Old 11-09-2015, 08:47 AM   #101
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Many good anchorages have been mentioned along that route. I would caution against tying to any red flagged barge. It could be very dangerous to many in the area and make for a very bad day. Kartracer will show you the hospitality that S. La. is known for. I just spent a very enjoyable day or so down that way. You might also want to visit the Tobasco Plant at Avery Island, I believe it is up Bayou Petit Anse.

Safe Travels

ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:07 AM   #102

City: Orange Texas
Shoot me a message when you get to the Texas state line will buy you dinner here as well �� Sabine river offers plenty of safe anchorages right off the ICW would love to hear some stories

Heyfishnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #103

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Mike
Saw you pass under the Cypremort Point Bridge on the GICW around 8am. I was waiting on Dimer2 and Ray to come by to take a few pictures. Your making good time. Sorry to have missed you would have loved to visit you at my camp. Blue (Dimer2)& Ray spend two nights at the Point and left this at 7am today. Great looking botany the way. Stay in touch and have a safe trip.
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #104
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Time for a Break

We are anchored in the Mermentau River. We have been moving pretty good but it is time for a break. This is the best place we have found to anchor since Destin Harbor. We will stay at least one more night if not two. It is so nice to be stopped. It is also nice to only have to use one anchor. On Wednesday night the only place we could find to anchor was in the mouth of a little canal off the ICW. We used four anchors to hold us in place. It was not fun pulling them all up the next morning. It was so nice to just relax yesterday afternoon and enjoy the anchorage. I think I might take the dingy out today and look around.

We are not near much of anything here which is good. This is the kind of anchorage that I like. The funny thing is that we do not have cell phone service but did find an unsecured wifi to connect to, so we have internet but no phone. That is a first.

We have been running 9 or 10 hour days and not making bad time for a slow trawler. 958 nautical miles so far. It has been a little over 5 weeks since we left the Keys. I have thoroughly enjoyed the trip all the way up to New Orleans, but honestly the last 220 miles have just been work. Don't get me wrong some of it has been nice. It does seem that the further west we get the better it gets. I can not wait to hit Texas. I did not realize that there was so much ship building going on in Louisiana. We have passed a lot of ship yards. They are interesting to look at as you go by.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6750.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	46473

Name:	IMG_6779.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	46474

Name:	IMG_6691.jpg
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	46475

Name:	IMG_6711.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	46476

Name:	IMG_6701.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	46477

Name:	IMG_6702.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	46478

Name:	IMG_6746.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	46479

Name:	IMG_6751.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	46480

Name:	IMG_6785.jpg
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	46481

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #105
Guru

ddalme, sorry we missed you as well. Did you happen to get any pics of us at the bridge?

Heyfinshnfool, we do plan on anchoring on the Sabine river. I do not know what dingy dock access will be like. We will see what we can work out.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:15 PM   #106

City: Mississippi
Those big orange ships under construction in your photos belong to Edison Chouest Offshore, Inc. When I was in banking they were my largest customer - great private company that is probably the largest private employer in Louisiana. They build, own and operate vessels for the oil industry, research (Woods Hole/Robert Ballard), US Navy (submarine tugs).... was very fascinating working with them.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:09 PM   #107

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
ddalme, sorry we missed you as well. Did you happen to get any pics of us at the bridge?

Heyfinshnfool, we do plan on anchoring on the Sabine river. I do not know what dingy dock access will be like. We will see what we can work out.
Yes-but only after you passed on the west side-I was taken by surprise-you are really honking on. Next time you are thru here contact me, we can get together for a visit.
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:12 PM   #108
Veteran Member

