Old 01-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
From Scott today mid afternoon today:

Best we've seen, wind 5-10, seas down, swell finally down. Going to keep RPM up a little, still riding counter current.

Its sunny and 81 now. If i wasn't on watch Id be outside shirt off and drink in hand!

We r in shipping lane now because of favorable current, also thought might get a little lee off cuba if wind piped up early.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Scott and Caroline arrived at Isla Mujeres at ~ 3pm this afternoon. The final slog was pretty crappy but they arrived safe and sound. I'm sure Scott will fill in all the details after some rest and a few margaritas.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Scott and Caroline arrived at Isla Mujeres at ~ 3pm this afternoon. The final slog was pretty crappy but they arrived safe and sound. I'm sure Scott will fill in all the details after some rest and a few margaritas.
Great!! I'll be looking forward to the blog
Old 01-26-2016, 05:57 PM   #24
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Same here. Very interested.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Myers
That's a great run, congrat's to them on a safe passage.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #26

City: In transit
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
Finally 100% legal in Mexico ($370 & 3 days later). Internet here is bad, also can't get SIM card....so need to be brief. Caroline is going to try to get somewhere to upload blog. She has been typing offline. Pics may be minimal as well. I hear in Belize, internet will be great.

So quick summary: Weather window was too short, which we expected, just got tired of horrible conditions in Tortugas. Seas worse then expected or forecast, due to land, sea, current interface and depth changes (arrow smith bank current getting in & out was horrible). Seas seems constantly confused most of the time, so not really able to get on a good course for comfort. Boat did excellent, confirms my decision to pay the premium for this hull shape. Stabilizers, stabilizers, stabilizers. Decks constantly awash, put rub rail under water, flying fish on bow, due to wave height! Took about the same amount of time as Warderick Wells Bahamas to Key West non stop, but much more physically, mentally, and emotionally challenging. Delorme worth its weight in gold. Was able to get encouragement for wife, weather updates for me (thanks Larry), etc.

Mexico IS cheap. Bottle bear $2 and under, Margaritas around $4. Trick is to pay with pesos, as restuarants, bars, etc give you a really bad exchange rate if paid in US. Like 11:1 instead of 17:1. Thats like a free happy every two! Go to marina paraiso and pay Chepo to handle all of the paperwork and inspectors. Worth every penny. Not only does it save tons of time and frustration, but lets just say its easier when someone knows the system talks for you and gives you "advice" on "grey areas". Also after a long voyage, you tie up, plug in, drink at bar, walk around, enjoy, recharge, etc. VS. anchor, fight isolation, dingy winds etc. when you are already tired. Not to mention boat is covered in salt, will be using tons of water to clean.

More later...

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:41 AM   #27

Also, want to check out of Mexico as far south as possible. Need your help, getting mixed information on Xcalac. Some say cant clear, some say 10hr bus ride round trip to chetumal. Just dont want to back track north so far to fight current south again. If anyone can provide current info for Xclalc, it would be appreciated. I did see one Active Captain review from Nov 2015, said it was back up and running. Customs, imigration couldnt confirm anything.

As I have mentioned, internet sucks here.

Thanks.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 01-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #28

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Congrats on your successful passage! I was feeling for ya with that long delay at Fort Jefferson. Had to be brutal wind and sea conditions w/ those fronts coming through the area for over a week. Did you have a bunch of company from the fishing boats holed-up in the anchorage? I hope you had some relaxation/enjoyment in the Tortugas, beautiful place in good weather conditions. Looking forward to your blog and pics!
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #29
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Just read the latest post on their blog about the trip. Sounded pretty scary to me. 14' waves? 😯

https://caribbeansealife.wordpress.c...9/hola-mexico/
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #30

Wife writes the blog for laymen. It was really 6+ waves on top of 6+ swells, some larger, when the two got together and broke (which was often) it was horrible. So bad, I was too busy (scared) to even attempt pics and vids. Too busy holding on!

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 01-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #31

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
Also, want to check out of Mexico as far south as possible. Need your help, getting mixed information on Xcalac. Some say cant clear, some say 10hr bus ride round trip to chetumal. Just dont want to back track north so far to fight current south again. If anyone can provide current info for Xclalc, it would be appreciated. I did see one Active Captain review from Nov 2015, said it was back up and running. Customs, imigration couldnt confirm anything.

As I have mentioned, internet sucks here.

Thanks.
Scott, I have emailed a friend of mine who lives just north of Mahaual. Asked him to see if he could find any information there about Xcalak. I know you can clear in Chetamaul at the airport customs station.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:13 PM   #32

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Scott, Here is what he sent me back. Maybe this will help others also.

"Look up XTC dive center in Xcalak, they use to do the customs papers there. If that doesn't work, let me know and I will see if I can find out. You could also e-mail Linda at Leaky Palapa (restaurant), she will probably know, since she lives there full time."

Hopefully this helps you out.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:45 PM   #33

Jon,

XTC emailed me saying they can not help. I have emailed Linda, but haven't heard back. I appreciate the leads.

Scott

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 02-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #34

Well, we have had no luck verifying check out options south, so we will clear out at Puerto Morales and head south from there. Although we will be in Isla Mujeres for at least another week with thw weather down here...It's good to be on Mexican time.

Fairly active cruisers net here, tons of gringos in town, very safe and friendly thus far. We prefer the south end of the island, as the north end is very hectic with tourist, ferries, shops, etc. The prices are better on the south end of the island as well!

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 02-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
The furthest port of entry south I'm aware of is Puerto Aventuras. The agent actually comes from Carmen so needs some scheduling time. Coming from the South, that was our first stop after leaving Belize. Excellent marina and resort there. Everything you need within walking distance.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote