Lake Powell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeff,
No.
Do you want your boat to be classified as a trawler? Why?
But if you really want to go 8mph all the time perhaps you should look at a light, small and trailerable trawler like a Albin 25. I cruised 8.5 knots w mine and burned less than 1gph. I don't know of any trawler that compares to the Albin though.
What's the deal here Jeff? Do you really want to go 8mph w low fuel burn or do you primarily want to be considered a trawler man? It's true people really think a trawler man has more hair on their chest and is brave in the face of big seas and is looked up to as a good sea man more than the general cruiser type boater. But if Image is important to you and you like the trawler image it's just a matter of how bad you want what.
Looks like you can do lots of wonderful boating w your Land'n Sea Craft that trawler men can only dream about so it could be a difficult decision to make. But if you like your boat and what it can do and can afford the extra fuel I'd stay with what you have. The grass isn't always greener ...

I was just trying to justify the post on a 'trawler' forum.

I'll never be considered a trawler:
I couldn't care less about MPG.
My propulsion is single gas (carb) and I prefer all three.
I have a generator on the roof and I run it all the time - even overnight in a crowded anchorage.
I don't have/want a thruster - the only close quarter manuvering I do is on and off the trailer...we always overnight on the hook or beach.
My boat isn't pretty and never will be.
I don't believe in paper charts and even removed my (useless) compass.
I use all 3 strand nylon rode - I don't believe in chain.
I have a 3000 watt inverter and wonder why.
I don't have 2'itis.
I have precisely the boat I want and she's as perfect as she needs to be, yet allows me to be creative.

Wow, what fun! Great detail, I'm trying to get 3 couples together and perhaps rent a 50' on Lake Powell sometime in late 2013 or 2014. My parents made this trip with 2 other couples, probably 30 years ago and talked about it for years afterward. Thanks for taking the time and sharing.

Jeff,
That's great. Did I ever tell you about a chap that was living on a Land-N-Sea in Juneau Alaska? The insulation was so good in the hull and cabin he heated the boat w a small electric heater about 1500 watts. It was toasty warm in his boat and about 10 degrees outside.
As you've seen ther'e are quite a number of non trawlers on the forum and I welcome lots more. I use almost an all nylon anchor rode and wish I could go 12 knots. I may again some day but I want to spend a couple more years w the trawler.

The Land N Sea is billed as positively floated...unusual for a 28x8 boat. There's a minimum of 2" of foam in all the walls, more in the roof and the bilge is also foam in all open spaces. I haven't run into any wood except framing for the aft door and it was a joy to rebuild - dig out the old, fit and epoxy the new between the outer and inner skin. The transom is also part wood, but it's not sandwiched, the wood is exposed inside so a transom rebuild wouldn't require a lot of finesse.

The insulation is so good, that with 4 adults, 2 dogs and a 2 year old we need to open windows to cool off in 60* nights...but the roof a/c does a great job even in 100* temps.

Just a few reasons why I've grown to love this old girl.

Back
Top Bottom