City: Gulfport Ms.
Vessel Name: Shema
Vessel Model: 78 heritage West Indian 36 trawler
Man I remember all that, just drove that area a few months ago. From Tx. you make me want take a trip so bad. Got my new stainless parts today. Will install on Sunday. Y'all have a safe trip and sorry I missed ya. Work has been really busy lately.
Timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:28 AM   #109
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Ready2go, we passed you about 5 miles west of Freshwater City (Shell Morgan Dock), as Doug said. We were the blue hulled Jarvis Newman and the dirty but white Bayliner. The Sabine river anchorage is a good one.
Safe travels!
Old 11-14-2015, 09:07 PM   #110
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
In addition to Edison Chouest with 200+ ships and all their shipyards, you also have Harvey Gulf Marine building in the same area. One thing that makes this such a booming area for ships is serving the offshore oil industry.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:30 AM   #111
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Chouest bought Westport Yachts out here in the PNW about a year and a half ago from Orrin Edson, Bayliner and Westport's founder. As a part of the deal, Edson got a nice new 164' Westport. A friend was his captain on his old one, Evviva and will be the captain on the new one.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:09 AM   #112
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Ready2go, we passed you about 5 miles west of Freshwater City (Shell Morgan Dock), as Doug said. We were the blue hulled Jarvis Newman and the dirty but white Bayliner. The Sabine river anchorage is a good one.
Safe travels!
I wondered if that was you. I think we were overtaking a barge at the time. I know all too well about "dirty but white". Anchoring in Louisiana mud every night has taken it's toll on our white decks. Can't wait to get somewhere so I can scrub the boat down. Have a good trip and safe travels.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:35 AM   #113
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Chouest bought Westport Yachts out here in the PNW about a year and a half ago from Orrin Edson, Bayliner and Westport's founder. As a part of the deal, Edson got a nice new 164' Westport. A friend was his captain on his old one, Evviva and will be the captain on the new one.
New one has already been put to quite a bit of use.

There is one thing that really distinguishes Orin Edson and the Chouest family from so many owners of boat builders and ship builders. They are lovers of boats through and through. Chouest is multigenerational and multi sibling. They also own ACY (American Custom Yachts) which build SF boats. The fish in tournaments too. As to Edson, he started when he was a kid selling six wooden boats from the yard of a tar company. That led to founding Bayliner. Then later he owned Pacific Mariner and then Westport. Now the other thing they both have is very deep pockets so they can survive and thrive in the ups and downs of the industries they are in. One other thing. They're both just very classy very decent people.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #114
Guru

We have been anchored in an ox bow just off the Calcasieu River since Saturday night. We saw the wind predicted that we are now getting and decided to ride it out here in a nice anchorage rather than getting it while anchored in a small canal somewhere. I am glad we did as it has really been blowing today. It is supposed to die down this evening. If it does we will be back on the road again in the morning.

I am so happy that we are now past all the locks and pontoon bridges. It should be a pleasant three days into Clear Lake. We have tried not to have a schedule on this trip, but it is now getting close to Thanksgiving and it is time to get there. The next three days look good so hopefully it will be a nice finish to the trip. We finally got a marina nailed down today. We got a slip at Seabrook Marina. I am not thrilled about being in a marina for 4 months but I guess there are worse things in life. Now that I think about it there are much worse things.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #115
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
We left Seabrook a month or so ago. We hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Safe travels.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:59 AM   #116
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
We left Seabrook a month or so ago. We hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Safe travels.

Blue,
Every time we've made the trip over (or from) Clear Lake we were on a 4 day schedule. WRONG... I've promised myself any future trips will allow for a much more relaxed cruise....

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 11-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #117
Guru

We made it to Clear Lake yesterday. It was a good trip. The last 10 to 15 miles of the GIWW were the toughest though. More tows than anyone would want to deal with. The run up the bay was very choppy. As we were coming into the entrance to Clear Lake we saw a power boat coming out. I said to my wife I can't believe anyone would come out in this if they didn't have to. He bounce abit and then turned around and went back in. We followed him in and are now tied up at Seabrook Marina.

A few stats for the trip.
44 days.
1123 nautical miles
1302 statute miles
300 gallons of diesel
210 engine hours
1.42 gallons per hour average
No mechanical breakdowns (other than replacing the anchor roller)

Very happy with my 38 year old boat.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:51 PM   #118
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Nice results. Well Done!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 11-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #119
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Haha, my trips are usually more like this:

180 miles
4 days
24 hours on engines
300 gallons of gas
1.4 breakdowns per hour

Generally frustrated with my 25 year old boat.

I'm glad you had a good trip, here's to many more!
Old 11-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #120
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
READY2GO - Interesting numbers, 3.75 nmpg at 5.35 nmph. Is that on a single engine? We've come close to that on twin engines but I think we had a big help from the tide and the wind on that trip.

BobH is offline   Reply With Quote