Leaving Key West for Knoxville

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dave Gina and I look forward to your opinions of how the boat performed during your trip. What mods or improvements you all feel would be beneficial for future trips. We will be shoving off with our 4788 from Fort Loudon marina in June. I am really interested in how the 24-22 props performed as compared to your 24-24 standard props. We will drive down to the marina from our Richmond home on or about the May 4th or 5th. We also found Goose Pond to be a good stay over. We will have a car available if you guys need to make some local runs . GW 859-248-1189

Dave Gina and I look forward to your opinions of how the boat performed during your trip. What mods or improvements you all feel would be beneficial for future trips. We will be shoving off with our 4788 from Fort Loudon marina in June. I am really interested in how the 24-22 props performed as compared to your 24-24 standard props. We will drive down to the marina from our Richmond home on or about the May 4th or 5th. We also found Goose Pond to be a good stay over. We will have a car available if you guys need to make some local runs . GW 859-248-1189

The 22s are definitely an improvement. I noticed it when in the gulf going up and down the swells. On the up side it was bogging down until I changed to the 22s. I'm trying to get diesel don to give me a once over there in goose pond.

I filled up with fuel at goose pond marina last week and then drove over to a slip nearby. A week later after the river settled down we decided to try to make it home to Telico lake. Well thank the lord I checked the engine room before starting the engines for the day. My engine room was full of fuel. After some investigation I discovered a broken or what looked to be cut injector fuel line. Where it goes into the top of the injector. After talking to don he says if you put these lines on with any pressure as in they don't line up and thread easily the micro vibration will cut the line.
The fuel wasn't enough to be pumped out yet but if I had tried to start or move it would have.

I tried to save money and changed all my injectors myself. I do remember having a hard time with a couple of the lines. I learned the hard way. The good lord has truly been with me on this trip.

Anyway lesson learned. Always check the engine room. Oil and water levels as well as bildge pumps. So easy and can save your boat.

Fuel LInes

Diesel Don Did some work on our engines with prior owners. Seems to do good work from what you hear about him. There's not to many situations that he hasn't experienced I would guess. Can the line be duplicated or does it have to be a factory replacement . I try to do all my own maintenance and sometimes you just only learn from a F-up or two happening. Thank The good lord you were not further from the marina. My previous aircraft mechanic instructor always told us to Stop--slow down and than ask how could I F-this up . Good thought ,can't say it always worked for me, but every day s a new experience. You guys have already had more adventure than most. We won't be down to our boat tillnext week if we can help let us know. GW

Hello David - did you get the davit procedure yet?
- Ron

Thank you very much. When I get home I hope to spend time fixing the things I found on the trip and put off.

Sad news this morning, according to the Goose Pond Marina staff David's beautiful Bayliner was lost to fire after leaving the marina yesterday. David and two other people had to abandon the boat due to a fire that burn her to the waterline. Everyone was rescued from the water and are safe. Our prayers are with them this morning.

Dave sorry to hear the tragic news. If Gina and I can help in any way let us know. We are all glad everyone is safe. Gary and Gina " Prime Interest II "

I can only hope that report is untrue. If true, pure speculation on my part, but leaking fuel on a hot turbo could have been the cause. What a disaster! I'm glad to hear that everyone on board is safe.

I feel horrible about the loss of the boat, but so happy that everyone was safely rescued from the fire.

I'm so very sorry David, my heart breaks for you. Prayers sent your way

Has anyone talked to David since this happened? Just hope he's doing ok. I know it had to be horrible to go through but ultimately boats can be replaced, lives can't be and so glad they were all able to escape and be safely rescued. Just would love to hear from him.

Sad news this morning, according to the Goose Pond Marina staff David's beautiful Bayliner was lost to fire after leaving the marina yesterday. David and two other people had to abandon the boat due to a fire that burn her to the waterline. Everyone was rescued from the water and are safe. Our prayers are with them this morning.

OMG!! Thank God they are safe!! That's terrible news!!
So sad to read this.

No words...........

Attachments

• IMG_1862.jpg
    IMG_1862.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Cannot imagine a worse nightmare....Thank God everyone is OK.

I hope his little granddaughter wasn't on board when it happened. ��

I hope his little granddaughter wasn't on board when it happened. ��

It was all going so well, so much enthusiasm. I just hope that's not all dead forever, at some point they are able to try it all again. However, none of us can say how we would respond after such an event.

Omg. What a heartbreak. I guess it was better to happen in the river rather than offshore. I am so glad everyone is safe. So traumatic for them. Gasoline powered boat?

No. Diesel powered.

This had been a fairly smooth trip to the point of the fire. David is a really nice guy. I had been planning to meet up again when the came to Chattanooga. I was hoping to take them to the Italian restaurant David likes. This is just a terrible development.

Well, a couple of things from there. First, David said he believed the turbo blew up. He was very brief, two sentences, and no more posts. You could just feel the pain. He'd obviously had the issues with the injector hoses and fuel in his bilge before that. Whether that was related or not, I sure don't know.

Second, not to pick on the BOC as I think most boaters would say similar to what they said, but a major lack of understanding of boat fires, how little time you have, and how under-equpped most boats are. Comments like someone thinking they should get a second extinguisher, that one might not be enough. They don't make enough hand held extinguishers to fight an ER fire. People were asking if he tried to fight it before abandoning. I'd guess very little if at all or they wouldn't have all escaped unharmed. They typical small boat doesn't have the equipment or the time to fight a major ER fire. People die where they panic and fight to save their boat. Fuel, wiring, fiberglass, a lot of accelerants.

You may put out a small galley fire or deck fire. Major engine room fires are beyond frightening though. Even in a simulator I found one terrifying, much less in real.

I don't know any of what took place, but I know as Captain of the Ship, David did a great job. The proof is three passengers, all rescued and ok.

I saw that the fire had occurred on the 6th and David had the time and emotional stability to post some information about that on the 8th.
That left me with the thought that there was no injury or illness as a result of the event and that is the key ingredient - it was not apparent on this site that he was AOK.

FWIW - I agree that the follow up posts are likely misleading, I would not read to much into what is said on the internet about occurrences such as these.

Very sad for both the owners/crew and the boat-Hope all goes well with the aftermath.

Back
Top Bottom