Leaving Key West for Knoxville

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
View attachment 63323
Seems the same. They have new docks if you didn't see my post on the way down. More photos to come after dinner.

Yes, I do recall your post, but I'd heard a negative right about then too so was interested in knowing if they were all in place and everything functioning right. Glad to know they've kept it up.

IMG_0454.JPG
IMG_0466.JPG
The current was pretty strong going into coffeeville lock

IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG
IMG_0481.JPG
IMG_0483.jpg
Bobbies fish camp Big day tomorrow the winds are going to be up to 18mph by 4pm and 28mph by 7pm in Demopolis. Not much room for error.

IMG_3885.jpg
Looks like someone forgot to take down the Christmas tree

Dave
Did they have their famous fried dill pickles at Bobbies? Stop and see us again at Goose Pond, I just got to say Hi in passing when you stopped on your way down.

Ray, on dock 4 Goose Pond

Dock looks to be in good shape as long as not full. Certainly wasn't full tonight.

David, we just did the same route from Port St Joe to Scottsboro, Al. Watch for dead heads North of Demopolis. Best stops After Demopolis for us, Columbus and Florence Harbor Marina's. Best diesel fuel deal at Florence Harbor. We had fantastic locking with total wait time of 45 minutes at Coffeeville and 15 min's at Demopolis all the rest zero delay time, have your documentation and or registration #'s handy.

Planning to same trip,,, what documentation will I need.
Thanks

Planning to same trip,,, what documentation will I need.
Thanks

He meant if your boat is documented, you will need the number of that documentation handy and if it is state registered the registration number.

We are taking two weeks off for Easter. It's not worth the risk of hitting something after all that rain. Plus the current will suck up my fuel and I'm broke as a bag a glass.

We are taking two weeks off for Easter. It's not worth the risk of hitting something after all that rain. Plus the current will suck up my fuel and I'm broke as a bag a glass.

Where are you stopping for now? Demopolis? or stuck at Bobbie's?

Where are you stopping for now? Demopolis? or stuck at Bobbie's?

We are in Demopolis. We plan to go back after Easter. I'm hoping the river clears up a little.

We are in Demopolis. We plan to go back after Easter. I'm hoping the river clears up a little.

Demopolis is a good stop and seems like a good place to leave a boat now that they've got both facilities and expanded. We thought about leaving ours there.

Dave
Did they have their famous fried dill pickles at Bobbies? Stop and see us again at Goose Pond, I just got to say Hi in passing when you stopped on your way down.

Ray, on dock 4 Goose Pond

I'll try to It all depends on timing and the price of fuel.
Thanks

Leaving Demopolis in the morning. I don't have a plan because I don't have any idea how bad the debris is going to be.

Leaving Demopolis in the morning. I don't have a plan because I don't have any idea how bad the debris is going to be.

Nothing looks extreme in the forecasts for levels or flow. Have you spoken to anyone upstream regarding conditions?

We left Demopolis at about 9am. If you don't know the crew is supposed to hold a dock pole and try to keep the boat off the wall. Well my crew thinks she is a researcher and her tool of the trade is her cell phone.
IMG_0537.JPG

We lost phone signal but thankfully we found this phone booth in the middle of nowhere. About the 312 mile marker.
IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG
IMG_0544.JPG
When we arrived at the locks they had the doors open and got us up and out in know time. I can't say enough about the lock masters on the waterway. They are very good people.

IMG_0550.JPG
We made it to Columbus MS. Very nice and quiet.

IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0555.jpg
Red sky at night sailors delight.

My crew is going to be a great researcher. We'll learn that knot stuff later.

We've only had one experience on the TN Tom but were equally impressed with the lockmasters. It was amazing the way they communicated and in many cases were just waiting on you when you arrived. It was years ago when I was there. I remember vividly too as we were in a Sea Ray that had decent speed, there two couples in a Silverton from Fort Myers, FL. It ran 7 knots. We'd radio ahead to the lockmasters and they'd ask about them. I'd tell them how far behind they were and how long before they'd be there. We said we'd be glad to wait on them and twice I know the lockmasters said for us to just pull on in and they'd keep the gates open so the other boat could pull in the moment they arrived. One time we saved them as the lockmaster was going to let us lock through tied to one tow and said they could come with the next tow. We told the lockmaster the next one was red flag so he held the locks so they could lock though with the first tow as well.

Lockmasters enjoy most of the boaters who come through and they just find a way to endure the few idiots and jerks they have to deal with.

IMG_0580.JPG
Two things I tried to teach the crew. One to tie a knot. That's not happening. Next instead of saying wow wow look at that to grab the camera or point the phone your always holding and take a picture. Well that's knot happening either. By the time I heard the wow and got my iPad the eagle was half a mile away. What a site

We traveled threw what some call the ditch. The man made part of the Tom Bigbee. Very nice.

IMG_0585.JPG

IMG_0592.JPG
It was a great day. Getting close to Tennessee.

IMG_0594.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG
The Tennessee river. On our way to Florence Al.

IMG_0598.JPG
Florence. What a great place to visit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom