Leaving Knoxville for south Florida on a 4788

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone ever go UP the Ten Tom waterway? What's the current like?

Last edited:
Does anyone over go UP the Ten Tom waterway? What's the current like?

Yes, people go up and down it. We went to Columbus from the TN river and then back up years ago. Current is only a real problem seasonally with a lot of rain and water being released. More current on the Black Warrior/Tombigbee section below Demopolis. Above that the locks and dams reduce the current. There are people here who have gone up it.

Even on a slow 7kn boat? I remember going against the current through Nola on the Mississippi, and I could barely make headway. It was at flood stage then I think however.

Don't know if I will ever do the entire loop through the Great Lakes, but the Ten Tom looks interesting.

Even on a slow 7kn boat? I remember going against the current through Nola on the Mississippi, and I could barely make headway. It was at flood stage then I think however.

Don't know if I will ever do the entire loop through the Great Lakes, but the Ten Tom looks interesting.

Tn Tom is nothing like the Mississippi in regard to current.

Love the pictures David :thumb::thumb:

I believe I remember your name from my trip "left marathon for Tennessee. And it was July 13 when I came around from Va. the current was very strong and I even got stranded at Florence for a few days because of lock closures.
It gave me time to visit I wouldn't have taken.
I have never stayed at any marina in my travels that I wouldn't go back to. When you travel by boat the people are very very friendly and want to share with you. If they don't have a loaner car there's always someone offering to take you to town
You want to have business cards to trade..

That would be great. Shoot me an email when you get back and we'll buy dinner.

Sounds like a plan. We will be leaving here the day after tomorrownad will probably layover for a month or so in Biloxi, Ms visiting friens and family. Then we will head back to Seabrook. Hopefully, I will get a covered slip in Blue Dolphin.

We laid over for a day at bay springs marina. A little pricey, no wifi or phone service. They were very friendly. We met our friend Brian there and he showed us around including Elvis Presley's birth place. Great time thank you Brian

We laid over for a day at bay springs marina. A little pricey, no wifi or phone service. They were very friendly. We met our friend Brian there and he showed us around including Elvis Presley's birth place. Great time thank you Brian

As the only marina for Tupelo residents, guess they can afford to be a little pricey.

I am enjoying your journey. As I sit presently boatless; AND miss immensely the area of the country where you are presently cruising....I thrill at your pictures, your stories, your journey.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

I think most loopers anchor out at Bay Springs. It is one of the prettiest lakes on the entire loop, lots of great well protected secluded anchorages. The usual marina stop is Midway, 20 miles and 3 locks down stream. Midway has wifi, courtesy car, inexpensive transient rates and a nearby Walmart for provisioning. It is also the closest marina to Tupelo.

IMG_1480519081.066136.jpg
Came back to midway marina in Fulton Mississippi after dinner and found our boat drifting with lines,cleats and part of a power pedistal in tow.

IMG_1480519253.186859.jpg
The spot straight ahead is where I started the evening. And when I came back it was Floating about where it is now. It just sat in the middle I was about ready to jump in but a wind came up and blew it right to us. Miracle

IMG_1480519498.278061.jpg
You can see just how lucky or blessed we were

I'm waiting to download some updates on software and we'll move to the next adventure.

Wow! I assume this was an unexpected storm? You are indeed a lucky dude.

That has to be the worst feeling, coming back to the dock and seeing your boat floating away. This has not happened to me....yet.

Only thing missing was a plague of locusts and death of the firstborn male child. Be safe David.

Strangest has to be seeing it floating away and then realizing that was fortunate.

OMG! I left the boat on Saturday at Midway because I had to come home for a family emergency. my friends John and Ladonna who I w traveling with stayed a couple of days then moved on and were anchored about 50 miles downstream. I was talking with them last night as the tornado sirens were going off in the background. They swung around quite a bit but didn't come unstuck.

The people at Midway are good people. Took me to the airport and wouldn't accept the twenty I tried to give them. On the way to the airport the driver detoured and gave me a tour of Tupelo including showing us Elvis birthplace. God bless them.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

My only time on the TN Tom, we were with some acquaintances on a Sea Ray and stopped at Midway on the way back up. I remember the people as very nice, but most of all I remember walking up the hill to the restaurant and saying I'd like water, about a gallon. Well, the waitress brought two huge pitchers to the table and said she was use to very thirsty boaters coming there. I told her they should just give the food away and would be able to charge anything they wanted for the water. I don't even remember if the food was good or not, but the water sure was. We docked there and a boat with two older couples was following us up the TN Tom and did as well. I think they were in a Silverton but I couldn't swear to it now.

Waitin on the John Stennis lock in Columbus MS.
IMG_1480544575.704029.jpg
IMG_1480544638.551981.jpgIMG_1480544659.406325.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom