Old 10-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
we opted to only stop in Apalachicola long enough to go to the Piggly Wiggly and get some grub. We then continued on with the plan to anchor in Lake Wimica in an area charted at 6' deep so we could get an early start to PC.

Of all the place where I would never think of anchoring, I think that probably Lake Wimica is at the top of the list! I have been in that narrow channel at times with birds standing in the water very close to me on either side. I don't think they had very long legs, either.

Great account of the trip. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #62
omc

City: Antibes
Vessel Name: LUTIN
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht
thank you Mike for sharing so interesting pictures and update.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #63
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Our first fatality

When we anchored in the East Bay on Monday it was blowing pretty good. We dropped the hook in about 7 1/2 feet of water and I let out some chain, the wind pushed the boat back and took up the slack and I let some more out. I did this several times and then I guess I got a little greedy and let out quite abit. The boat turned sideways and when the chain became tight it pulled on the side of the anchor roller. Unnoticed by me one of the nuts that hold the roller in place had vibrated loose and was gone. When the force of the chain pulled against the side the frame that hold the roller bent and cracked.

I bent it back and put the roller back in. I did not have a nut that big so I used some visegrips to hold the roller in place temporarily. I ordered a new pivoting anchor roller and had it sent 2 day air to Pier 98 marina which is close to where we are anchored. To my surprise it arrived 22 hours later. I put it on today, but had to use whatever bolts I could find onboard. I don't think any of the five are the same, but it will have to do until I can get to a hardware store somewhere.

I think this setup will work much better than the old one. We will see tomorrow when I pull up the anchor. With the previous set up I had to stop the windlass when the anchor reached the roller and then pull it over the roller by hand. A real pain in the butt.

We had thought of leaving here on Saturday and run the outside to Destin. After checking the weather again it looks like now Friday would be the day to cross. The next window would be Tuesday. We talked about it and decided to wait until Tuesday as this is such a nice place, why hurry? We are anchored next to Under the Oaks Park. This is a beautiful place and we need to slow down and enjoy it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6549.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	45979

Name:	IMG_6551.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	45980
Can you say old and busted?

Name:	IMG_6552.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	45981
If nothing else at least it is shinny.

Name:	IMG_6554.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	45982
Hope the anchor fits.

Name:	20151028_141310.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	45983
Under the Oaks Park

Name:	20151028_135634.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	45984
At anchor near Under the Oaks Park

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #64
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Of all the place where I would never think of anchoring, I think that probably Lake Wimica is at the top of the list! I have been in that narrow channel at times with birds standing in the water very close to me on either side. I don't think they had very long legs, either.

Great account of the trip. Thanks for sharing.
John,
In all our travels it has amazed me how accurate the charted depths on our Garmin chart plotters have been. Usually if there is a discrepancy it is deeper than charted. No chart equals local knowledge though. My wife likes to stay in the channel no matter what. It does not matter if the chart says 15' outside of the marker she will not cut the corner and go out of the channel. I was doing that recently as we entered San Carlos Bay. The chart said we had 11' on the outside of the marker so I was cutting the corner to save a little time. I noticed she was looking at her tablet. Hmmm. Then she says that Active Captain said there was a shoal there. I looked down and the depth sounder read 5'. I quickly made a 90į turn back into the channel. I hate it when she is right.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #65
Veteran Member

City: Mary Esther, FL
There is a whataburger in Fort Walton across the street from The Boat Marina if you don't want to deal with Destin. Also if you travel the ICW you can anchor out at Spectre Island - south turn at marker 55 just past Hurlburt AFB runway. I just ran the ditch from PC to Fort Walton Sunday - keep an eye out for floating debris as there was some in there pre storm but mostly small stuff. I'll keep an eye out for you if you run inside!
BlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:58 PM   #66
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindHog View Post
There is a whataburger in Fort Walton across the street from The Boat Marina if you don't want to deal with Destin. Also if you travel the ICW you can anchor out at Spectre Island - south turn at marker 55 just past Hurlburt AFB runway. I just ran the ditch from PC to Fort Walton Sunday - keep an eye out for floating debris as there was some in there pre storm but mostly small stuff. I'll keep an eye out for you if you run inside!
Thanks, I think we will make the inside run tomorrow and anchor just inside Choctawatchee bay and then run to Fort Walton Beach the next day. Looks like we will be running the inside till at least Tuesday.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:19 PM   #67

City: PICKWICK LAKE, BEAR CREEK
Vessel Model: Tiara 33 - Open - twin perkins
Forward Canvas

