Old 10-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #81
Guru

City: kemah
The big sand bar just inside the bridge on the west side is real popular on the weekends. I've seen over a hundred boats stacked on it.

what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:44 PM   #82
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Haha, me too forklift! Those would have been real hungry dogs and an aerial view would have been difficult in 1536.... you win a free beer when I get to Gulfport in about 10 days

Ur on Dimer2!! Actually I'm a live a board now as of a month ago. Had to move down to Point Cadet but if have your transient slip set up at Gulfport I'll run down down to see ya. Fixing to PM cell #.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Old 10-31-2015, 09:50 PM   #83
Veteran Member

City: Gulfport Ms.
Vessel Name: Shema
Vessel Model: 78 heritage West Indian 36 trawler
Would like to meet both of you in Gulfport. Been watching your trip the whole way. Forklift you are full time live aboard now?
Still working on my ride, getting some stainless steel installed as so as the other part comes in.
Timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:06 PM   #84
Veteran Member

City: Boyd, Texas
Vessel Name: Cat Daddy
Vessel Model: PDQ mv/34
Thanks Mike, we had a great time meeting you guys. We are anchored at St George Island waiting for parts. Will pick them up Monday in Appalachicola. Hopefully then on to Steinhatchee.
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:18 AM   #85
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetraveler View Post
Would like to meet both of you in Gulfport. Been watching your trip the whole way. Forklift you are full time live aboard now?

Still working on my ride, getting some stainless steel installed as so as the other part comes in.

Timetraveler- I am. I relocated to Point Cadet since they will allow live a boards. And single again. I was thinking of running one of those "cruising female mate" adds in the classifieds- but we all saw how that turned out !!!!!!
Hit me up with contact info in a PM and we'll get together next week if you want.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 11-01-2015, 07:22 AM   #86
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetraveler View Post
Timetraveler, We are not planning on stopping at Gulfport. but are planning a stop at Ocean Springs. I have to see if they have a slip that will be ok for us. About a week ago the dockmaster thought there would not be a problem. I am going to call him again tomorrow. If not we will likely continue on to New Orleans. We will keep in touch.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:58 AM   #87
Guru

Timetraveler we will be in Ocean Springs today and tomorrow if you would like to get together.

Update: We only spent one night in Destin. We left early the next morning (Saturday) before the crazies came out. We had a good run west on the ICW. Not much traffic at all. We anchored near Perdido island Saturday and Sunday nights. Sunday was rainy most of the day and we decided to just stay put. Saturday night was interesting. We were anchored on the north side of the island in 12' of water with 90' of chain out. The winds were blowing 25 out of the south. We set the anchor around 3pm. We noticed on our Drag Queen app that it looked like we were dragging about 2 or 3 feet per hour, but thought that could just be the rode tightening or the accuracy of the app. We decided to start the motor and back down on it just to be sure. We did and ran it up to 1300 rpms. It did not budge at all. So we decided to just keep an eye on Drag Queen and see how things went. At about 10 pm we looked and were 35' from our previously furthest position. I turned on the chart plotter and sure enough we had drug. We started the motor and pulled the anchor and then set the Fortress FX37 with 150' of rode and did not move till we left on Monday. I have never had an anchor that was set that well drag.

Monday we ran to the other side of Mobil Bay and anchored close to Isle Aux Hebres. It was a quiet anchorage with 8' of water and good holding. It was a little rough coming across the bay but not bad. There was quite a bit of barge traffic near the Dolphin island bridge. On Tuesday we had a short day on the calmest water yet and arrived here at Ocean Springs about lunch. Our first slip of the trip. We will be here until Friday morning. I want to time our Mississippi river crossing for this Sunday weather permitting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6568.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	46224
Sunrise Destin Harbor

Name:	IMG_6592.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	46225
The ditch between Destin and Mobil Bay

Name:	IMG_6603.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	46226
Passed this boat and though it was a cool looking boat

Name:	IMG_6605.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	46227
You are likely to see anything on the ICW

Name:	IMG_6612.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	46228
Never get tired of seeing dolphins off the bow

Name:	IMG_6641.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	46229
Sunset at Isle Aux Hebres

Name:	IMG_6649.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	46230
Now this is trawler weather

Old 11-04-2015, 03:18 PM   #88

City: PICKWICK LAKE, BEAR CREEK
Vessel Model: Tiara 33 - Open - twin perkins
Great pics. Hope to be there soon. Just made a offer on a 44 GSMY - 1980 and hope to have it all sorted by the first of the year. Bones appear to be great and its not a project boat but it needs updating badly. Survey in a couple of weeks - fingers crossed. After we close I will look into your " forward Bimini " that we discussed earlier. If its OK, I will get back to you later to get some additional details about your design. I assume this was your design, maybe not?
Be Safe.
BinkleyBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #89
Guru

We are anchored near mile 15 by Lake Salvador. Yesterday was a bit of a stressful day. Five years ago when we came down the Mississippi River to New Orleans we dreaded it the whole trip because of all the stories we had read and people telling us we were crazy. It turned out to be very anticlimactic. We were hoping that this trip through would be just as anticlimactic. Although we did not have any real problems it was still a stressful day. We had to wait at the industrial lock about an hour and a half to get locked into the Mississippi. Once four miles down river we had to wait another hour and a half at the Algiers lock to get out of the Mississippi. At least at the industrial lock there were pylons to tie off to. The Algiers lock had nothing to tie off to and signs on the bank saying “Cable Area No Anchoring”. After about 20 minutes of just trying to stay in one place I decided to just barely nose Walkabout into the mud bank. I did and we just sat there still. We could feel the boat rock a little from the river wakes so I knew we were not so stuck that I could not back off of it. We sat there for another hour before being told that it was our turn. Actually they were putting us through ahead of the 15 barges that were waiting to lock through. I put Walkabout into reverse and gave her some throttle thinking she would just slide right off. She did not. I gave her some more throttle, still no movement. We began walking back and forth on deck to try and rock the boat. That is when we noticed she would no longer rock. The wakes had settled us into the mud. Well now I am worried, they are calling us into the lock ahead of 15 barges and we are stuck. I kept increasing throttle until we were at full throttle. After what seemed like an eternity she finally slipped off the bank. I will have to rethink that strategy next time.

We traveled 15 miles west and anchored about 4 pm. It started raining steady about the last 20 minutes of the run. We pulled into the mouth of Lake Salvador and dropped the hook. Glad to be stopped, we started to relax. Just before dark a small east bound sailboat came in and anchored next to us. Not a problem until an hour later when the wind direction changed and then they were almost directly behind us. Noah was predicting 15 to 25 knot winds for the night. We got every bit of that. It howled all night. I could hear the halyard slapping on the sailboat. Although the anchor did not move at all we still did not get much sleep for worrying about how close the sailboat was.

Considering today’s forecast and the fact that good anchorages are not a dime a dozen here we decide to just stay anchored today and have a rest. Tomorrow looks like a better traveling day. Today I will just sit here looking out at the dark clouds listening to the wind generator and drinking coffee.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
After what seemed like an eternity she finally slipped off the bank. I will have to rethink that strategy next time . . .

Noah was predicting 15 to 25 knot winds for the night. We got every bit of that. It howled all night. I could hear the halyard slapping on the sailboat. Although the anchor did not move at all we still did not get much sleep for worrying about how close the sailboat was . . .

Today I will just sit here looking out at the dark clouds listening to the wind generator and drinking coffee.
Sure sounds as if you are really into the typical cruising life!

Sometimes I read new posts, where someone is dreaming about a-cruising they shall go, and I think of all the experiences ahead of them.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:02 AM   #91
Guru

If anyone has any local knowledge of good places to anchor along the GWIC from the Mississippi River to Kemah I would love to hear about them.

Active Captain has very few. Hopefully we can add a some more along the way.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #92
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Leaving the Keys, Headed for Houston

We also had a long wait at the Algiers lock-- about two hours. The river was way up so we tied off to a tree at the bank. Glad you got unstuck.

I had some luck anchoring in some of the side canals that connect to the GCICW, but can't remember which ones now of course. One evening in a huge rainstorm I couldn't find an anchorage before dark and had to tie up to a barge that was tied up alongside an oilfield business of some sort. They were closed so nobody ran me off. I left before they opened up the next AM.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #93
omc

City: Antibes
Vessel Name: LUTIN
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht
Top anchor

Quote:
Ah the finest example of modern orange and white architecture known to man.

Attachment 46055

We met up with Rafe and Annette from Cat Daddy and had a wonderful dinner and time to get to know each other. Rafe is the second Trawler Forum member that we have met on this trip. We met Gordon and Lamora "Off Duty" in Dunedin and had a wonderful time with them as well.

