Old 08-17-2016, 11:34 PM   #1
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
At Last!

This summer has been a long time in arriving. OK, I have an excuse, as my daughter and her family, including our only grandchildren, who live in Portugal, came to visit for 3 weeks, ending last weekend.

We had a few days away on the boat over the July long weekend, but stayed in the Gulf Islands for all of it. I did find new prawning grounds near Silva Bay, and stocked the freezer a bit.
On Saturday we put the Portugal bound family on the float plane in Ganges, started to de-childproof the house and started the general cleanup. Finished all of that in time to depart on Monday and got as far as Silva Bay. We met friends there and had a good dinner out at the Silva Bay Pub.
On Tuesday morning, the forecast was for strong winds, diminishing, then rising overnight. We left at about 09:30, heading north out of Commodores Passage. Within a mile, the waves were so steep that the dishes were coming out of the cupboard above the fridge and littering the floor. We turned around. At 1:30 PM things looked a little better from the best land based vantage we could find, so we set out again. This time, at the same spot, the waves were not over 6". Tne crossing to Pender Harbour was a little sloppy out in the WG area, but not anything like what had turned us back earlier.

We arrived in Garden Bay to find good friends who had pulled in just ahead of us, on their way home to Vancouver, so had dinner together on their boat, stayed too long, had a great time.

This morning, we did a tour of Pender Harbour with our friends, in their 33' tender.

Off to Desolation Sound. We stopped in the Copeland Islands, tested out an anchorage that has been a favourite, but in the 8 knot wind from the NW, couldn't settle in our favorite anchorage, so moved on to anchor behind Otter Island. This is where we want to be. Prawn traps go out in the morning.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:18 AM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Mmmmmm fresh prawns

Completely relate to the cleanup and dechildproofing thing. Our kids came home with the grandchild for the month of May. Enjoy your trip.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #3
Guru

The splashing noise in the water surrounding us at anchor turned out to be a Herring ball. Only about 10 million of the little critters. This is a first for me.
Also the biggest woodpecker I have ever seen, tapping away on a fallen log when I took the dog to shore. Roughly 12" long. The woodpecker, not the dog.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
The splashing noise in the water surrounding us at anchor turned out to be a Herring ball. Only about 10 million of the little critters. This is a first for me.
Also the biggest woodpecker I have ever seen, tapping away on a fallen log when I took the dog to shore. Roughly 12" long. The woodpecker, not the dog.
There's a joke in there somewhere.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Mmmmm fresh herring too

That's truly a pecker to be proud of

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #6
Guru

Since my last report, we haven't moved far, other than to move out of internet range for several days. Our usual anchorages, where we have to diligently search for the less crowded places, have turned out to be unoccupied, or at worst, sharing with boats far enough away that we were boating completely on our own. This is so much nicer than what we would have found had we come here during the 3 week period that we had usually spent here, the last week of July and the first 2 weeks of August.

Prawn catches have been good, but not spectacular. We caught enough to eat what we wanted and put some away in the freezer for later in the year.

The water temperature has been consistently around 22C by early afternoon throughout the area, so frequent swimming has been on, though the forecast for the next few days looks a little cooler.

Time to go haul the traps.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #7

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Sea Triscuit
Vessel Model: Transtar 50'
Sounds wonderful!
Old 08-28-2016, 08:48 AM   #8
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Might have been a Piliated Woodpecker? They can be pretty relaxed about being approached; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pileated_woodpecker
Old 08-30-2016, 09:07 PM   #9
Guru

Heading towards home. Spent 2 nights at the dock in Cortez Bay. Cooler, so no swimming. Then a run to Garden Bay, where we have stayed put, waiting for the strong wind warning to abate, as where we wish to go would be somewhat lumpy, blowing SE 15 to 20 with a 1m sea state. So here, good walking, lots of folks coming in to do as we are doing, waiting out the weather before heading home.
No more Piliated Woodpeckers or herring balls, but awoke this morning to the cry of the loon flying overhead. That has to be one of the nicest sounds ever.