I see a forward canvas "bimini" over your fordeck. Looks like a great idea. First one I have seen. Could you please provide an overview or supplier. We will be heading that way for a extended cruise and this looks to be a great way to create more living space.
+5 on the thread. Ill have to check out your blog.
BinkleyBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:59 PM   #68
Veteran Member

City: Mary Esther, FL
One word of caution, Destin and Choctawhatchee Bay all the way to Navarre is experiencing a very big Red Tide right now. Dead fish every where and it's very irritating to the eyes and respiratory system since it just popped up from Patricia.
BlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:02 PM   #69
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinkleyBoat View Post
I see a forward canvas "bimini" over your fordeck. Looks like a great idea. First one I have seen. Could you please provide an overview or supplier. We will be heading that way for a extended cruise and this looks to be a great way to create more living space.
+5 on the thread. Ill have to check out your blog.
Thanks BB.

I did a blog about it dated June 10 2012 with some pics if you want to look it up. I made the frame and had a canvas lady make the cover. It cost me about $2K in all, but has proved to be one of the best things we have done to the boat for living in the Keys. Summer would be brutal without it. It does not interfere with driving. The only time I take it down is if the winds are predicted to be over 40 knots. It is attached with zippers. I can take it down in 5 minutes, but takes me about 15 or 20 to put it back up. It will take way more wind the the flybridge bimini. I have seen a couple similar ones but the way they were designed you had to take them down to drive.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:05 PM   #70
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindHog View Post
One word of caution, Destin and Choctawhatchee Bay all the way to Navarre is experiencing a very big Red Tide right now. Dead fish every where and it's very irritating to the eyes and respiratory system since it just popped up from Patricia.
Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #71
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
We are comfortably anchored at Dog Island near Apalachicola Florida...
I`ll bite, why is it called Dog Island?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:39 PM   #72
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Dog Island .....take your pick from the 3 listed 'possible' origins.

The island and its two neighbors were discovered by the French in 1536 and named the Dog Islands, because 1) wild dogs were found on them; 2) the islands resemble a crouched dog, or 3) the early ships put their common sailors - known as dogs - on the islands before docking on the mainland so they could not jump ship.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:40 AM   #73
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
I choose option three

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 10-30-2015, 06:59 AM   #74
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Haha, me too forklift! Those would have been real hungry dogs and an aerial view would have been difficult in 1536.... you win a free beer when I get to Gulfport in about 10 days
Old 10-30-2015, 07:39 AM   #75
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Red Tide will be completely destroyed on Nov. 7th. they will be playing LSU
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #76
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
red tide will be completely destroyed on nov. 7th. They will be playing lsu

👍👍👍👍👍
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #77

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
Red Tide will be completely destroyed on Nov. 7th. they will be playing LSU
and this coming from a boater in Alabama!!!!!!

GO TIGERS!

Sorry for the highjack.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:44 AM   #78

City: louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Dog Island .....take your pick from the 3 listed 'possible' origins.
3) the early ships put their common sailors - known as dogs - on the islands before docking on the mainland so they could not jump ship.

Somehow I get the feeling that the O.P. of the 'Traveling Companion' thread might benefit from that historical knowledge!
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #79
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Ragin Cajun: Even worse is that I am a Tulane Grad.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:56 PM   #80
Guru

Ah the finest example of modern orange and white architecture known to man.

Name:	20151030_162236.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	46055

We met up with Rafe and Annette from Cat Daddy and had a wonderful dinner and time to get to know each other. Rafe is the second Trawler Forum member that we have met on this trip. We met Gordon and Lamora "Off Duty" in Dunedin and had a wonderful time with them as well.

After checking the weather again this morning I decided to go ahead and run the outside over to Destin. It was a very nice run with a little wind and waves but not bad at all. We left about 7:45 am and dropped the hook in Destin harbor about 4:30 pm. 56 nautical miles. We were at the Whataburger within the hour. I like it. Tomorrow we should make Pensacola. Hoping to be in Ocean Springs MS by Tuesday and take a break there for a couple of days. I want to time it so that we cross the Mississippi river on a Sunday.

We took on 125 gallons of diesel at Pier 98 in Panama City which brought us up to exactly where we were when we left Islamorada. A little over 500 miles on 125 gallons. I like it.

The new anchor roller worked out perfect. The anchor came up and stowed perfectly. The lock pin even fits into the slot of the anchor to hold it tight. I love it when a plan comes together.

Name:	IMG_6558.jpg
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	46056

Name:	IMG_6559.jpg
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	46057

Name:	IMG_6565.jpg