Kemah, Florida and beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try Scipio Creek Marina, great folks and close to town.

We've only docked at Apalachicola Marina and at the face dock they also manage, but we've walked to Scipio and it's a very nice marina as well. They have a dry storage unit as well. As you said, the people working there were very friendly and insisted on showing us all around.

I am going to quit asking you guys or I will never make the Keys for Christmas :)

So, we will leave Monday which will still be lumpy offshore and just do the ICW all the way. We will anchor out in Panama City and do the marina thing in Apalachicola. That gives me three days to learn how to pronounce it lol.

Thanks for all the great tips!!

. We will anchor out in Panama City and do the marina thing in Apalachicola. That gives me three days to learn how to pronounce it

App (sounds like slap) uh lach (sounds like latch) e (sounds like key) cola (as in coca cola). App-uh-latch-e-cola. You will sound like a local. :)

So, we will leave Monday which will still be lumpy offshore and just do the ICW all the way. We will anchor out in Panama City and do the marina thing in Apalachicola. That gives me three days to learn how to pronounce it lol.

Thanks for all the great tips!!

I gave you a complete song to help you learn how to pronounce it. With Bob Hope and Bing Crosby singing it. And they say it over and over and over.

I am going to quit asking you guys or I will never make the Keys for Christmas :)

So, we will leave Monday which will still be lumpy offshore and just do the ICW all the way. !

You might recheck on Monday. It looks like improvement Monday, more Tuesday (3-5') but then lessening to 2' late Tuesday and into the rest of the week. I don't know how much your time difference is on the routes for your boat, but you might not get there much sooner on the ICW than waiting. I've never taken the ICW through that section so maybe others who have can give you better knowledge of what it's like. I've never been there with a boat with shallow enough draft for me to be comfortable, but I suspect your Bayliner is relatively small draft. I've always been 5' or more.

Blue
Just go straight SE and after you get out about a 100 miles it'll be smooth as silk:lol::angel::angel:

Happy B-DAY BLUE!

Ok, so now I can pronounce Apalachicola, as long as it hasn't changed in 50 years LOL.
The first fishing boats are back in saying 2-3 ft 3 miles out sooooo, we are back to running offshore to Panama and then the ICW to Apalachicola. This puts us at Dog Island Wednesday night if we only do overnight stops. Thursday looks great but Friday it all goes downhill again. Rather than rush, I think we will stay over at Apalachicola until the following Wednesday which is when the weather breaks again.

Doug, thanks for the detailed crossing advice :)

Thanks Kevin!

Ok, so now I can pronounce Apalachicola, as long as it hasn't changed in 50 years LOL.
The first fishing boats are back in saying 2-3 ft 3 miles out sooooo, we are back to running offshore to Panama and then the ICW to Apalachicola. This puts us at Dog Island Wednesday night if we only do overnight stops. Thursday looks great but Friday it all goes downhill again. Rather than rush, I think we will stay over at Apalachicola until the following Wednesday which is when the weather breaks again.

Doug, thanks for the detailed crossing advice :)

Thanks Kevin!

As far away as Friday is, it could be 1' or 10' by then. This is that time of year that beyond two or three days is very suspect. We wanted to go to the Dry Tortugas from Clearwater and we were still deciding on the way there whether to go or head elsewhere. We have a friend transporting a boat from Baltimore to Key West and every day has been a last minute decision on inside vs. out. Fortunately it's been rainy and not many other boats out so he's covered 160+ nm even on an inside day.

Here is a weather site you might want to take a look at: Tampa Bay Surf Report (STORMSURF)

On the "MWX pro control Panel" under the first map click on the "Sea Height" Icon, you will get a Gulf of Mexico moving weather pattern you can pause.

I have used it quite a bit and found the predictions usually good.

Thanks Steve, that's pretty cool. I am getting ready to depart but will only be going to Panama today so have no idea why I am up already! I guess I am eager to be going again. Destin has been great. The bars are actually still open (they close at 4:00) and the music and drunks can be clearly heard lol.

Hmm. No word today from Blue. I forgot to mention those offshore bombing exercises from Eglin Air Force Base. Oh well. That which does not kill you just makes you stronger.

And by the way. It is either Panama City or P.C., but never just Panama. :)

Quick update so ya'll don't think I am in Panama :)

We ended up leaving from Destin, heading to Panama City, on the outside. The weather was almost perfect and we were enjoying the ride so much....I ended up going straight to St Joes. We then went up the canal, straight past Apalachicola to Crab Island. We will be back through in the spring and will be sure to stop for several days on the way back. We did not feel an overnight stop would do it justice.

