Old 07-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
My sights are on the Down East Loop; up the Hudson, then the Champlain and Richelieu to the St. Lawrence, around Nova Scotia and back to Maine.
We have done most everything from the Mississippi east to the eastern boarder of the Caribbean. We still consider the Down East Loop to be our best cruising. The people, scenery and waters of eastern Canada are terrific. Only problem is the shortness of the season means you go in as early as weather will allow and leave when you have to leave. You will wish you could spend twice the time.

Good traveling.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #22
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Mini-Loops

I love the idea of mini-loops. Even a small loop instills a great sense of pride and accomplishment for those with limited time and limited resources.
It's not the 'just to say I did it' thing although that could be a large part of it. It's also the exploring of new places that you may never have gone to if you didn't set it as a goal. So what else does a mini-loop do? It shows you some really great marinas and anchorages that you may otherwise have never known about ANNNND... now you know where you want to go back to, to spend some more time.

It's a way of doing a lot of travelling and seeing twice as much as if you went to a place half the distance and returned by the same route.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #23
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I enjoy cruising whether it's a loop (haven't done any) or what the norm here is cruising up or down the river and returning. I hope to head south this fall to Alabama or Mississippi to winter and return in the spring. After the trip thru Lake Michigan last month I really want to spend a few weeks on it, a loop up the Wisconsin side and down the Michigan side should do. May do that next year and then go south for the winter.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #24
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Ron

Going south for the winter is never a bad idea.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #25
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
We have done most everything from the Mississippi east to the eastern boarder of the Caribbean. We still consider the Down East Loop to be our best cruising. The people, scenery and waters of eastern Canada are terrific. Only problem is the shortness of the season means you go in as early as weather will allow and leave when you have to leave. You will wish you could spend twice the time.

Good traveling.
Thanks, I'll keep your words in mind when I wonder if I'm crazy to want to do a trip so many have never even heard of!

Did you make it to Newfoundland at all? I know it's a stretch goal, but I was thinking if the season wasn't too far along when I got to the Cape Breton area, I might try to head up that way.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #26
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Did you make it to Newfoundland at all? I know it's a stretch goal, but I was thinking if the season wasn't too far along when I got to the Cape Breton area, I might try to head up that way.
We did not make it to Newfoundland.

Our insurance company (well known trawler insurer) required a separate endorsement and application to be authorized to go east of Quebec City. This we passed with ease. This authorization did not allow us to go east of the Bra d'Or and specifically not Newfoundland.

To go to Newfoundland we would need to contact the insurance company within 72 hours or leaving for Newfoundland and they would study the weather forecast. In addition any authorization resulting would be limited to the southern end of Newfoundland.

While we were in Nova Scotia late in August a Nordhavn 62 was interested and planning to go to Newfoundland. Many locals and finally the Canadian Coast guard pleaded with them not to go at that time of year, the weather was too unpredictable. Don't know what happened, we left to go to Maine as the weather was closing in. Spent 48 hours in pea soup and didn't see the sun for a few days and we were in Bar Harbor Maine.

With acknowledgement to our Canadian friends it is Newfoundland and Labrador.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #27
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Pea soup fog is a regular inconvenience in Northern New England (Maine,NH). cruising boats should be ready for it at any and all times while in these waters.
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #28
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Pea soup fog is a regular inconvenience in Northern New England (Maine,NH). cruising boats should be ready for it at any and all times while in these waters.
Agreed
Old 07-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #29

City: Interior Texas
Vessel Name: Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Model: 1987 Sea Ray AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
the big difference is you want to do it rather than feel the need to "check it off the list"...to feel you are in a "club" of certain cruisers....

An interesting perspective, that about being in a "club".....

Not to take this down the proverbial rabbit hole but life suggests that we all desire to belong to a club. Be it TF, or the "I own a real trawler and you don't" perspective or any other association we may define ourselves by. People are inherently tribal. And if my life's experiences have taught me anything, it's that most everyone wants to be associated with a successful tribe. For some, it's the tribe of "lists" and the the need to earn stripes (checks if you will). If it's boating, and the passion is true, let them earn their stripes I say.

~ Gary ~

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #30
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Ready for it meaning having good working Radar and the knowledge to properly use and read it, an AIS transponder, having the hailer set to broadcast fog signals and when it permits the use of a FLIR this depends on the fog makeup. Did I miss anything? Having a good heading sensor for when you occassionally lose GPS lock knowing where your boat's bow is in relation to the chart.
If you don't feel comfortable wait it out don't leave the dock or anchorage.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
If you don't feel comfortable wait it out don't leave the dock or anchorage.
Bill
To a point, but then again, I'll admit I don't feel comfortable in fog, although I have been in it countless times.
I also feel that this lack of comfort also heightens my awareness and makes me more cautious. Which is a good thing.
But I don't think I'll ever feel totally comfortable.
I be a fair weather boater, and proud to admit it!
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #32
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
To go to Newfoundland we would need to contact the insurance company within 72 hours or leaving for Newfoundland and they would study the weather forecast. In addition any authorization resulting would be limited to the southern end of Newfoundland.

While we were in Nova Scotia late in August a Nordhavn 62 was interested and planning to go to Newfoundland. Many locals and finally the Canadian Coast guard pleaded with them not to go at that time of year, the weather was too unpredictable. Don't know what happened, we left to go to Maine as the weather was closing in. Spent 48 hours in pea soup and didn't see the sun for a few days and we were in Bar Harbor Maine.

With acknowledgement to our Canadian friends it is Newfoundland and Labrador.
Good information, thanks! If the locals and the CG were recommending against going to Newfoundland in a Nordhavn, I think I should just scratch that from my wish list. I wasn't planning to get to Labrador anyway.

Fog I can deal with, but I'll avoid it when possible. Bar Harbor isn't a bad place to wait out the worst of it. Although I usually stay in Northeast Harbor instead. I passed through Penobscot Bay about a half-dozen times before I ever actually SAW it. You don't get far in Maine without running through fog once in a while.

CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote