove at 2 pm after 32 nm.* We had no commitments at home until late September, so no need to hurry, and our preference, whenever time permits, is to take a different route home.*

On Aug.2, we left at 9:30 am taking Petrel Channel down towards Principe Channel.* We poked around in the Anger Islands for a couple of hours before parking in Ire Inlet at 3:30 pm about 33 nm traveled.* Nice spot.* You were traveling Bottleneck to Hartley Bay.* At this point, we were about 25 nm apart with Pitt Island between us.*

On Aug.3 at 0800 you were long gone from Hartley Bay (probably near Lowe Inlet) and doing 4.2 knots up The Ditch and dodging the B.C Ferry.* We were about 12 nm West of Lowe Inlet, firing up the beasts at 8:12 am and went 44 nm to Cameron Cove at the South end of Whale Channel by 2:30 pm.* Strangers in the night.*

That Ferry took three runs at me on the way North this year.* What a wake!*

So we blew a chance for a "Hello!" on the water, probably somewhere in The Ditch, by choosing to take the middle route South.* We will have to catch you in Thorne Bay another summer, Eric.*

OS
Old 12-09-2008, 10:43 PM   #31
Guru

Old Salt,

It was nice to hear hour by hour how we passed. Why do you keep mentioning Port Edwards .. it's only an industrial port .. isn't it ? No place to tie up or do anything else in a yacht .. is there ? On our previous trip north we came south the same way via Perincipe Channel and anchored in Princess Diana Inlet. We didn't have a chart plotter on that boat and I didn't want to deal with all the rocks around Anger Island and Ire Inlet. Princess Diana is kind of a small Bottle Neck Inlet. Perfect anchorage but when we were there there was a run of Jelly fish. With a bucket you could dip 6 or 7 every time. You went close to Larsen Harbour .. the prefered starting point for an east/west passage across Hecate Stait to the Queen Charolette Islands at Queen Charolette City. On the 03 trip we left our boat in Prince Rupert and took the ferry to QC City and rented a car. Had a wonderful time.

Eric Henning
Old 12-09-2008, 11:24 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Eric:

We have, prior to this summer, always stayed at the Prince Rupert Yacht Club or at Rushbrook when in Rupert.* As a Canadian boat, I always stop at Rupert to call ahead to US Customs in Ketchikan to let 'em know we're coming and to request permission to anchor out in Alaskan waters on the way.* In 2007, when I traveled the Mainland Coast of B.C. I stayed in Rupert on 3 different occasions.* The new Canadian Commercial fishing regs make it real tough on the pleasure boater in Rupert when the fleet is in town, waiting for an opening.* The place was a zoo.* Too many boats chose Rupert as their designated territory, and the harbour was jammed.* At Rushbrook, they were rafted 4 and 5 deep.* I had to come in for repairs, and the boat took a beating while I was there.

This year, I stopped at Tsum Tsadai on the way up and looked into Port Edward to check it out, and find my pal, the former HM at Rushbrook, in charge at Port Edward.* He showed me the ropes -*Best parking spots, where the best water was, how to get into town by bus, etc.* I had to be in Rupert July 31 to meet my wife at the airport, and he arranged for shuttles and rides for us from Port Edward, so I came back there after doing POWI.* I handled all the Canadian Customs requirements by phone from the yellow float in Fairview, and anchored out in Russell Arm when I had to be in Rupert, for an oil change or fuel.**

The combination of staying at the Port Edward Public Floats (they are up at the North end of Porpopise Harbour, near the Railway bridge) and riding the bus into Rupert (only 15-20 min.) and anchoring out*along the North shore*in Rupert Harbour will probably be the way I go from now on.

OS**
Old 12-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #33
Guru

Old Salt,

Here is what the back channel at Port Protection looks like from the other end at low tide.

Eric Henning
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	117_117smaller.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	834  
Old 12-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #34
Veteran Member

A long way home

That's it!* I passed by on my way along the shoreline from Point Baker to Wooden Wheel Cove and the settlement at Port Protection.* Port Protection is and ideal overnight for anyone headed down the West side of POWI.* I chose the spot South of the Narrows down at the South end, East of the two islands with the 100' and 200' contours shown.* Not much traffic down there, only a couple of kayakers.*

Chart17378 shows Port Protection* and the route from Wooden Wheel Cove up through this passage to Point Baker.

OS

-- Edited by Old_Salt at 09:08, 2008-12-18
Old 12-28-2008, 12:51 AM   #35
Scraping Paint

Eric---

Since you can now apparently attach photos to your posts, do you have any nice shots that you took along your trip back north that you'd be willing to put up here for the rest of us to see.* I've flown the Inside Passage many times in a Beaver but other than my first exposure to the Passage in 1977 on the "Queen of Prince Rupert" ferry (the trip that convinced me to move from Hawaii to the PNW in 1979) I've not seen it from water level.* If you have a selection of shots of what you saw on your way north I'm sure a lot of us would enjoy seeing them.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #36
Guru

South Thorne Bay
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	104_104south arm.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	844  
Old 12-31-2008, 05:40 PM   #37
Guru

Hi Yall,

Marin thanks for your input. It helped. The dumb dial up just won't load em up .. and then only a small picture. I'll have Hughs Net 2 - 3 weeks..
The 1st pic is off Wallace Group .. East side of Jhonstone Strait. The second is at the crowded public floats at Prince Rupert.

Eric Henning
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	093_93  wallace group.jpg
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	845   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_101  rupert p floats.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	846  
Old 12-31-2008, 06:38 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

A long way home

Great shots Eric. We've been in the Wallace Group in our Arima when we've gone halibut fishing out of Telegraph Cove.* Your shot does a great job of capturing the mood of the area.

I hadn't realized you have a dial-up connection, and you're right, that will make it very time-consuming to post photos. But any you are willing to post will be appreciated. It's beautiful country between here and SE Alaska, and in our experience in the plane, our halibut fishing trips, and on our Desolation Sound cruise a few months go, it just gets better and better the farther up you go.

-- Edited by Marin at 19:40, 2008-12-31
Old 01-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Whimsy
Vessel Model: Camano 31

Eric:

You keep posting neat pics of some of our favorite spots.* Don't over do it or you'll be inundated w/ boaters from CA plus those of us from the PNW.* Hope your not too frozen in this winter.* Thanks for the tip about Prince Rupert, we'll check it out on the way up this summer.*

You probably have mentioned who the manufacturer of "Nomadwilly" (do I have the name right?) is but I would like to know - sort of looks like a Willard to me.

Tom

A few pics to remind us why we love the PNW & SE AK.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_1929.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	851   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0449.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	852  
CamanoFolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #40
Guru

Hi Tom,

**** It takes about 20 days to get here in a proper trawler. Lots of fuel and time. Then one wants to go cruising and then it's 20 days back. Most never get past Desolation Sound but some get to the Broughtons and most of them won't go past Queen Charolette Sound. That leaves* .. in a word*.. few. A proper SE Alaska cruise takes two months and about 2000 miles underway with all the fuel and maintance involved. But you know that Tom.
The boat is indeed a Willard. During shopping days we called her Willy .. short for Willard .. and it stuck. Previous names were Grey Whale Pendragon and some other lovely name. The guy we bought her from didn't name her. So she's or he's Willy now. There were 5 different 30' Willard models ... ours was the Nomad.
Pics are* 1.* View from the New York Hotel .. our favorite in Ketchikan
*************2.* Sakar River .. short .. mostly tideal between Sakar Lake and Sakar Cove.

Eric Henning
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	065_65  ny hotel view.jpg
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	853   Click image for larger version

Name:	014_14  sakar river.jpg
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	854