So...Had a great stay anchored out in the bay and the dinghy got a lot of use. Only one other boat in the whole bay. Wednesday we were talking to the owners of 'the other boat' (a KK Manatee) and decided to join a flotilla of Loopers who were leaving that afternoon headed for Tarpon Springs. Followed them about half way across, veering a little more East around midnight and arrived off the mouth of Crystal River at dawn. Followed the tide up at 13:00 and anchored in the little lake in front of the town. Ray, from the Rhino went ashore and secured us 2 berths at Pete's Marina for $180/week including electric. He has been promoted to Master Marina Negotiator!

So, we are in Crystal River for a week!!

Great to see Ray advancing. Living the dream

We spent 4-5 days at Pete's Pier a few years ago it was a nice stop lots of places in walking distance. including a couple of active watering holes just up the road.

Great trip! Watch out for the manatees. Are you going to swim with them? We did it last weekend (drove down) and it was amazing. And very easy.

How was the entrance into Crystal River? We drove out to Fort Island to take a look and it looked very "shoaly." The description of the entrance in Active Captain makes it seem kind of challenging, too.

Great trip! Watch out for the manatees. Are you going to swim with them? We did it last weekend (drove down) and it was amazing. And very easy.

How was the entrance into Crystal River? We drove out to Fort Island to take a look and it looked very "shoaly." The description of the entrance in Active Captain makes it seem kind of challenging, too.

I have been in and out of the Crystal River entrance a few times. Stay in the center of the channel. There is a turn that you don't won't to miss. Other than that an easy entrance. Took the small boat out fishing. Speckled trout was good in the Homassa River, and grouper fishing was good around Gomez rock.

Mr Jim, the entry and river was a piece of cake to a seasoned captain like me! Here's my secret.... Have a friend, who has lived there 30 years, meet you at the entrance an hour before high tide and follow him all the way to the bay at the top. Drop your anchor at the spot he is pointing to while on the radio giving you instructions like "drop the anchor here" Then tie him to your stern and give him a beer. I have found this technique works well in a lot of strange anchorages :) Yes, I swam with the manatees on the last trip and will probably do it again today. The sun is shining and life is good!

Glad you got across safe and sound, Blue. Good decision -- grab those weather windows when they are available!

Crystal River is a beautiful place. Never have been in there by boat, but used to go there to dive in my younger days. This was back in about 1965, and it was very different then from what it is now. :)

Your own personal harbor pilot. And cheap, too! Life is good for you. :thumb:

WooooHooooo!!!!! Y'all hve fun. I do know some folks that went from Kemah to Orange Beach this last week...offshore....and I don't think they spilled a drop out of their coffee cup...or beer mug!!! It was perfectly calm and sunny and warm their entire trip. Look for "Lone Palm" out there. It is a 65 foot custom Aluminum(oh excuse me....Al-uh-minium if that is the way you South Africans pronounce it...;) ) Sportfish. They generally do not run on plane to keep fuel costs down. They are right behind you.

Crystal River is a beautiful place. Never have been in there by boat, but used to go there to dive in my younger days. This was back in about 1965, and it was very different then from what it is now. :)

My parents trailered our 16' Regal Line Lancer over to Crystal River from Cocoa about 1960. Yep, very different from now and the water was much clearer. I loved the place.

Donsan, I sure did. He came down and inspected the boat yesterday and we are going out to dinner tonight. Great guy, who incidentally, bought a smaller Bayliner. Man knows his boats :)

Also be on the lookout for "Our Time"...a Carver 440...Steve and Kathleen.

"Adventure US" is another boat...Morgan 45 center cockpit. Michael and Janet. You may have met them at my house....Drag racer's mother!

It is Jeff and Belinda on the previously mentioned Lone Palm.

All these folks should be in and around you right now and headed in the same direction. All really good folks.

Thanks for the heads up John. This place is good for at least a week! I have heard that them dang South Africans say alumijum but am not sure :)

They have an Ale House here, within dinghy range...YAY!

Blue you are doing it right by spending plenty of time at each nice spot. I rushed through all those good spots on my trip. Want to do it your way next time!

Blue
Put "Relenti" on the hard-Doing bottom job, compound and wax, changing some seacocks and tuning prop. Two of the blades on the prop where dinged. Launching next Tuesday or Wednesday. I might have to install a larger wind screen with all the speed I'm going to pick up with the slick bottom and redone prop.:dance: Tell all hello for me and I sure wish I was joining ya'll on your voyage. Living the dream:)
P.S. Your average daily milage is getting longer.lol

Last edited:
Doug, Relenti is going to be awesome when you get her done! Quit wishing and start doing lol, we will wait for you if you hurry :)

Trying to catch up on the promised pictures while I have decent internet....
Destin Harbor and the canal from St Joe to Apalachicola.

Attachments

• Destin1.jpg
    Destin1.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Destin2.jpg
    Destin2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Canal1.jpg
    Canal1.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Canal2.jpg
    Canal2.jpg