just arrived in NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
I want to thank all of you who have helped me in some many ways this past month.:angel:

I left Ft. Pierce, FL April 29th and arrived NYC yesterday.

Of course, the last day was one of the most interesting, as I departed Barnegat Bay at 5:30 a.m. in 1/8 mile Visby fog and easterly winds.:ermm:
:popcorn:
I quickly got off course coming out of the inlet :eek:and at the last moment I was saved by a fishing boat that was leaving, 100ft on my left. I got behind him and followed him using radar until well clear of the inlet.:whistling:
With the limited visibility, I had to be ever more vigilant, so it was not as relaxing an ocean passage as usual. MarineTraffic.com was really helpful as I approached Ambrose Light-Sandy Hook traffic lanes. I was able to pick a gap between ships 2 hours in advance, and just before the Verrazano narrows, I turned to pass directly behind COSCO NAYOGA. He was also aware enough to give a one long horn, indicating a pass on my stbd. We were both in fog and had to use the radar to watch for other ships, outgoing form NY. Again marine traffic really helped and showed every large ship in the area.

I had timed my arrival at 2.5 hours before high tide. This gave me a +3 to 5.5 knot current from the Narrows to City Island (a distance of 21 NM). So I had calculated 3.5 hours, but took an hour less. If I had got it wrong, I’d probably still be struggling up the East River.:popcorn:
I want to thank all of you, as you give me the advice, confidence and knowledge I needed to make this trip. Spending the last week alone, really helped my learning curve. The best learning is always doing.
I promise to supple some more interesting details and pictures in the near future.

Thanks

Well, done Richard. We owe you thanks for letting us tag along. As you were travelling, we were also learning or refreshing our memories. Great trip.

I think the incident that you described coming out the last inlet bears out something that I have observed. Sometimes as we near our destination, we think the trip is in the "can". Nothing can happen now, but oh it does. We let our guard down for an instant, and whamo there it is. So glad it worked out well for you. A local knowledge captain can lead the way.

Enjoy your rest, but keep us in the loop as you cruise that beautiful Krogen.

Wxx3,
Well done, congrats! Where are you keeping her?

Great job! I look forward to some pictures. Now you can sit back and enjoy the Holiday.

Great job! I look forward to some pictures. Now you can sit back and enjoy the Holiday.

Holiday:confused:
Didn't I say I have boat:rolleyes:

I look at it like I've been on holiday for the last 10 years and now it's time to get to work.:D

Ok. Will keep boat at City Island til July 1st. Then take off for New England, Maine and probably Nova Scotia for the two summer months.

RIhcard

Then take off for New England, Maine and probably Nova Scotia for the two summer months.

If you will be wintering aboard NOW!!! is the time to figure the heating system and get it installed.

We have full time heat and it has been a delight in ME , as well as in the ditch heading south , late departure is no problem with heat.

Back
Top Bottom