After checking the weather again this morning I decided to go ahead and run the outside over to Destin. It was a very nice run with a little wind and waves but not bad at all. We left about 7:45 am and dropped the hook in Destin harbor about 4:30 pm. 56 nautical miles. We were at the Whataburger within the hour. I like it. Tomorrow we should make Pensacola. Hoping to be in Ocean Springs MS by Tuesday and take a break there for a couple of days. I want to time it so that we cross the Mississippi river on a Sunday.

We took on 125 gallons of diesel at Pier 98 in Panama City which brought us up to exactly where we were when we left Islamorada. A little over 500 miles on 125 gallons. I like it.

The new anchor roller worked out perfect. The anchor came up and stowed perfectly. The lock pin even fits into the slot of the anchor to hold it tight. I love it when a plan comes together.

Attachment 46056
Attachment 46057
Attachment 46058
Sunset in Destin harbor.
Very interesting and still beautiful pictures. Thank you Mike !
Old 11-08-2015, 04:08 PM   #94
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Mike: Soon as I read the part that said you nosed her up on the mud bank, I figured that it sounded like what I would do in the same instance, and before long I read that the consequences I'd usually have by making that decision were the consequences you also had. Nothing like holding up thousands of tons of traffic while this toy boat tries to undo its intentional grounding. Thank heavens you got off of there. The passing wakes of the barges would have only made it worse, and I doubt they would have thrown you a rescue line. Anyway, great account. Entertaining and light when you can read it instead of living it.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:38 PM   #95

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Quote:
If anyone has any local knowledge of good places to anchor along the GWIC from the Mississippi River to Kemah I would love to hear about them.

Active Captain has very few. Hopefully we can add a some more along the way.
Houma Municipal Marina $25 night(between the bridges)-Mermentau River(good anchorage), My camp dock at Cypremort Point(vermilion Bay) Demer2 is coming to spend a night Monday with another cruiser. Just let me know and I'll give you directions and come visit. What's your draft?
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #96
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
On the river system there are many places marked on the charts as "safety harbors". Most are places with enough draft for the tow boats to push their barges up to the bank and out of the channel. A "V" in the bow of the boat pushed into soft mud can create a suction that can take a good deal of power to overcome. Many of the safety harbors make great anchorages, but the towboats will sometimes use them to take breaks or kill time. You may not like it if in the middle of the night the dark lights up like the second coming.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #97

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
When you are coming through Houma and need anything, let me know, will pick you up and get what you need.
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #98
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Thanks for sharing that, Mike! A great lesson for many here!

That's something commonly done in the delta by anglers to get the wind at your back and stabilize the boat, but they nose into the tule reeds and weeds. We have to be careful not to be caught by the falling tide or we might be there for several hours!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:08 PM   #99
Veteran Member

City: Boyd, Texas
Vessel Name: Cat Daddy
Vessel Model: PDQ mv/34
I used: Houma city dock $25 W/ pumpout facilities, power & water.
Berwick city dock - free (across channel from Morgan City)
Weeks Bay anchorage-active captain(somewhat exposed) part of Vermilion Bay
Mermentau Riveranchorage-active captain(great place)
Lake Charles civic center dock-$20 super nice facility & cheap.
Stingaree Restaurant-$25 power & water.

Morgan City had fuel for $1.99 at that time. Shell Morgan in Intercostal City was closed on Sunday when I came through, but are known as the cheapest fuel around.

Glad your past NOLA, hope your AIS is warmed up.

Rafe
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:48 PM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
I used: Houma city dock $25 W/ pumpout facilities, power & water.
Berwick city dock - free (across channel from Morgan City)
Weeks Bay anchorage-active captain(somewhat exposed) part of Vermilion Bay
Mermentau Riveranchorage-active captain(great place)
Lake Charles civic center dock-$20 super nice facility & cheap.
Stingaree Restaurant-$25 power & water.

Morgan City had fuel for $1.99 at that time. Shell Morgan in Intercostal City was closed on Sunday when I came through, but are known as the cheapest fuel around.

Glad your past NOLA, hope your AIS is warmed up.

Rafe
Thanks Rafe, and yes the AIS is warmed up. I wish we would have had it 5 years ago when we came down the Mississippi river. 800 miles of meeting barges around bends. It would have been nice to have had their names to call them. Our AIS is just a receiver built into our VHF radio and then displayed on our Garmin chart plotter but works beautifully. It is so nice to be able to call a tow by name and to see them before rounding the bend. Never had it until this trip, but can not imagine traveling without one now. My hats off to mariners of even just 30 years ago with no gps, chart plotters, AIS, and other goodies. I don't think I would have done it, or at least enjoyed it.