Old 12-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #61
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
dimmer2, still in Destin? If so, get the long johns out. Going to get in the 40's tonight... We will probably be anchoring out over there early next week. You still going to be around?
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:49 PM   #62
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
dimmer2, still in Destin? If so, get the long johns out. Going to get in the 40's tonight... We will probably be anchoring out over there early next week. You still going to be around?
Wifey B: Going down to 75 degrees in Key West tonight.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Roger, yep it's pretty miserable right now and doesn't look to let up for a while. I left my winter woolies behind when I left Texas

I had an extension made for my crane which was shipped yesterday. As soon as I receive that and get it installed (and the weather improves) we will move up to Port St Joes for a while. Hope we get to meet somewhere....
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Roger, yep it's pretty miserable right now and doesn't look to let up for a while. I left my winter woolies behind when I left Texas
Welcome to Northern Florida, Blue. Note that I prefix with "Northern," because this part is NOT palm trees, bikinis, and warm balmy breezes. In this part we have freezing weather, burning hot weather, rain, humidity, and more bugs than Carter has little liver pills. Part of it is actually southern Alabama, and the other part is actually southern Georgia.

So why do I continue to live here? Three reasons. (a) I was born here, and I am used to it. (b) when we do have a nice day every once in a great while it is so wonderful that it is worth waiting for. (c) The crowds tend to go further south, so we can enjoy our beaches and seafood without a bunch of yankees taking up all the space.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks John. It is apparently going to get a little chilly tonight (not that I would wear a bikini anyway ) and this wind is supposedly here thru next Tuesday! St Marks looks like a great little side trip! We plan on getting within about 50 miles of you, Dog Island.
But like you said, the whole point of the trip is warmer weather, palm trees, beer and bikinis, so we will plod on....when the weather clears and parts arrive lol.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We plan on getting within about 50 miles of you, Dog Island.
I'm sure you already know this, but just to be certain. The west end of Dog Island has a really, really good anchorage, just before you get to the end of it. The holding is fantastic, and you can be protected on three sides. You can also anchor in deep water right off the beach.

Unfortunately, you are not protected from northern winds there, though, so if you are going to have those, then come on in though the deep and well-marked channel to Carrabelle. Always plenty of room at the Moorings Marina, plus good anchorage in the river if you want to do that.

I have heard that the "Fisherman's Wife" restaurant has good seafood, but have never eaten there. An IGA grocery store within easy walking distance of the Moorings.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:33 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks John. I visited Carrabelle (by car) and checked out the Moorings and ate at the Fisherman's wife (if I remember correctly) and I will not need much of an excuse to go up the river and visit again. It's all up to the weather. I will overnight at Dogs Island IF I can do the crossing the next morning, otherwise plan on going up the river.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:36 PM   #68
Guru

Dimmer2 are you in a marina in Destin or anchored out? We plan to make the trip to Clearwater and beyond in April.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:43 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Roger, we are anchored in the bay (small harbor), downtown. From the ICW you come under the bridge as though going offshore but turn left as soon as you come from under the bridge. It is off season so plenty of anchoring spots and places to pull up in a dinghy.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #70
Guru

Hope you saw the incredible sunset tonight! May be in Destin Harbor Tuesday night. I will let you know if we are headed that way.
Roger
Old 12-03-2015, 09:20 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

I did indeed and took pics....however today was my birthday so there is no chance of me downloading them We made friends with a local who has a sail boat called "Blow Me". He provides dinghy space on the beach and keeps a eye on it. We gave him some ribs and he smoked them for us....Awesome!!
Old 12-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
....however today was my birthday!
A belated Happy Birthday! Turned 39, huh?

And remember that there are a LOT worse places to be waiting for weather than Destin! Given waiting there or waiting at Port St. Joe, I'll take Destin any day in the week. Destin has the best seafood of any place that I have been.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #73
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
A belated Happy Birthday! Turned 39, huh?

And remember that there are a LOT worse places to be waiting for weather than Destin! Given waiting there or waiting at Port St. Joe, I'll take Destin any day in the week. Destin has the best seafood of any place that I have been.
We got stuck in that area once as well. We were in 6-8' coming in, but it quickly worsened. We found plenty of things there to keep us occupied for an extra week.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:10 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

We actually lucked out and both the Rhino and the Baobab are now in a couple slips, hooked up with electricity and water so life is good again. Fueled up at the co-op for $2.35/gal. So we will stay through Monday morning then ICW to Panama, followed by a run offshore to St Joes. A day or two anchored on the beach and then around the corner to Dog Island before the shot across the Gulf. Looks like we may make warmer weather before Christmas after all
Life is good!! (even if I am 60 again this year lol)
Old 12-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We actually lucked out and both the Rhino and the Baobab are now in a couple slips, hooked up with electricity and water so life is good again. Fueled up at the co-op for $2.35/gal. So we will stay through Monday morning then ICW to Panama, followed by a run offshore to St Joes. A day or two anchored on the beach and then around the corner to Dog Island before the shot across the Gulf. Looks like we may make warmer weather before Christmas after all
Life is good!! (even if I am 60 again this year lol)
Different strokes for different folks, but it if were me I would go inland at St Joe and do the ICW over to Apalachicola. Easy run, and pretty scenery. Otherwise, you hit some scary shoals down around the base of Cape San Blas, far offshore. You can stay inside from Apalachicola, north side of St. George Island on the ICW, and run right into the West tip of Dog Island.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:14 PM   #76
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Different strokes for different folks, but it if were me I would go inland at St Joe and do the ICW over to Apalachicola. Easy run, and pretty scenery. Otherwise, you hit some scary shoals down around the base of Cape San Blas, far offshore. You can stay inside from Apalachicola, north side of St. George Island on the ICW, and run right into the West tip of Dog Island.
Apalachicola is one of our favorite stops anywhere. If you like art, definitely a good stop. You get to see incredible artists working in their studios, get to hear the story and background of their are. Very special place. We didn't imagine falling in love with it like we did.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:15 AM   #77
Guru

Dimmer2, have a great trip. I agree with Jwnall. Off shore from Destin to Panama City and Port St Joe or inside either way. But from Port St Joe to Apalach and Dog Island I would go inside. Much shorter, easier. Those shoals go along way out. Either way keep us updated and enjoy the journey. By the way Happy Birthday also!
Old 12-05-2015, 05:22 AM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys, inside it is. I am looking on AC but not seeing much on Apalachicola. Is there a marina or anchorage close enough to bike to town?
Old 12-05-2015, 06:00 AM   #79
Guru

Apalachicola Marina and Water Street Marina are both on AC. Not fancy but have the basics and right in town. From Apalachicola marina you are in downtown and Water street just a few blocks out. Both very easy bike rides for the entire town. I haven't been there in a few years but it was alot of fun when we went. Great seafood and oysters.
By the way where were you able to dock in Destin. There are sometimes when we go over there that having a slip would be a plus.
Thanks
Old 12-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Rodger, called and they 'may' have a slip but only two transient slips apparently. The Municipal shows 2 feet at low tide. We will call again when close.

We anchored out the first 5 nights but the constant wind finally drove me to distraction. We walked the docks and made a 'private' deal at East Pass marina, slip 29. Speak with Robbie who captains the only cat in the marina. $75.00 a day with both water and 30/50 electric.